3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Winter Front - Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Front - Report

It's finally cold (30s today) enough so I put on the winter front that I boought a couple of months ago from Dodge. It installed really easy - a couple of velcro strips to clean and stick on, and the rest just clips on. Looks kike good quality, and it fits good

I started out with 2 flaps open & 2 closed, and it made a big difference in how fast the engine warmed up, and it got to full operating temp which wasn't the case without the front. By the end of next week its supposed to be in the 50s, so I can check and make sure the engine doesn't get too hot on a warmer day.

Main thing I wanted was for the engine to get to full operating temp during the winter, so I don't get problems with deposits. But having a warm cab will be a good feature, too.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:15 PM
LCH

One thing I noticed with mine is I lost my factory fast idle, even with all flaps open. I could let it idle for however long and no fast idle, pull the winter front and fast idle came right up in a few minutes. So don't think something is wrong if it doesn't idle up. The tech said the computer can sence the ambient temp passing through the raidaitor. The front will help you maintain your temp like you want though. LCH
Old 11-11-2006, 07:22 PM

That's good info on the fast idle - I was thinking about having the fast idle feature enabled next week. Would that be a waste of $$ then, with the front installed?

How many flaps do you leave open in differents temps? With all 4 open, does it cool enough to run the truck if its in the 50s or 60s?

Thx for the reply
Old 11-11-2006, 08:38 PM
LCH

I always open all the flaps if it gets up in the 50's or 60's and your driving habits factor in also like when I pull my inclosed trailer the harder I run it the warmer it stays.
Quote:I was thinking about having the fast idle feature enabled next week. Would that be a waste of $$ then, with the front installed? I would say it depends on how you look at it. If I plug in, the water in the block is already warm so there is no need to let it fast idle, just let it run to get the oil moving and off I go but if I can't plug in than it will never warm up without the fast idle no matter how long it sits and idles.
Another option might be the winter front and for situations that you can't plug in you could get one of the adjustable rods that hook on the stering wheel and reaches the go pedal at the RPM of your choice. I've seen these in mags and on the net pretty cheap.
One thing I didn't notice is if it says in your sig if you have an auto. If thats the case you might get the fast idle through the cruse control and you can set it at what you want.
I'm sure there will be more ideas from these guys. if not you can do a search, this topic pops up this time of year. Hope this helps, LCH
Old 11-11-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by RDM16CTD
How many flaps do you leave open in differents temps? With all 4 open, does it cool enough to run the truck if its in the 50s or 60s?

Thx for the reply
I noticed with all 4 flaps open, my fan clutch will start cycling when the outside temps reach about 60 degrees. This is while running empty down the highway.