3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Who else dis-likes there 6 speed manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSminnow
Uh, no. And even with as much TQ as our trucks have, I just do not see 3.08's being able to haul heavy loads. 3.54 would be great, and (and I have to agree with you here) our OD in 6th is pathetic. It leaves me wishing for a 7 speed. It revs high enough @ 70 MPH with 3.73's thinking you need to shift again, I can only imagine what the 6 speed and 4.10's . The easy fix would be a slightly lower (numerically) OD. I think we have what .78? A drop to say .63 or so, would be perfect.

Also, if you have the AAM 11.5, you have 2 choices, 3.73 or 4.10, that's it. There are currently no other choices for our axle
AFAIK you could only get the 4.10's in an automatic.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrussell
AFAIK you could only get the 4.10's in an automatic.

What in the heck is : AFAIK? And I always thought you could get either gear set with either tranny Did they just change that up or something?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

What in the heck is : AFAIK? And I always thought you could get either gear set with either tranny Did they just change that up or something?
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
Old 09-10-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tree DR
Well after having 8 Dodge diesels all manuals, I'd say the 6sp in the 05 is just not geared right for overdrive. It is just a little higher than a 4:10 which is pathetic for a truck that has this much tourque. I liked the 3:54 and 3:08 would have been fine with me. My wifes Yukon runs down the highway at a lower rpm.
Is there a 3:08 possibility with these axles?
With 35" tires I run 2000 rpm @ 73mph. I am thinking of going to 4.10 from 3.73, as I can't use 6th until 60+ mph while towing my 24ft enclosed car trailer.

If I drove the US interstates the gearing is perfect, as it hits the sweet spot towing at about 80mph.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Don't expect some night and day difference that some of these guys want you to beleive. I changed mine (mine is the NV5600) expecting this world of difference. Sorry, nothing to notice, other than that thing in your head going....ooooohhhhhhhh, I THINK I notice something And then you realize, nope just a figment of my imagination
I'm not making it up and don't have any reason to belive other g56 drivers are either. My transmission shifts were stiff and grabby coming out of gear and going back in. Probably just a normal unbroken in trans but I didn't like it. The thinner Amsoil ATF took all that out and now the shifts just fall into place with no resistance at all. Believe me I am a skeptic on that kind of crap too like when I see 600hp engines getting 21 mpg etc but dude I'm not making stuff up on this that amsoil is good stuff in these g56 and no I don't sell amsoil.

And 3:73's are all you could/can get from the factory in g56 equipped trucks unlike with the nv5600 trucks where both gearing options were available. Our transmissions are geared so low we have effectively the equivalent of a 4:10 equipped automatic truck. And for those inclined to do so you can get a set of aftermarket 3:42 gears to swap into these axles www.ringpinion.biz www.justdifferentials.com
Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Cool ,thanks!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
I'm not making it up and don't have any reason to belive other g56 drivers are either. My transmission shifts were stiff and grabby coming out of gear and going back in. Probably just a normal unbroken in trans but I didn't like it. The thinner Amsoil ATF took all that out and now the shifts just fall into place with no resistance at all. Believe me I am a skeptic on that kind of crap too like when I see 600hp engines getting 21 mpg etc but dude I'm not making stuff up on this that amsoil is good stuff in these g56 and no I don't sell amsoil.

And 3:73's are all you could/can get from the factory in g56 equipped trucks unlike with the nv5600 trucks where both gearing options were available. Our transmissions are geared so low we have effectively the equivalent of a 4:10 equipped automatic truck. And for those inclined to do so you can get a set of aftermarket 3:42 gears to swap into these axles www.ringpinion.biz www.justdifferentials.com

Not saying you are making it up. I am just throwing my own experience out there. I noticed NO difference at all before /after in my 5600
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98xc800
With 35" tires I run 2000 rpm @ 73mph. I am thinking of going to 4.10 from 3.73, as I can't use 6th until 60+ mph while towing my 24ft enclosed car trailer.

If I drove the US interstates the gearing is perfect, as it hits the sweet spot towing at about 80mph.

You need more power I haul my 44' and gross dang near 30K and use 6th gear at 55MPH+. And I have been from the west coast to the east coast (44 states and counting, maybe it's 45 states??? Hmmmmmm, have to get back with ya on that) and I get 7-8MPG at 70MPH+ @ 30K lbs
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

the nv5600 trucks where both gearing options were available.
I KNEW IT!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Banned

And for those inclined to do so you can get a set of aftermarket 3:42 gears to swap into these axles www.ringpinion.biz www.justdifferentials.com

3.42's for the AAM 11.5? How cool is THAT
Old 09-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

Believe me I am a skeptic on that kind of crap too like when I see 600hp engines getting 21 mpg etc

]

Was that you?....21MPG and 600HP If that is you, then maybe I DON'T believe youLMAO!!!!!

