3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Whoof Whoof

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoof Whoof

Hey guys,
I have been learning as much as i can from you all but now i have a question that I would like a direct answer too.(If anybody can)
I just got back from Idaho. I left WI on Fri. And got back tonight. I put about 3600mi on the Cummins and it ran well....except when i got to Idaho Falls on Sat eve. She barked at me. Then she did it a couple more times on my way into MT. I got a little nervous so I stopped at a Cummins dealer in Billings and he said that a little is somewhat normal.. He also said don't mod the 610's.
I was planning a Xillaraider for a Christmas gift to myself.
I had finally decided on what box to get and now this throws everything in the air again.

Anyway thanks for listening. (sorry it is so long)
Deck
Old 11-28-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 06 has never done that, and i hope your wrong i have a XZT tow box in transit right now, for my xmas gift, him not knowing what caused it would make me nervous, did you try a dodge dealer.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:28 PM

I'm guessing the elevation was to blame for your "bark" as for mods..........Most dealers will tell you ice from any other vendor will not cool your drink as good as theirs, get it?
I'm not sure the build date of your truck however I will tell you my story. I just bought a new 2006 but made sure that it was built before June '06 as they aren't as responsive to mods after that date. The '07s also are going to be a huge learning curve for more power. So I was real specific with my needs, I was told that "ANY" mods will void my factory warrenty. Working for a dealer I laughed at them, but some people do have issues for a fact.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:43 PM

I know that the grass is always greener on THEIR side of the fence! I guess i will give it a few days and see if it happens again and then i will talk to my dealer. He is pretty responsive to questions. The only reason it bugged me so much is because i was not getting on it at all. I had it in tow/haul becuase i had just come down from Jackson into the flats around I' Falls and I was crossing an intersection and boom Whoof Whoof. If i hadn't read about Bark on here i would have crapped my pants
Old 11-28-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is bark?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Bark grows on trees.

As far as a cummins guy telling you don't mod the 610. The official company line is "NO MODIFICATIONS" this is to do with emissions standards among other things. If a cummins tech tells you its ok to do it, then when you get busted, there is a chance that you are going to say " well, this guy so and so at Cummins said I could do it" and that opens up a whole new can of worms as far as liability and lawsuits and so on.
The world is pathetic to have come to this, but so it goes.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:45 AM

that's funny 'cause the dealer that i bought my '06 from said i could mod anything i wanted and not worry about the warranty EXCEPT for an air intake "because that will lean out your motor ... we had a guy go through 3 sets of injectors ... he was fine with his two computer boxs but that intake burned up injectors like nothing"

they don't have a clue ... but hey if you guys are worried i'll take one of those XZT boxes off your hands for half price
Old 11-29-2006, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya ill just send it to ya haha My dealer here tried to sell me a box, cant remember which one but it had 3 settings on it, he seems to be fine with mod`s, he sure didnt care that i had done my intake thats for sure, im going to check with him before putting the XZT box on first just to make sure, mine was built in Dec 05 and delivered in Jan 06 as an 06, ive only got 19000 on her so far, very happy with truck, not one problem so far and about 9000 was pulling trailer, only 8500 lb trailer, sure pull`s great compared to my old 6.5