3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What antifreeze for 3rd generations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What antifreeze for 3rd generations?

I am looking to purchase some anti-freeze to top off my cooling system, and I was wandering what anti-freeze everyone is running in their 3rd generations. The owners manual states to use antifreeze conforming to H.O.A.T. requirments. I have found Zerex GO-5 which meets H.O.A.T. requirements, but it is green (pink is what is in the truck) can I still use it? I have also had people tell me they use fleetcharge. Any advice on this will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump. I am wondering the same thing...what is the best stuff to use??
Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 AM

The G-05 should be yellow and yes you can use it, the only difference is the dye. Infact I read that Zerex makes the HOAT stuff for both Ford and Chrysler and just puts different dyes in it.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:30 AM

I use an Dexcool which is a OAT antifreeze. No problems here either.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 AM

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10

This is the G05 CLEAR. looks just like water.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:13 AM

I just bought a gallon from the dealer - I think it cost 7.50 or something like that on sale...
Old 04-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy Double D
The G-05 should be yellow and yes you can use it, the only difference is the dye. Infact I read that Zerex makes the HOAT stuff for both Ford and Chrysler and just puts different dyes in it.
I have heard the same on the Zerex. Has anyone priced the dealership Mopar brand antifreeze, I have not myself and was just wondering what it's priced at . I do have a dealership parts man I deal with at times that will cut me slack, price wise.

Tony
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC Fleetcharge is OK to use in your cooling system or the jug I saw a few days ago stated on it that it was Cummins approved. If the Zerex G-05 is H.O.T.A. coolant then it should be OK to use. My self I would not use Dexcool in any of my Dodge my cooling systems heard way to many horror stories from GMC boys.

It is best to only use the recommended coolant that is H.O.A.T. unless some other type is all you have available in an emergency, as it will not hold up like H.O.A.T. will and should be removed when proper coolant is available. IIRC it is recommended to only use distilled water to top off your system after adding coolant. Some will say BS to distilled water but I’m just telling you what is recommended for use in your cooling system.

My $0.02
Old 04-06-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the information. I picked up a gallon of Zerex G-05 yesterday for around $9.00. I haven't added any of it to my cooling system yet, but by looking at it in the bottle it appears to be yellow, but it may in fact be clear. I also priced a gallon of Mopar brand at the dealership yesterday and it was $18 and some change. No where on the bottle did it specify H.O.A.T. I asked the guy working in parts if that antifreeze was used in Dodge's specfically with the CTD, and his reply was "they use it in all of their vehicles". I don't know if he knows what he is talking about or not, as this would not be the first time I caught a dealership filling me full of B.S. Glad that DTR is here when you need professional advice!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
I use an Dexcool which is a OAT antifreeze. No problems here either.
DC says not to use Dex-Cool. You may not have problems now. But wait.......... Man I would get that flushed with G0-5 ASAP!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prestone quick fill. Same color as the OEM coolant and meets mopar specs.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't touched my antifreeze in my truck since I got it almost 3 years and 63,000 miles ago. Some buddies here in the N. Texas DTR club (almost all 2nd gens) have started doing a drain and refill procedure with their coolant. Like every month for 3 months, drain it and refill it, but not actually "flush" it. Kinda like we do with the transmissions...just drain, change filter, refill. It doesn't get it all out but it gets enough of it out to keep it good and clean. My buddies are using the coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

So my thinking is.....over the next 3 months im going to drain and refill the coolant. Then after that (3 times in 3 months thing) im going to start doing a drain and refill every 20k miles when I do my diffs, transfer case and tranny.

Does anybody see a problem with that line of thinking? Wouldn't that be keeping the coolant system clean and working well virtually forever? Also,I haven't decided yet whether to buy the premixed stuff or go 50/50 with distilled water yet but I guess it doesn't make any difference on that.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by WhoozYaDaddy
DC says not to use Dex-Cool. You may not have problems now. But wait.......... Man I would get that flushed with G0-5 ASAP!
No problems here and don't plan on changing.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by WhoozYaDaddy
THATS WHAT I/H SAYS TOO they have had MAJOR engine failier from the 'safe antifreeze'...they are flushing and putting the 'GOOD OL GREEN' stuff back in

SLEEVED MOTORS ARE NO-LONGER SUPPOSED TO USE NON- glycol ANTI FREEZES...(FREAKIN CAP LOCK) Grrrrrrr
Old 04-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Fleetguard (yes, our filter manufacturer) also has their own line of coolant. Called Fleetguard ES Compleat. I used it on my last coolant change and I have no problems with it. Whats really neat, is that it is dyed blue. Really cool.

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/en/...compleat.shtml

Quick Reply: What antifreeze for 3rd generations?