3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Well, my 48RE probably shot....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, my 48RE probably shot....

145k on the truck. I have very rarely towed with it, maybe 15 times in the total life. Could have been more dilligent on the trans fluid changes, but change it at 40, 75, 110 and again recenlty.

Here is what has been happening. From a previous thread, I posted that my trans was slipping out of OD at 70 mph 3 months ago. I was experiencing pretty extreme vibrations around this speed as well. My mechanic replaced the drive line U-joints and the problem went away, for a while.

Recently, the trans began slipping again at around 65 MPH, only under mild acceleration, or when I would hit a good bump. But it would only do it once per commute (75 miles) then go a day or two before doing it again. This promted me to get the fluid changed the most recent time. Well this week the problem got much worse. Trans is hunting for gears from 50-75 mph under normal acceleration. If I hammer it, it is fine.

Truck is with a trans guy now who will be tearing it down on Friday (hopefully) to see what it needs. He is figuring a VB rebuild minimum.

My questions, is 145k an expected amount of miles from this trans?

How many mile can I expect out of a rebuild VB? Or should I as him to put in an after market VB from HTS or the like?

Should I replace the TC while it is apart? I know TCs are not cheap but if it is all broken down, I would think the labor would be less.

I know this guy does a lot of work with Jasper trannys, any good?

Thanks,

dan
Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 PM

I had kind of the same problem but alot less miles. If I was you just bite the bullet and get an aftermarket VB at the minimum. If you can take a $3000 hit get tq convertor and new clutches as well. Hd 2nd gear strut and band, accumulator/servo. Then put all the power to it you need. I love my Hts and am glad I got it done.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Did you get your TC from HTS? I am leaning towards Goerend after doing some research. 100k warrenty on the trans, lifetime on the TC. HTS is only a 50k on the trans. That is less than 2 years for me. At least with the 100k it is a little more than 3. But, I am hoping that I won't have to worry about it ever again.

-dan
Old 05-10-2007, 09:39 PM

I plan on getting a Goerend tranny also. Very nice stuff!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by NJDiverDan
Did you get your TC from HTS? I am leaning towards Goerend after doing some research. 100k warrenty on the trans, lifetime on the TC. HTS is only a 50k on the trans. That is less than 2 years for me. At least with the 100k it is a little more than 3. But, I am hoping that I won't have to worry about it ever again.

-dan
THe Tq Convertor does come from them via Suncoast. Goerend also makes a good trany don't know anyone personally that has one but haven't heard many complaints on here about them. I did get a complement on my tranny from a very repretable person and I think they may be leaning toward Hts now. Dtt also makes good stuff my good friend has one in his '03. Doesn't shift as hard as mine but still nice. Good luck either way.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NJDiverDan,

I've talked to several guys who have Goerend transmissions with engines that put out 575+ HP and they tell me a person can't go wrong by getting a transmission from Dave Goerend.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:48 PM

NJDiverDan, At least you got 145 out of yours. Mine went at 53000. I did put in a tripple disk billet T/Q and a valve body. It makes a night and day differance in the way the truck performes. I would suggest it.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:18 AM

Looks like I am in for a full rebuild. The 4th gear clutch is pretty shot, the rest are pretty warn. The TC is also warn and the valve body will get rebuilt.
BUT here is the interesting part. The reason why the TC was kicking on and off was not the ware on the TC. It was that the Altenator was bad. My altenator was sending erratic current to the transmission causing the TC to kick on and off, causing the excessive wear on the Trans. Had the Altentor issue been discovered earlier, I may not have needed any Trans work.

Hopefully I will have my truck back on Wed
Old 05-14-2007, 12:56 PM

A quick question, have the bands ever been adjusted?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 PM

I have had the transmission serviced by my dealer twice, but not sure if they adjusted the bands. My understanding is that the bands only affect gears 1-2??

-dan
Old 05-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Looks like I am in for a full rebuild. The 4th gear clutch is pretty shot, the rest are pretty warn. The TC is also warn and the valve body will get rebuilt.
BUT here is the interesting part. The reason why the TC was kicking on and off was not the ware on the TC. It was that the Altenator was bad. My altenator was sending erratic current to the transmission causing the TC to kick on and off, causing the excessive wear on the Trans. Had the Altentor issue been discovered earlier, I may not have needed any Trans work.

Hopefully I will have my truck back on Wed

Curious, what alternator was in your truck, the 130A or the 160A?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 AM

I have had the transmission serviced by my dealer twice, but not sure if they adjusted the bands. My understanding is that the bands only affect gears 1-2??

-dan
Bands affect 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift. Reverse band is on in reverse (duh) and manual low (shifter in 1st gear position). Only people I have ever heard of that need to mess with the reverse band are plow guys (f-r-f-r-f-r). Second gear or kickdown band is the one actuated by the lever (3.8, 4.2, 5.0) that everyone talks about.

Should you adjust the bands? Manual says so, but I have NEVER heard of it making a difference for anyone, much less saving a hurt tranny. Call HTS - he is the best I've found. I built my own trans, but I will have him do the next one. I have ridden in a "Suncoast tranny" truck, a DTT trans equipped truck, and one of his (HTS), and I like his the best...

The best shifting sled pulling automatics I have ever seen run his trans...
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM

I have the 160 amp Alt in my truck.