3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

$593 for 67K emissions service?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$593 for 67K emissions service?!

Gents,
My truck has been randomly running like a dog for a while now. I had my brother take the truck to a local dealer and they claim that while nothing is wrong with the truck, it does require its 67K service on the emissions system because "...that's what is choking it." My first question is how the system could be perfectly functional and simultaneously detracting from performance? Also, doesn't the emissions system carry a warranty for service, especially service that results from a loss performance or a malfunction of the system? Let me know what you think...

BlackBanshee
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the 67k service is just like changing your oil. warranty does not pay for preventative maintenance.

buy the CCV filter and change it yourself. save money. what they are doing is also wanting to clean the turbo and egr. buy egr gaskets and the ccv filter, replace filter and clean egr yourself. save money brother
Old 02-01-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
the 67k service is just like changing your oil. warranty does not pay for preventative maintenance.

buy the CCV filter and change it yourself. save money. what they are doing is also wanting to clean the turbo and egr. buy egr gaskets and the ccv filter, replace filter and clean egr yourself. save money brother
Why does this not fall under the 80k 8 year emission warranty that most cars fall under.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Chapter President

because its preventative maintenance. there is nothing that has "failed' like the dpf, cat, egr cooler, or egr valve.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Chapter President

a little info for you guys.

description of the CCV system

The Closed Crankcase Ventilation System (CCV) consists of several parts to make it functional. One part is the filter. The filter is serviceable and prevents oil mist from entering the discharge tube of the CCV system. It is not cleaned, but replaced at 60,000 mile intervals.

The crankcase breather assembly is integrated into the cylinder head cover (3) and is serviced separately. The external fittings (2) to the breather tube and breather drain tube are serviceable.

The crankcase breather assembly is integrated into the cylinder head cover and corresponding breather cover. Crankcase gasses travel into the breather cavity under the breather cover where they pass through a filtering media (serviceable maintenance component) which separates the oil from the crankcase gasses. The oil drains back into the engine block through two hoses (2) on the left side of the engine.

The crankcase gasses are directed through the Crankcase Depression Regulator (CDR) valve which allows the system to maintain a constant positive pressure in the crankcase. The CDR valve is a non-serviceable component located on the underside of the breather cover. Clean crankcase gasses flow from the CDR valve into the fresh air side of the turbocharger compressor.

The closed crankcase ventilation valve is used to vent the crankcase gases back into the intake of engine. If the crankcase ventilation filter becomes too restrictive, under high intake vacuum situations, the closed crankcase ventilation prevents the engine from syphoning crankcase gases/oil from the crankcase of the engine. The closed crankcase ventilation valve is located under the crankcase ventilation filter cover at the top of the engine.

Perform Service IndicatorYour vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed. Emissions maintenance includes replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, cleaning of the EGR Cooler, and cleaning of the EGR Valve. The procedure for clearing and resetting the "Perform Service" indicator message is located in the appropriate Service Information

to clear the over head perform service message

Vehicle Issue Perform service message displayed in the overhead / evic.;Upon start up the overhead displays a perform service message.

System or Component Customer Concern (No DTCs);Message Center / CMTC / EVIC / OTIS / Traveler / VIC;Yes - Continuously
Recommendation PERFORM SERVICE INDICATOR - RESET The “Perform Service” message will display on the EVIC each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position to indicate a emission maintenance is required. To reset the “Perform Service” indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure: 1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine). 2. Press and release the brake pedal two times. 3. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly two times within 10 seconds. 4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position. NOTE: If the indicator message illumination when you start the vehicle, the “Perform Service” indicator did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM

My truck is approaching this point in its life and I plan to do the work myself. I get the CCV filter swap and the EGR valve cleaning. Does anything else in the EGR equipment group, besides the valve, that also needs to be cleaned? Isn't there an EGR cooler?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by jswar
My truck is approaching this point in its life and I plan to do the work myself. I get the CCV filter swap and the EGR valve cleaning. Does anything else in the EGR equipment group, besides the valve, that also needs to be cleaned? Isn't there an EGR cooler?
Perform Service IndicatorYour vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed. Emissions maintenance includes replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, cleaning of the EGR Cooler, and cleaning of the EGR Valve. The procedure for clearing and resetting the "Perform Service" indicator message is located in the appropriate Service Information
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess the next question is how to clean the EGR valve and cooler.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Chapter President

remove it and get a nice solvent. we usually toss them in the parts washer with high heat. remove the electronic side of the egr valve though
Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 PM

So let me see if I understand this...
I need:
1. CCV filter
2. EGR gaskets or seals
3. Solvent for cleaning the EGR cooler and valve
4. Anything else?

Is there a set of definitive instructions for this procedure?
Where can I get all the necessary parts?

Thanks,

BlackBanshee
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by blackbanshee
So let me see if I understand this...
I need:
1. CCV filter
2. EGR gaskets or seals
3. Solvent for cleaning the EGR cooler and valve
4. Anything else?

Is there a set of definitive instructions for this procedure?
Where can I get all the necessary parts?

Thanks,

BlackBanshee
get a couple of those small stainless wire brushes to clean some soot off and get ready to get yourself sick as to how dirty your intake is going to be and why you will want to do the deletes and do a water meth kit to clean all that soot out.

