3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 High performance? Tell me what the dealer won't.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camarogenius
That may be. If you prefer automatics, that's fine. I just like having a stick and a clutch. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd actually "want" to drive an automatic. I like shifting.

Enough about slush boxes already!!! What kind of numbers are they going to be able to squeeze out of the 6.7?
The issue here is, and Auto is an Auto is an Auto...some folks just don't want to drive one, they prefer shifting manually usuing a real clutch pedal. I'm one of those.

As for upgrades, there are federally-mandated emissions controls in place, and since it cost Cummins $$$$ to get them there, it's going to void your warranty and likely get you in some hot federal water if you do much to it at all. Ask the Powerstroke fans who are miffed that they can't even cut off and replace their ventilated exhaust tip on a 6.4! I'm sure there will be options, but a lot of it's going to have to go under the radar, somehow...
Old 04-03-2007, 07:26 PM

As far as D/C is concerned, My warrantee will be toilet paper as soon as I put the sticker on the door that says "GCVW 45,000".
Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 PM

Maybe you should buy a real truck for towing all that weight, they have lots of torque stock, and you can shift even more!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:54 PM

I chose a stick because so far the automatics have all been crap, even the 48RE in my 2003. I do like shifting, but on a truck I would prefer a GOOD auto. My dream truck will be a 2009 or 2010 RAM 4500 with the Aisin. Will I get it? Maybe, maybe not. For now my focus is paying off the one I just bought yesterday. If it turns out to be a good truck (unlike my 2003), it'll stick around for a long time.

Rob
Old 04-06-2007, 05:10 PM

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd actually "want" to drive an automatic. I like shifting.
Must be an age thing. Somewhere back in the 70's I'd had more than my share of manual shifting. I'd almost take a hand crank start out the front than a hog leg, but different strokes etc.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:22 PM

I see the guys point. I like shifting too. On the track, heel toe downshifting when entering a 90mph turn..sure that is just fun. On the street? In a truck that is pulling that race car? Um..no, that gets in the way of my coffee grabbin hand.

Bill
Old 04-06-2007, 08:21 PM

Maybe I shouldn't give away my age so much.

Now, if I can just get some good information on how that new 6.7 is going to be; especially compared to how that new 6.4 in the Ford is going to be... Gees, what's a guy to do?! My old Dodge pulls harder than any of the new offerings. I like the Ford looks and ride the best, but I sure can't complain even a little about the Cummins I have now, and really can't even complain about the old Dodge. I guess I'm gonna be a chicken and just sit back and see how other guys like the new trucks before I make any move.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:46 AM

The thing I like about a manuel tranny is it is super easy to work on! If you have been in one you have been in all of them! An auto is a little different and can get a little costly! I would love to have an auto tranny but I just worry about the reliability in pulling large heavy loads all the time! I have done a clutch job on the road in my travels around the country in now time. With an auto I would probably still be sitting there wonderin what the heck to do next.

Maybe in a few more years I can get an auto they seem to be getting better and better but not just yet for me.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:29 AM

I have the same issue... I want a truck I can keep a LONG time and not worry about a major repair. EVERY automatic transmission will eventually fail. A good manual transmission, as long as you change the fluid every 50k or so and don't bang on it too hard, will hold up for much longer.

I'll admit I was impressed with the durability of the 48RE in my 2003, particularly since I fried a built 47RE in my 1996 in only 5000 miles. But I'm going back to a stick because the computer problems in my 03 caused too many transmission problems... it wasn't the tranny's fault itself, it was the computer that wouldn't tell it to lock up the TC.

Rob
Old 04-07-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dargo
Maybe I shouldn't give away my age so much.

Now, if I can just get some good information on how that new 6.7 is going to be; especially compared to how that new 6.4 in the Ford is going to be... Gees, what's a guy to do?! My old Dodge pulls harder than any of the new offerings. I like the Ford looks and ride the best, but I sure can't complain even a little about the Cummins I have now, and really can't even complain about the old Dodge. I guess I'm gonna be a chicken and just sit back and see how other guys like the new trucks before I make any move.
You won't like the fuel mileage of the ne 6.4L. My wife is averaging about 11.1 in hers.

No arms rests on the seats, rides like a cob!

It runs good and feels stronger than our 6.7L but, from a 50mph punch the Dodge gets about 1.5 truck lengths on it.

Don't get me wrong, they are sexy looking and so is the interior but........I think with the MegaCab Ford is in deep.......

Oh and the new tranny in the 6.7L appears to be WAY better than the torqueshift!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:00 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm.
So, let's review. I asked a question about the 6.7 engine, and it turns into a love-fest for slushboxes.
So, if I want to know about 6.7 performance, do I need to ask a tranny question?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:33 PM

It seems to work out that way sometimes. HaHa

Last edited by texbeer2; 04-08-2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2007, 02:04 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm.
So, let's review. I asked a question about the 6.7 engine, and it turns into a love-fest for slushboxes.
So, if I want to know about 6.7 performance, do I need to ask a tranny question?

No you have to keep the rumor going that!!!!!!! get ready!!!!

FORD OWNS CUMMINS!!!!!!!!!!

That will get everyone going and all made and you will have everyones attention and you are good to ask the question!!!

Sorry to get it off track thats about the way it goes then towards the end we seem to get back on topic!!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't the G56 manual still available in the 6.7?? This thread turned into a love/hate auto tranny thread.......but if you don't like them....can't you just buy a G56?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by EMD-RUN8
... Also, I'd take a REAL hard look at the Aisin automatic. It is a fine piece, should easily outperform a G56 and have a taller overdrive to boot. It is not a "new" transmission and already has a proven track record behind it as well. I've driven a 6.7/Aisin combo 3500 Regular CC and it was VERY impressive! You owe it to yourself to at least try one.
If the automatic "outperforms" the G56, then you have just confirmed that the Dodge put a car manual tranny behind a truck engine. The G56 was the wrong tranny from the beginning. NO AUTOMATIC TRANNY should outperform a manual when comparing apples-to-apples. An Eaton 7 or 9 speed should be the option for these trucks, not a sub-compact car manual tranny.

I would hope the new 6.7L engine can mate with the "real" manual trannies from Eaton. I would expect to see people swaping out the G56 for even a rebuilt Eaton, to give buyers a real towing machine.

Quick Reply: 6.7 High performance? Tell me what the dealer won't.