3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Wow... close call!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... close call!!

So I went to the eye doctor this morning. Finished up my appointment. I happen to decide not to take the highway home. As I'm driving down the road my truck starts drifting a little bit to the right. I go to turn the wheel and nothing happens. The wheel is totally free... no resistance!! :O So my truck starts going off the road and I slam on the brakes. Luckily there happened to be a driveway right where the truck decided to pull off. I stopped 2 feet short of going into a ditch... .and if I had been 5 feet further back I would've been in one. I get out and check the front end....

Name:  IMG_0621.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  60.1 KB

The tie rod that connects the drag link to the pitman arm just came apart!! I was so lucky that the wheels didn't just turn to full lock and roll the truck... or that I didn't crash into on-coming traffic... or the ditch. Not to mention that I didn't take the highway!

The truck has 65,000 miles on it. I do drive on a logging road once a week... but man... I've owned a lot of trucks that have seen a lot more abuse on and off road and never had a failure like that!! Scary!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:00 PM

Makes me even more proud to own a Dodge. Pathetic.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HOLY POOPY IN YOUR PANTS!!!!!

That is scary! Good thing a wife or something wasn't driving, and good thing it didn't come off on a high speed corner on a bridge!!!!

Wheels should not turn right or left if caster is set okay. But just not steering is kinda freaky!

I'm going to wiggle mine every oil change from now on.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:11 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you been following this thread? it has info on 03 and above Rams:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...8-t230988.html
Old 02-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Thanks I had forgot about that thread.

I think the thuren kit at the end of the thread will be my next upgrade!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Inform someone in the hype media, they can pull a Toyota on Chrysler and we all get new ball joints, etc.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Man, you are lucky, and I'm glad you're ok!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by Easy_C
Thanks I had forgot about that thread.

I think the thuren kit at the end of the thread will be my next upgrade!
Did you run your vin # to see if you were on the list?

A call to your service manager might get you all new components free of charge ..
Old 02-26-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that link was on 08-09 trucks, but there was a recall on older models for defective steering components. Check your dealer
Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you ever notice any change in feel or was it working fine one second and gone the next?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM

I know that feeling all too well! I had a 95 chevy z71 for several years before I got into diesels. One day I was driving to a work christmas party when upon slowing to a stoplight the whole truck shuttered and the steering wheel wobbled pretty good. I had been having problems with getting someone to properly balance my tires, so I just chalked it up to another balance issue. I made a turn and went another 2 or 3 miles, made another turn and got about 100 yards when the truck and steering wheel wobbled more violently. As I hit the brakes I could hear a tire skidding. I had two passengers with me, and out of concern I promptly pulled off the road. When I got out I could see the tie rod laying across the lower control arm. The bolt that connects the left tie rod end to the center link had broken off, allowing the tie rod end to come out of the hole. I know that the left tire had to be fishtailing itself to death both times when the truck and wheel wobbled. Luckily since the truck had a center link and two tie rods on each side I still had one tire to maintain some level of control, otherwise it might have been ugly. It sure makes you pay closer attention to the steering issues.

And by the way, I'm sure those Ford/GM guys will love to use this thread to make fun of Dodges, but as I am proof above, it can happen to any truck. A friend of mine's f250 had a similar issue several years ago. Ain't no one immune!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by 93-331-29psi
that link was on 08-09 trucks, but there was a recall on older models for defective steering components. Check your dealer
Yes the header says 08-09 trucks, but it covers 03-09 models,

Here is the link to plug in your vin to see if you are on the recall list:

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/
Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 PM

My truck is listed on there as incomplete. I'll be stopping by dodge this weekend. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Did you ever notice any change in feel or was it working fine one second and gone the next?
And no I never noticed any change... it seemed to be fine and then... nothing.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:24 PM
With age comes the cage

No problemo.. glad your OK to tell the story, tie rod ends falling apart is quite common on these trucks. the DTR thread link I listed has a post midway that had the same thing happen to him. I know of several myself some with less than 30K on them..

I have all new parts on my truck courtesy of this recall, I hope it works out for you as well..

Quick Reply: Wow... close call!!