11mm deep socket to get the v-band clamps off
10mm socket to get egr valve off
8mm socket to remove bat-wing cover

sorry but can't remember off the top of my head what the egr cooler nuts are but want to think they are 15mm

will also need a bucket to catch coolant as you will be draining a few gallons out to get below the cooler level and reinstall or just buy new coolant and do a drain and fill.

there is a bleeder port on the passenger side above the t-stat. fill engine with coolant and remove that bleeder screw until coolant comes out. reinstall plug and start engine. get to operating temps and check for exhaust leaks around cooler and egr valve and coolant leaks and then check for coolant level. don't beat on the truck for a couple days because of the possibilities of an air pocket inside the motor. they usually dissipate in after a couple heat cycles. top off over flow jug and clear the perform service indicator with instructions above.

if there is a cummins dealer around your area you will need the serial numbers off the engine. take those into the parts department and tell them the gaskets you need.. either that or go to the dealer. they are not expensive but you will save money at the cummins dealer vs the dodge dealer. cummins does not have the capabilities to run your VIN number to get the correct parts. only the cummins serial number.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 PM

I appreciate the info cbrahs...do you happen to have a play-by-play set of instructions? I'm not terribly experienced with these systems and the last thing I want to do is make this truck run worse.

BlackBanshee
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Chapter President

egr cooler cleaning

Remove EGR Cooler.
Spray the internal cavity of EGR Cooler with hot tap water for 10 minutes.
Plug EGR Cooler outlet (1) with a locally obtained rubber expansion plug to make a watertight seal.
Following instruction on the container, mix MOPAR(R) EGR System Cleaner and hot tap water with a ratio of one part EGR Cleaner, four parts water.
Position EGR Cooler with the outlet (1) facing up. Fill EGR Cooler with hot tap water and MOPAR(R) EGR System Cleaner until cooler is completely full. Soak for one hour .
Remove plug from EGR Cooler outlet (1). Drain cleaning solution from cooler. Discard according to local governmental regulations.
Rinse cooler using hot tap water until all cleaning solution has been rinsed clean. Dry completely.
Install EGR Cooler.

6.7L EGR VALVE CLEANING PROCEDURE

Remove EGR valve assembly from engine.
Remove four mounting screws (4) from EGR valve motor (3).
Remove valve motor (6) and shim (5) from EGR valve housing (1). Motor (6) and shim (5) must be kept for reassembly. The original EGR valve motor and its shim must be reinstalled onto the original EGR valve housing.
Use two fingers to press down on valve spring retainer (3) to unlock two valve keepers (2). If valve keepers will not release using finger pressure, locate a 5/8 inch deep socket to the spring retainer (3). Gently tap on the socket with a small hammer to release keepers, then use two fingers and press for keeper removal.
Remove valve spring retainer (3) and valve spring (2).
Lightly press on valve stem (1) about 3/8 inch to force valve faces from valve seats.
Using a small nylon scrubbing brush, lightly brush away loose soot from EGR valve housing.
The EGR valve shaft stem (3) is comprised of two valve faces (1) on two valve seats. Using the same small nylon scrubbing brush, lightly brush away loose soot from stem (3), valve seat (2) and also from valve seat on EGR valve housing.
Completely submerge valve housing using a mixture of hot tap water and MOPAR(R) EGR System Cleaner (ESC). Mix cleaning solution 1 part ESC and 4 parts water. Allow cleaning solution to soak for 1 hour .
Remove assembly from cleaning solution. Completely remove remaining soot from valve stems, both valve seats, and both valve faces using a small nylon scrubbing brush. Dispose of cleaning solution per local governmental regulations.
Rinse EGR valve housing in hot tap water until all cleaning solution is rinsed clean. Dry completely.
Assemble valve spring (2) and retainer (3) to housing.
Position valve keepers (2). Press down on retainer (3) until groves on valve keepers lock into valve stem (1).
Install original shim (5) and original motor (6) to housing. Motor is not indexed. Rotate motor until its electrical connector is pointed towards front of vehicle. Install four mounting screws (7).
Install EGR valve assembly to engine
Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 AM

cbrahs - Thanks for the detailed instructions!! I've saved them to my pc and printed out a copy to keep in the truck...so as not to have to ask again.

I do have one last question. Will the truck benefit from doing this cleaning process 10K miles early? The reason I ask is that I have a big trip planned for the later part of the summer...towing a 10k lb. toyhauler through the CO Rockies for a couple of weeks. I won't hit the 65K mark until after I come home. Before winter arrived...before the winter fuel hit Pa., my truck mileage was consistently dropping. An empty/truck only 500 mile interstate trip netted only 16.5 mpg. I thought that these motors were supposed to get better mileage as they broke in. That same trip netted 19+ mpg back when the truck had just under 10k miles on it.
Thanks again for your help!
Jim
Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Chapter President

winter temps are heck on fuel mileage cause things dont get warm enough and stay there. I lose 3mpg every winter and back up in the summer times. it won't hurt to do the cleaning process early but the perform service light will still come on at 67k miles

Quick Reply: $593 for 67K emissions service?!