If that was not you, then I do

I am now picking myself off the floor. Man, my post count is getting high today
Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

OK, one more I see in your sig you have the gear vendors. How do you like it? You got any pics you can share? Also, the Whistler. I have the Whistler and I went back stock, listen to this:

I did mine, and my reminder pulls 100%. When the air filter was brand new, I reset the reminder, and after about 500 miles, I popped the hood, and bam! 50%. I was like, huh????? So, I reset it again, and drove down the street, got into the throttle prtty good, came back, popped the hood, 50%. Well, after a very short while, it was at 100%. I can reset it, drive down the street, come back, 100%. I am not sure if got a faulty filter, or what. But, I can put the stock stufff in, and it won't do that (unless of course when it is dirty) So, I just have a drop in filter in the stock box now. I do miss my whistle though
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Was that you?....21MPG and 600HP If that is you, then maybe I DON'T believe youLMAO!!!!!

If that was not you, then I do

I am now picking myself off the floor. Man, my post count is getting high today
No, no that wasn't me but I had the exact same reaction as you when I saw it. Some of these guys around here kill me with the mpg claims.

Gear Vendors is great. For interstate driving I don't know how anyone with these g56 trucks could live without it. I run 63mph at 2000rpms in 6th gear. Pop it up into 6th over get on the gas and hit 80mph at 2000 rpm. Now how cool is that? Also I am getting 25 mpg city and 28 mpg highway not really... I just thought I would toss that in there for fun. Really I get 19 mpg on most tankfuls no towing, about 1000 lbs of tools in the truck, and not really driving for economy. One time I did crack 20 mpg driving real easy though.

With regards to the filter minder on *****'s whislter I have seen lots of guys report the same problem. I have even seen guys put an amsoil nano drop in filter in the stock box and report the same thing. I left my filter minder off so I don't know how it would've reacted. I hope all is going well. I do intend to start oil analysis real soon here so we'll be able to see for sure how that nano filter is doing.

Gear Vendors:

Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM

OK, one more I see in your sig you have the gear vendors. How do you like it? You got any pics you can share? Also, the Whistler. I have the Whistler and I went back stock, listen to this:

I did mine, and my reminder pulls 100%. When the air filter was brand new, I reset the reminder, and after about 500 miles, I popped the hood, and bam! 50%. I was like, huh????? So, I reset it again, and drove down the street, got into the throttle prtty good, came back, popped the hood, 50%. Well, after a very short while, it was at 100%. I can reset it, drive down the street, come back, 100%. I am not sure if got a faulty filter, or what. But, I can put the stock stufff in, and it won't do that (unless of course when it is dirty) So, I just have a drop in filter in the stock box now. I do miss my whistle though
my minder never moved, then I made a intake with out so I cant say what it does now...but the intake could still be ran...if the minder gets sucked down it's most likely the filter...try putting a AFE Sage II filter on and see what happens.....the amsoil 6080 filter inlet is the same size as the AFE StageII
Old 09-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

No, no that wasn't me but I had the exact same reaction as you when I saw it. Some of these guys around here kill me with the mpg claims.

Gear Vendors is great. For interstate driving I don't know how anyone with these g56 trucks could live without it. I run 63mph at 2000rpms in 6th gear. Pop it up into 6th over get on the gas and hit 80mph at 2000 rpm. Now how cool is that? Also I am getting 25 mpg city and 28 mpg highway not really... I just thought I would toss that in there for fun. Really I get 19 mpg on most tankfuls no towing, about 1000 lbs of tools in the truck, and not really driving for economy. One time I did crack 20 mpg driving real easy though.

Gear Vendors:

Yeah it can a BIT crazy around here and the MPG claims. That gear vendors looks SEXY

I do have you beat on the MPG......once, when I was coasting downhill in neutral @ 70 MPH and reset my instant MPG overhead, I was getting 99MPG. Yeah, how do ya like that Yeah, I eeked out 20 MPG one time driving lik e Miss Daisy to see if I could do it. It was like 58 MPH I had to drive at to get 20MPG. But I am about the same as you 15-17 @ town (depends on my right foot, how much stop/go, etc...) and 16-18 out on the highway depending on how fast I drive. And to think, I am making 2800 HP and 5500 lbs ft of torque and I STILL get that good of MPG

Quick Reply: Who else dis-likes there 6 speed manual?