3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 High performance? Tell me what the dealer won't.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to break in on this, the rumor is Ford also owns Allison . Who knew?
Fred
Old 04-09-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by FATCAT
If the automatic "outperforms" the G56, then you have just confirmed that the Dodge put a car manual tranny behind a truck engine. The G56 was the wrong tranny from the beginning. NO AUTOMATIC TRANNY should outperform a manual when comparing apples-to-apples. An Eaton 7 or 9 speed should be the option for these trucks, not a sub-compact car manual tranny.

I would hope the new 6.7L engine can mate with the "real" manual trannies from Eaton. I would expect to see people swaping out the G56 for even a rebuilt Eaton, to give buyers a real towing machine.
Yeah that is what I want!! I have been looking to do that!! I would love a 7spd something to get the RPM's down in it. I am tired of these auto's turning low revs and getting better milage!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bigsnakebud
Had to break in on this, the rumor is Ford also owns Allison . Who knew?
Fred
Oh crap well thats not good because didn't Allison just buy Honda which was planning to sell to KIA???
Old 04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

Fatcat
Why can't an auto be better than a slush box. The computer can think faster and make more dicisions in a milisecond than my old brain can plus it can interact with the ecm which thanks I cannot. Will it make mistakes sure, would I make mistakes, you bet!
Fred
Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Actually Allison is on the auction block...now that you mention Allison.

I think it was just a matter of time for dodge to get a super tranny behind te cummins. just too bad it took so long. im a die hard dodge cummins boy, but ill admit, our autos have been pathetic up untill now.\

But to get back on topic, the problem wont be getting performance out of the engine, it will be stopping the egr and DPF from clogging, and or setting a sensor off. I beleive if one could bypass the silly emissions stuff this engine has MASSIVE potential. 500 horse will be a programmer, 700 a stack, a different turbo, and tranny programming...and beyond is the fuel system!

I know we are the dodge cummins boys, but the fellas at Elite Diesel that specialize in the 6.0 powerjunk have already had a 6.4 powerstroke apart to compare older parts to newer, and the Peizo injectors are a work of art compared to injectors of the past...really sweet.

Dominick
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM

Well now that we have gotten way way off topic let me ask mine. Is there anyway to put a 7spd in our truck? Or put like an extra overdrive on the tailshaft like you could in the old hot rod days?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigsnakebud
Fatcat
Why can't an auto be better than a slush box. The computer can think faster and make more dicisions in a milisecond than my old brain can plus it can interact with the ecm which thanks I cannot. Will it make mistakes sure, would I make mistakes, you bet!
Fred
The key word in your post is "computer" annother electronic gizzmo that will brake. No way do I want a computer controling my transmission. Bad enought to have one controling the engine and stuff. If you know how to drive a manual, you'll do drive a truck a million time better than a au-toe-matic can. You'r connected to the truck, you can feel the engine. Manuals traditionally hold up far better than automatics and get better mileage.

If you want to yap on the phone and swill you coffee while driving then get a auto, if you want to control your truck and not visa-versa, get a manual.

Its just unfortunate that DC put such a weak manual tranny behind the new engine.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 PM

If you want to yap on the phone and swill you coffee while driving then get a auto, if you want to control your truck and not visa-versa, get a manual.

Its just unfortunate that DC put such a weak manual tranny behind the new engine.

Where have you gotten your info on this transmission...? More to the point, have you actually driven one...? They are excellent to drive.

They are not from a sub-compact, much more likely a design shared with the european-truck sector of Mercedies-Benz. What's so wrong with them anyway...? After some initial bugs were sorted out, I've really heard no complaints. I will purchase a G56-equipped truck next time around.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Where have you gotten your info on this transmission...? More to the point, have you actually driven one...? They are excellent to drive.

They are not from a sub-compact, much more likely a design shared with the european-truck sector of Mercedies-Benz. What's so wrong with them anyway...? After some initial bugs were sorted out, I've really heard no complaints. I will purchase a G56-equipped truck next time around.
Yeah the G56 is the real deal!! There are tons of differences in it versus the T-56!

