3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

wheel hop revisited

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wheel hop revisited

Recently I started a thread about my wheel hop problem in sand or snow. I recieved some really good advice. Here is an update.
The dealer (Larson Dodge,Puyallup WA)replaced the rear end. They were unfamiliar with the problem and freely admitted that they would Poke and hope at the problem. They checked the motor mounts and the rest of the drive line components.
I also aired the tires down from 80psi to 35. It still wheel hops like crazy in 2wd and it wheel hops easily in 4wd when driving in pea gravel (horse arena). I think airing down helped somewhat tho. Also the inside rear hops while turning. It breaks loose on pavement too. I have a limited slip rear differential. Its not slipping at all right now. My book says the limited slip additive is not necessary on this model. does anyone know what the additive does? will it make it slip more? Also the fluid level was quite low after the new dif was installed. I have not yet refilled it. I have no information on the additive. I would appreciate anything you have.
Thanks for your time people.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:48 AM

I know guys has been adding a friction modifier sold by Amsoil to help with the limited slip locking like your example when turning, even though it should not be required. Of course, they were adding that to Amsoil fluid, and more often than not, guys were adding that to the heavier weight, (not the 90, but the 140). I cannot tell you if it would help in your example, and the fluid for those diffs are a required Synthetic GL-5, so it can get expensive to "change" to find out the problem. Maybe give it a shot and see?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM

friction modifiers are for clutch type limited slips, ours are not clutch type.....but im sure your "barking up the wong tree"...im sure your lim slip is working fine...the bucking you are feeling is called axle wrap or wheel hop...it is caused by the rear leaf spings...do some searchs on here and google...a very commen problem over the past 80year of leaf sprung rear suspensions and usually pretty easy to fix (i removed the lift blocks and overload spring which fixed the problem but im sure i cant tow heavy until i put airbags on)
Old 02-25-2008, 08:38 AM

Thanks guys. I guess it's back to the dealer. So far everythings been free.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why don't you fill out your signature with your truck's information...
Old 02-25-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by mikewalling
Thanks guys. I guess it's back to the dealer. So far everythings been free.
The dealer won't be able to change anything to help.You can add traction bars or improved spring packs and shocks.Suspension plus the correct size tire for the application will hook you up.Pun intended.

Bob
Old 02-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Bob, off topic but does anyone make lowering parts/kits for 2WD AAMs?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Hey Bob, off topic but does anyone make lowering parts/kits for 2WD AAMs?
Not that I am aware of,sorry.You might want to ck with this place he is a sponsor over on Dodge Talk

http://slammed1.com/products24.html

Bob
Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 PM

I seen wheel hop come from bad U bearing in the drive shaft, loose leaf springs, bad trans mounts/motor mounts. Simple test on the leaf springs is to clamp them down near where the factory clamps are. After awhile the factory clamps get really lose and let the leaf spings bounce around. I have made clamps out of 1/4 flat steel and grade 8 bolts, works well and its a cheap test.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM

BOB, so you think a better shock would help? these shocks are factory with 15k miles onem. What shock do you recommend?I'm not likely to change tires but ,for curiosity,what were you refering to? A sand tire? A snow tire?
EYECANDY, I have now filled out my signature. just learned how.
MARK, I will try the clamps. That sounds easy and cheap. I imagine that the clamps will clamp the overloads to the others.
Thanks all. This problem is a ***** and you guys have been very helpful.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search on DTR on wheel hop, axle wrap, whatever, LOTS has been written about it. I have had it bad, real bad, enough to push the fan into the radiator, twice. Trust me, fans and radiators make a bad mix. From my understanding, it is a function of traction and torque. The traction of the tires start to bend the leaf springs into a "S" shape, eventually the springs snap back, only to be bent again by the torque of the engine, hence, the dreaded hop. I have seen a loaded dump truck with eight driving wheels hop on our dirt road, going uphill. Not OK. The way to eliminate it is to prevent the springs from distortion, either with a ladder bar or traction bar. I put on ladder bars, but I have had issues with a very stiff rear and rattle After a lot of work, the rattle is under control, but the rear is still stiff. I am working on that part. Another member is using traction bars from Caltrac and reports good results. If I were to do it over, I would look hard at the Caltracs. For offroad, lowering the tire pressure is a help, but it is not the answer for everyday driving on your arena.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:45 AM

Dont clamp the helpers to the rest of the spring pack, when you look at the spring pack you will see where the factory has there little clamps. They should be just outside the helper springs, this is where u clamp it. If you clamp the helper springs to the rest of the pack the ride will be unbearable.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Chrysler now recommends using an additive in the axle per John Holmes from Carson Dodge and DTR magazine. There are no clutch plates, but there is a brake inside the axle.

Pete
Old 02-26-2008, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=mikewalling;1967094]BOB, so you think a better shock would help? these shocks are factory with 15k miles onem. What shock do you recommend?I'm not likely to change tires but ,for curiosity,what were you refering to? A sand tire? A snow tire?
EYECANDY, I have now filled out my signature. just learned how.
MARK, I will try the clamps. That sounds easy and cheap. I imagine that the clamps will clamp the overloads to the others.
Thanks all. This problem is a ***** and you guys have been very helpful.

/QUOTE]

Our rear shocks are set up to fight wheel hop.I have No wheel hop with my set up which includes moderate power

There are cheaper ways but none that are more versatle

Bob
Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM

I noticed bad wheel hop in mine recently. U joint went out on my rear drive shaft and I had to replace it. Could be part of the problem. Axel wrap is the most likely culprit. Shock will help some. Better suspension, better tires. You name it. Traction bar will completely remove wheel hop.

Quick Reply: wheel hop revisited