3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Winter coming - battery time

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter coming - battery time

Hey All,

Kinda bummed out here... I replaced the batteries in the 06 just under 6 years ago. I searched and researched and decided on the Die Hard Platinum at that time and they are done..... I've noticed over the summer that they just didn't have the "umpfh" any more while starting. Then a few weeks ago a light was left on in the work trailer and it drained the trailer battery and both Platinum’s. I jumped started the truck and left for work. Now, if it sits for more then 8 hours, it ain’t gonna start.

I'm leaning towards lead acid serviceable batteries...... For the sake of "prepare for winter" discussion. What batteries are you having good luck with?

PS Sears dropped the Platinum battery line.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
3yrs on NAPA batteries. I modified my hold downs to accept Grp31 battereis.

I've been impressed with Interstate as well.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha well I ws going to suggest Die Hard Platinums.
Suppose it's possible to kill anything, but they should last a bit longer. 6years isn't bad, but not stellar.
The Platinums are re branded Odyssey AGM batteries which have proven very good in my truck.
Mis matched pair, first one bought in 2008 or 09 for my boat. Used it in boat until 2013. Second one bought in 2011 used in boat for a couple years. Both batteries sat most of the year on a maintainer.
Swapped both into the truck in 2013 and they are still kicking. Including 2 winters in AK, one of which was on bad injectors that required a lot of cranking and ran em dead twice.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I seem to have had good luck in the past with the Optima gel cell batteries. I havnt had to replace the batteries in my truck yet but planned on replacing with those when the time comes. They always did a good job for us in the tractors when we swapped out the 2 6volt batteries for 1 Optima red top.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I considered going AGM this next time but honestly, my Interstate's have been more than stellar over many vehicles.

The ones in Greenie are now 6 years old and still crank hard, I am still fairly sure I will change them out in November as a preemptive strike.

I never like to wait too long on the vehicles that have to start, no excuses. I got almost 5 years out of the ones I replaced in lesser applications ( Kept them rather than turn them in ) Those were Duralast Golds ( Autozone ) that were in the truck when I bought it. They seemed to be a pretty good battery.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:47 AM

I've been reading that the sealed batteries like a fairly low charge rate so they don't gas out. With these high amp alternators I could see how the battery could see a very high charge rate. This might explain why this set's performance substantially declined after a deep discharge and recharge by the trucks electrical system. Anyways, I think lead acid is in my future...... What has been your favorite maintance schedule and method for your batteries?
Old 09-13-2016, 12:26 PM

hmmm - might try to resurrect these batteries ...ideas
Old 09-15-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Over six years with the Diehard Platinum and still going strong. Sadly Sears has stop carrying the Platinum. Recently a buddy of mine installed a set of Northstar AGM's and is happy with them. Similar to the Platinum/Odyssey.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced mine today.They were a little over 13 years olden I figure I won so they got replaced. I replaced them with Deka
Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 AM

Batts

I am still using the originals, I think when you get two good ones, they really work well in the 'team' situation.

I had the 'Caterpillar' brand battery number that fit our trucks written down, but I don't see it here on my desk.
I Have bought three NAPA Legend ( made by Deka) batteries here in the last six months, for my parents automobiles and one for my Jeep. They have all been the 'glass mat' technology. Working well so far.
I guess if the batts in the Ram went bad today, and (there is no longer a sears withing 100 miles ) I would buy a NAPA Legend AGM for the truck.

they have a pretty good warrenty
Biscuit
Old 10-08-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Diehard Platinum has a 4 year warranty. Which means you can expect 6-7 years of use out of it, depending on where you live. It's essentially the same battery as a Northstar or an Odyssey.

The AGM's really only have two advantages over lead-acid: a sealed case, and better vibration resistance. But they generally don't last any longer in routine use.

Over the years, Autozone Duralast batteries have developed an excellent reputation. I'v been using them for years with good results.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:21 PM

I have Autozone Duralast golds in my 2005.Going on 5yrs and still strong.Factory batteries went 7yrs and were still starting fine,i only replaced them because winter was coming and i go to work at 5am and don't need any surprises.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:33 PM

o reily brand gel batteries. working fine on my for the last few years. optimas build quality is not what it used to be IMHO. had to replace some optimas after 1 season in New Orleans
Old 01-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Love the power of my new AGM's, we will see about reliability.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:17 AM

I know I'm a little late to this party; My DieHard Platinums lasted 2 years 2 months. Now they won't hold a charge. Voltage is sitting at 11.5 volts 3 mins after shutdown. I'm eyeballing some Interstates now.

Quick Reply: Winter coming - battery time