3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Warranty issue on 2003 alt. bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warranty issue on 2003 alt. bracket

Had truck at dealership with trany problem when I went to pick it up the teck said that he found a crack in the alt. bracket and it wasn't covered under warranty. Is this a put off or just wants another 100 bucks.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by jpajax
Had truck at dealership with trany problem when I went to pick it up the teck said that he found a crack in the alt. bracket and it wasn't covered under warranty. Is this a put off or just wants another 100 bucks.
Its a known issue, see http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/08-007-03.htm for info. If you are handy with a tool or two, shouldn't take you long.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 PM

Handy with tools but lazy why should I buy the part and put it on if it is covered under warranty.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If the truck is still under warranty, it should be covered.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:35 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
If the truck is still under warranty, it should be covered.
The dealer already told him it wasn't covered. I guess that may be arguable. In either case, I hate tying my truck up for days at the dealer for a 20 min job. I'd do it myself. Maybe his dealer would do it while he waits.

Read your warranty book carefully and bring it with you to the dealer if you want to go that way. Show him where you get it done under warranty.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:14 AM

I guess I was wondering if his truck was still under 3/36, and if so I'd either find another dealer, or call Dodge.

Mine was replaced under warranty, quickly, with no questions asked. As FMB noted, it is a known issue, and the TSB even says that repair is covered by warranty. Even if it's past 3/36 I would think it would be considered a powertrain part.

I know what you mean about maybe it would be easier to pay for the part yourself and replace it yourself, but personally if I paid for a new truck with a warranty and a part like that broke while still under warranty, it would rub me the wrong way to be told to pay to fix it...

Anyway, good luck. When mine broke, it was still pretty secure and I don't know how long I drove around with it like that. Hopefully yours is still driveable until you figure out what you want to do.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:06 PM

Alternator bracket/alternator etc. is not part of powertrain.If its only out of warranty buy a few miles or months service manager can auth.it has a known problem etc.If its high mileage like over a 100k etc.your s.o.l
Old 11-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

Good old DC trying to get out of anything they can. Nothing suprises me now days and how they treat their customers.

There is a TSB issued and a new design replacement for that part. I'm not sure but it may even be a recall part. They obviously knew it was a knowen problem on all 03 and they hopefully installed the updated part. It should of been free and no way $100.

You should atleast go back and give the hell and get the new TSB on the power steering hose, window felts and all the other recall's and TSB done for free.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:08 AM

Now that might not be a D.C. thing but more of WHOM at the DEALER is being asked or talked to.A D.C. field Rep I know(not well) once told me that on known issues(TSB's) with design changes he expected HIS dealers to handle with a smile.This was after my neighbor with a 03 and 90k found his bracket cracked and a service writer(then the service manager)gave him a rash about it.I mentioned this to the REP and he was Po'ed and said DARN he is one of MY deaers and HE knows MY(and D.C.)policy on this issue. Now I will say some of these TSB's are considered OLD news by now and makes me wonder where has this truck been for service and what not the last almost 4 years.The alternator bracket deal was a early truck redesign and not a secret or anything etc.In another words there is a limint(mileage,age etc.)to some issues.I'd suggest dscussing the issue with the service manager and go from there.Mine wasn't even cracked and got a updated bracket with no issues.My truck is out on age(not mileage) and I'm waiting for a new ac line with new orfice to come in.Service manager self approved the line and is also doing a flash update for cam sensor code.He has self approval for UP TO 12/12 over the 3/36 with out asking D.C.a thing.I even offered to pay for the flash update and he said no need,he'd be able to handle it with no issues.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:02 PM
JRG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told by a service mgr that TSB's don't expire. I had a V10 previously and he had checked all past TSB's for me @ 70k+ miles! Call DC.

JRG
Old 11-18-2006, 08:07 PM

Recalls don't expire.Tsb's are only the length of the warranty.Its stated as such in the policy and prochedures manual and on the paper version of the Tsb.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:50 AM

Well here is the latest on the cracked bracket. Called another dealership got the same answer not covered because of mileage. Called DC same answer. Now here is some of the coments and questions I put to DC. 1. I know that I am the second owner but why wasn't this problem found and corrected before it left the dealership the second time. 2. Do you think that you would be liable if this part caused damage to my truck or caused an accident by the fauler of this part. Answer to no.1 from DC the warranty is out because of mileage [ whitch was 44,000 when I bought it] that ran out at 36,000. Answer to no.2 No because you know that this part was bad and you did not repair it. So let this be known to the comsumer don't let them know that you know that they have a problem or is this the master plan that you want complane or are the odds in their favor that the warranty will run out before any damage is done or don't tell about the problem so if an accident accures they want be liable. Rather than just admit that you have a problem and fix it and stop gambling with my truck and my life. After seeing the tsbs on the wheels on my truck I guess that I better take it on my self to look and make sure that it has been taken care of. I think that this web site very informative and should be looked at before you buy a new and especially before you buy a used truck. Again thanks for the site and and all of you that have taken the time to reply to this and other problems that me or others may have.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:20 PM

Well, that's too bad. I guess I'm lucky that mine cracked while under 3/36.

When mine broke, it was cracked clear across the top (photo in gallery) but the alternator was still pretty securely in place, so I doubt it could be considered a safety issue.

I guess if I were in your shoes I'd just go buy the new style bracket and install it myself.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:30 PM

Neighbor had 80k or so and it got covered on his 03.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No cracks in mine yet but if it ever does I can weld and reinforce it quicker than I could go to a dealer to get the new one. Craig