3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What Additives should I be using???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:48 AM
zog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Additives should I be using???

Being new to diesels (new 2004 CTD with 2,000 miles) I seem to be constantly reading this forum and learning lots and lots....thanks for that!!

I have seen several references to additives for both fuel and engine oil. Being a "gas" guy until now, I was aware that most oil aditives for gas engines are little better than snake oil...fuel additives are similar. This assumes you use a quality fuel and engine oil.

I am using Mobil Delvac 1300 GI4+ and a Mobil 1 oil filter, so I think i have the oil situation covered...

I typically use Phillips 66, Quik Trip or Mobil diesel fuel...all Number 2, of course. Does anyone recommend fuel additives???? If so, why are they necessary.

Thanks again for the advice and help...
Old 03-08-2005, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Diesel fuel additives keep the injector tips clean and also lubricates the pump and injectors for a long and happy life. Howes, Lucas, Stanadyne, Power Service, Redline comes highly recommended. Start running the fuel additive now, and from now on with every fillup.

MikeyB
Old 03-08-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zog - I highly suggest you call 1866bpdirect and find out who your local fuel distributor is. Then call them and find out which stations are regularly taking delivery of Amoco Premier diesel. It's available in your state, and if you are lucky, near you. 50 cetane minimum, real-deal premium diesel fuel. You will notice better engine performance and more mpg.

As for fuel additives, you can do a search, there are many posts on this. Due to the results of my real-world and laboratory testing, I do not believe in demulsifying additives in combination with a water separator, because they simply do not work as advertised. Nice in theory, not realistic in practice. For that reason I use emulsifying/solubizing additives like Redline, Power Service, FPPF, or Primrose. Other additives like Fleetguard's, lucas, etc are also OK IMO because they do not address water whatsoever. For me though, water dispersal is a big reason of why I'm using the additives(lubricity as well), so I choose to run Redline. It always cracks me up to hear some people say they run stanadyne and sometimes powerservice - considering these two additives take the complete opposite approach to water dispersal..
Old 03-08-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zog, fuel additive, definitely YES. Oil additive definitely NO.

My preference for oil is Delo 400, Rotella T or Valvoline Premium Blue. I think the oil you're using is good though. I would recommend the Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter though, it would be hard to top that one, even against the Mobil.

Vaughn
Old 03-10-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the recommendation I received on this forum, I ordered a case of Stanadyne PF. My first application is in the current tank of fuel. I have no idea what is happening internally in the engine, but I can report that after 304 miles, 50% hwy driving, my overhead reads 19.8. Since the reflash, it has been fairly accurate compared to checking fuel economy the old fashioned way. I am sure there are other additives that are good also, but I am happy with my results. My fuel economy which has been improving steadily since new, seems to have gotten a boost from the additive. I will also add that I keep my rpm's under 2000.