3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2007 or 2009 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Your view on the 6.7 is skewed, and you may have been misinformed. The Late 08 and most 09 trucks have very little emission issues. The '10s even fewer. The early models had a few growing pains, but the bluetec system has become functional.

Now that being said, I still dont like it, I feel there is no need for it, but it is what it is.

Just in case you are not aware, the 5.9's blow their exhaust through the turbo also.
Well, if I am looking at it sideways, it is because I feel the pain of having to continuously take it back to the dealer for a (sticking turbo) code. Maybe this is okay with you, but not with me. As for liking the engine, sure, I like its power and I think it would be really great if it wasn't fouled up by all of the emissions garbage. But the Laws of the Land say it HAS to be there and I believe in obeying the laws of the land EVEN if I disagree with them. If you are not having any troubles with your truck, great, more power to you. I just know that mine is getting to be a real pain in the butt. If it is this bad while it is still relatively new (18k), what is it going to be like when it has a some more miles and is out of warranty?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by notrader
Well, if I am looking at it sideways, it is because I feel the pain of having to continuously take it back to the dealer for a (sticking turbo) code. Maybe this is okay with you, but not with me. As for liking the engine, sure, I like its power and I think it would be really great if it wasn't fouled up by all of the emissions garbage. But the Laws of the Land say it HAS to be there and I believe in obeying the laws of the land EVEN if I disagree with them. If you are not having any troubles with your truck, great, more power to you. I just know that mine is getting to be a real pain in the butt. If it is this bad while it is still relatively new (18k), what is it going to be like when it has a some more miles and is out of warranty?
I understand what you mean bud, and I am not disagreeing with you. I was just stating that in your statement, you generalize your troubles and extend them to ALL 6.7's. At no time did I say that the 6.7's were trouble free, just that they have been improving since release. Likewise, it is not accurate in you implying that all of the 6.7's are troublesome.

Another thing, with no signature, a member is unable to know what vehicle you have.

It sucks that you are having trouble with yours.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BlueTec? Whats that???

I love my smarty...
Old 10-07-2010, 03:04 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I simply love it that we have OPTIONS! Thank you Smarty!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
I understand what you mean bud, and I am not disagreeing with you. I was just stating that in your statement, you generalize your troubles and extend them to ALL 6.7's. At no time did I say that the 6.7's were trouble free, just that they have been improving since release. Likewise, it is not accurate in you implying that all of the 6.7's are troublesome.

Another thing, with no signature, a member is unable to know what vehicle you have.

It sucks that you are having trouble with yours.
What really sucks is that Dodge/Cummins put this into the marketplace before they HAD to and before they got it working properly. Doesn't it make you angry with them that they released a defective product on us.

By the way, fyi, while I was in the dealership, I was looking at the advertising for the 2011 Dodge Diesel. The advertised horsepower is down to 305 and the torque rating at 610. It is also being advertised as California Idle Certified.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 AM

Based on what you said, don't buy either one of them. If you just HAVE TO HAVE a diesel, get an 06 or earlier that has the 5.9. Until the folks that build these things can come up with a better design than blowing exhaust through the turbo and putting a filter that is gonna stop up, on the exhaust, these things are just going to be trouble just waiting to happen. They sure screwed up a good truck.

By the way, the BlueTec Blues have not been worked out. The J35 flash did not accomplish anything except reduce my fuel mileage.
I will agree with the last part of your statement. Ever since the J35 flash, my mpg's have not been good. I went from an 18 mpg average to 14.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:14 PM

not sure when j35 was out but i got mine flashed a month ago because of turbo code no issues since and still do 21 on the highway. 15 in town. which is way better than my 2nd gen so i'm happy as hell with mine
Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

The advertised horsepower is down to 305 and the torque rating at 610. It is also being advertised as California Idle Certified.
That would be a C&C truck w/ those ratings only.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:03 PM

11k miles on my grocery getter and not 1 CEL. 16 MPG hwy or city. (for what i use it for, going to work and getting groceries, I might should have bought a gasser, but I have dreams of a toy hauler....someday....
Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 PM

Get an '03 if your worried about emissions. Thats what I did. Nothing there to funk up a perfectly good engine.