3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Wheel Bearing (hub) greasable thru ABS fastener hole?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4
OK, so what is killing the bearings? Lack of grease? water? heat? Big tires and wheels with a different offset? I don't know exactly but if some people are getting 200k+ out of stock, untouched bearings then it might not be lack of grease. Remember that the inner and outer bearing is only about 1/4 inch apart, so if you change the wheel offset and tire size much you're going to be quite different from what it was designed to handle. Also the weight of a plow up front with all the turning of plowing is going to be tough on them. These trucks were not designed to be modded out if you want them to go the long miles,,, just my 2cents.
I agree...... It would seem to me that attempting to grease a sealed bearings that is lubed for life is " majoring in minors". My truck has 136,000 and no bearing problems, but truck is stock, no offsets. no 35's, no snow plough's just a plain old stock truck with sealed bearings. The difinition of insanity is doing something that does not work and doing it again.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM

When I replaced my ball joints and u joints I put greese in the abs hole and did notice that the hub began to spin more freely than before. I put the greese in with a needle, I think it will help them last longer, and no abs light when done.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 PM

I the process of installing the Dynatrac kit in I did look inside the factory hubs through the ABS hole. Yep, there is grease in there and there is the tnoe ring. So if you want, when doing a brake job you could re pack the bearings easily at that time by carefully pulling out the ABS sensor and pump un the grease through a needle. I guess a good full syn grease would be the best.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 PM

This worked like a champ. I had a little squeek coming from my driver side bearing on my 3500 4x4. I pulled it apart and followed the directions given on page 3 of this thread and it solved my problem. i have a couple pics I took as I had noticed there were several requests on here for some pics of the process.

Great idea, thanks for everyone contributing to saving my bearings and my money.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Bearing (hub) greasable thru ABS fastener hole?-abs-sensor.jpg   Wheel Bearing (hub) greasable thru ABS fastener hole?-greasing-abs-port.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 10:37 AM

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would give you guys some updated information. Go to Courtsara.com the tip section and you can see pictures of the procedure. I have done this on hundreds of trucks and drastically increased the life of the hub. I have also found that I have to do this every 30 to 40k miles.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:07 AM

Greaser1 is right. When I started greasing those wheel bearing assemblies, I didn't have to replace them anymore. It only takes a few minutes to grease a wheel bearing when your doing a brake job. You can buy a "wheel bearing greaser" on ebay that makes the job easy and it comes with instructions. It is nice to save money and have peace of mind. It irritated me to know that I was driving a truck that was failing for a lack of grease.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is something I need to do.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:25 PM

I wanted to add another thing. SKF has come out with 5 sided hex tamper proof screws holding the abs in. Napa usually sells them. McMaster has a tool, 5043A27, which will remove that bolt. I recommend that you keep the old bolt from the failed hub and use it to replace the tamper proof one.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:17 AM

I just read the tip on courtsara.com. Good info and simple it seems to do. Definitely gonna try this out. Biggest thing is like the article said is getting the abs ring cleaned off.
ez
Old 01-24-2015, 05:22 PM

The wheel bearing greaser that I use from ebay gives you one hand free to rotote the wheel bearing assembly while you grease because it fits in the abs hole and holds itself in place. It also does not pressurize the seals because it lifts out of the hole automatically if it feels pressure.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hope you like filling up your tone wheel with grease that abs sensor dos not go into the bearing hub they are a sealed unit!?!?!?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sealed from the outside... if you look in the hole, you can see the inner sides are essentially "open". Still not sold on this procedure, but I have seen no negatives so far and only people that just keep saying "it's a sealed unit".

My thoughts so far is, probably worth a shot if your there. Some people like to talk about not getting the grease packed, but in my opinion, hot grease will get in there with time. Just like how these thing tend to dry out with time...

These aren't necessarily "sealed" units as more of a non "rebuildable" unit...
Old 01-25-2015, 07:45 PM

Is there any way to maybe Melt some grease into there safely?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Texan1983 hit the nail on the head!! Supposed to be non rebuildable. There is always more than one way to skin a cat!! That's why these forums exist in my opinion, to learn new ideas and ways of doing things.
ez
Old 01-26-2015, 01:25 PM

There's a thread in the 12valve section that shows how to drill into a sealed unit using a left hand threaded bit and insert a grease zert. They were doing this before abs units. Cat skinned.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing (hub) greasable thru ABS fastener hole?