Just pull the shifter out of a G56 and you will see they are a real tranny. Solid machined base with ball bearings in it. They can take the abuse and that is why they shift like they do they are a med duty stle tranny! I just wish it had one more gear. I have over 250K on mine and it has pulled way way to heavy of loads and have never had a prob yet!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 96_12V

The info I refer to about the G56 being weak is from Mercedes themselves. The do not put the G56 in any of their trucks that make over 500 lbft torque. Also, another dead give away is the derating of the new engine power if a manual is behind it.
These should be nothing less than a manual tranny that can hold a MINUMUM of 860 lbft. behind this engine.

Yes I did drive one about 2 years ago, but of course it was an empty truck so it did fine, slow by fine.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 AM

The info I refer to about the G56 being weak is from Mercedes themselves. The do not put the G56 in any of their trucks that make over 500 lbft torque. Also, another dead give away is the derating of the new engine power if a manual is behind it.
These should be nothing less than a manual tranny that can hold a MINUMUM of 860 lbft. behind this engine.

Yes I did drive one about 2 years ago, but of course it was an empty truck so it did fine, slow by fine.
The derating of the new 6.7 when hooked to the G56 is to save the clutch, not the transmission. Why should they have to design something to hold a "minumum of 860 lb-ft of torque"? We do not need that much power in a truck of this size. You drove one two years ago and so you can pass judgement that G56's are all junk? The G56 is far and away a better transmission than any of those growling old New Venture transmissions, all we do is work on those things.

I swear, all Dodge guys on the internet are nothing but a bunch of complainers. The trucks we are selling now are 10 times the truck we sold in the 90's and all everbody does is complain. Everytime we make an improvement it is not good enough, or we should have stuck with the old technology, all though it's not as bad over here as on TDR, I can't even stand to read over there for all the complaining.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=Luke S;1452588]The derating of the new 6.7 when hooked to the G56 is to save the clutch, not the transmission. Why should they have to design something to hold a "minumum of 860 lb-ft of torque"? We do not need that much power in a truck of this size.

What is wrong with a over built truck?? To me that means long term reliability. I am willing to pay more for a better stock clutch
Remember Guys The Superduty manual is a Eaton. Those manuals realy are junk!!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Remember Guys The Superduty manual is a Eaton. Those manuals realy are junk!!

No it's not, the Ford super duty's use manual transmissions made by the ZF company, GM used to use the same one before they discontinued manual transmsissions in HD pick-ups.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Luke S
No it's not, the Ford super duty's use manual transmissions made by the ZF company, GM used to use the same one before they discontinued manual transmsissions in HD pick-ups.
And this, sadly, may be the next choice for our trucks - if D-C really gets too many compalints, they may just drop manuals altogether for the HD truck. I don't mean to start a conflict, but if someone really has a legitimate complaint, perhaps they could offer sources for thier info.

As to the original question, it's probably still too early to tell if and when performance upgrads for the 6.7L will be legal or avalible readily. Your dealer probalby won't tell you, since they cannot stand behind aftermarket parts they don't have installed (such as dump bodies, snowplows, etc that are contracted through a dealer.)
Old 04-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke S
I swear, all Dodge guys on the internet are nothing but a bunch of complainers. The trucks we are selling now are 10 times the truck we sold in the 90's and all everbody does is complain. Everytime we make an improvement it is not good enough, or we should have stuck with the old technology, all though it's not as bad over here as on TDR, I can't even stand to read over there for all the complaining.

I think that hit the nail on the head!!!!!!! We, collectively, are a bunch of whiners.........no doubt about it. Some more than others though.

Also, I have driven some G56 trucks and I was very impressed with their shifting. Almost, sports car like....even for a big heavy truck. I don't read about many failures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 High performance? Tell me what the dealer won't.