3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Wicks fuel filters, How do they compare

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicks fuel filters, How do they compare

I was recently checking and it looks like NAPA, Autozone, Advanced and O Rileys carry wicks fuel filters for the cummins. How do they compare to fleet filters?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Don't know how they compare but I've run WIX for oil, gas, diesel fuel, hydraulic oil, you name it and have had zero problems... so I see no issue with running them.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You guys need to search fuel filter and do some reading. The WIX filter is not a water separating filter and can ruin your injectors. The requirements for Bosch injectors has been changed and you shouldn't run the Mopar standard filter.

I'll save you a lot of reading. Run the Fleetguard FS 19856 or the Baldwin 7977.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have about 300k mile between a couple trucks and all I run is wix.I never had a problem,I change my fuel filters every second oil change and I change my oil at 3000 miles.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 PM

It makes no sense to be stuborn and run a Wix filter just to say you do. The Baldwin and Fleetgaurd filters are about the same price. And they are the proper filters to be used with our common rails system. The wix filters do not catch the particals that cause damage to you very expensive injectors. It was recently released that Bosch to run a 5mic filter, thw wix is something like 10mic. It has been covered a zillion times. If your trying to run a Wix just becasue you can, don't cry when your 2,000 dollar injectors get shot becasue you got bad fuel and your filter couldnt take care of it.

You can drive a topfuel dragster to get groceries, but that doesn't mean it's the best means to do it.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run the Baldwins for over a year now and have no Issues in 14K mi.

And did I mention feel better with the 5 micron protection!!!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 AM

dont use wix filters I was unaware at the time and i had my truck in for warranty work and I was denied warranty because of the freakin filter will never run another in my truck
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by bumpytruck
I have about 300k mile between a couple trucks and all I run is wix.I never had a problem,I change my fuel filters every second oil change and I change my oil at 3000 miles.
The WIX is fine for your 91, but if that 05 common rail loses injectors don't say you weren't warned!!

And again.... You may not have problems initially running the wrong equipment, but if a warranty concern comes up, or you get a wet batch of fuel that the improper filter can't handle..... How much are injectors? $350? More? Plus labor? I've heard of estimates coming back well over $3000.

The best filter for your truck, and the one approved by Cummins and Bosch cost about $14. Run whichever you like, I'm just relaying information.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
It makes no sense to be stuborn and run a Wix filter just to say you do. The Baldwin and Fleetgaurd filters are about the same price. And they are the proper filters to be used with our common rails system. The wix filters do not catch the particals that cause damage to you very expensive injectors. It was recently released that Bosch to run a 5mic filter, thw wix is something like 10mic. It has been covered a zillion times. If your trying to run a Wix just becasue you can, don't cry when your 2,000 dollar injectors get shot becasue you got bad fuel and your filter couldnt take care of it.

You can drive a topfuel dragster to get groceries, but that doesn't mean it's the best means to do it.

All you internet filter experts really need to chill. I can promise you that my truck has had nothing but WIX filters and I have a 133,000 on the original injectors with plenty of fueling boxes and such. I have 2 other friends that run them (we buy them together) that have well over 200,000 on stock injectors. So who is stubborn? the guys with resuts or the bandwagon internet experts?

When my injectors finally go, I can assure you it won't be becasue of the filters.

the other thing, can someone show me and I am being serious, something from dodge that states they will void your warranty for a wix fuel filter? I have a family member that works at Chrysler and I mentioned this to him and he was unaware and said he would like to see it.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 AM

That's great. Fact of the matter is, the filters are not adequate. Bosch requires better filtration, and it makes zero sense to buy an inferior filter that costs the same amount. I can assure you that when the injectors go in my truck it will not be from the filter, and the best part. If I have warranty left (which I won't) but if I did, mine are covered. Yours are not.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by bumpytruck

shame on you.

How many injector issues have I seen on here. Where they all runing junk filters? I doubt it.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
That's great. Fact of the matter is, the filters are not adequate. Bosch requires better filtration, and it makes zero sense to buy an inferior filter that costs the same amount. I can assure you that when the injectors go in my truck it will not be from the filter, and the best part. If I have warranty left (which I won't) but if I did, mine are covered. Yours are not.

again, please provide me an actual chrysler document because I am very curious. This family member isn't someone who works on the assembly line so I really would like him to look into this. I can't find anything that states a WIX filter will void your warranty on the fuel system.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by RonP
again, please provide me an actual chrysler document because I am very curious. This family member isn't someone who works on the assembly line so I really would like him to look into this. I can't find anything that states a WIX filter will void your warranty on the fuel system.
Didn't Zethtays just say he was denied warranty while using a WIX filter?

I'm done arguing with people about specs and warranty. It's a no win situation. I did all my searching myself and I talked to the manufacturers. I put a lot of effort into learning about the proper filters for my truck. There's a lot of information out there and a lot of it is bad. Too many people run Fram filters and 'Never had a problem!!' Well hats off to you guys!

I'm sure I could stuff a toilet paper roll in my filter housing and drive down the block without a problem. I'm not trying to see if I can get lucky and run a poor filter and get away with it. I want to run a GREAT filter and sleep well at night.

Everyone needs to do their own research and come to their own conclusions. I can't convince someone to use a Fleetguard any more than I can push a rope.

Here's what I know, you can use it in your research:
Cummins and Bosch require a water separating fuel filter. WIX does not specify their filters as water separating.
Bosch requires a 7 micron absolute rated filter. WIX does not meet this rating.

So if the filter you use does not meet the minimum specifications required by the manufacturer, I'd say you will find that on page one of your warranty book. Ask your Dodge friend if a toilet paper roll will work for a fuel filter and see what he says. When he says no, ask him why, and he'll tell you the product has to meet specifications set by the manufacturer.

So far WIX has not met those specs. You may have run them, you may not have had trouble. That does not make it right. You may be causing damage that is about to show up $oon.

I ran a 26,000# dump truck for hundreds of miles with nothing but an emergency brake once. But I don't tell people it is the right thing to do.

No arguments from me. You all do what you want. I'm just trying to help!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 AM

friend im just telling you of my experience with wix and chrysler warranty work im sure some mechanics would never open there mouth about but the one that had my truck did and they not only denied me warranty work they turned my vin and truck over to chrysler and voided my 100000 mile warranty at 4200o miles because of the wix filter and my maganaflow exhaust system. I couldnt provide you the line of the warranty information that says if you use wix your warranty is void but I can show you the bill for two injectors and the letter from chrysler stating why my warranty is no longer in effect. but then again its just a filter right
Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by zethtays
friend im just telling you of my experience with wix and chrysler warranty work im sure some mechanics would never open there mouth about but the one that had my truck did and they not only denied me warranty work they turned my vin and truck over to chrysler and voided my 100000 mile warranty at 4200o miles because of the wix filter and my maganaflow exhaust system. I couldnt provide you the line of the warranty information that says if you use wix your warranty is void but I can show you the bill for two injectors and the letter from chrysler stating why my warranty is no longer in effect. but then again its just a filter right

Not funny really, but I like your line... It's just a filter...

That really sucks zeth.... but you know they can't void your warranty right? I mean if the water pump goes or you spin a crank bearing they still have to cover that. They may have a good argument if you have a fuel related failure if the filter wasn't up to specs.... Man that really sucks...

Quick Reply: Wicks fuel filters, How do they compare