3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration

I dropped my truck off at the ******* on Saturday to have them check fuel pressure (I believe the lift pump is heading south) and check the vibration at 60-68 mph. I just put new Toyo's all the way around because the Michelin tires were cracked to pieces and the tread was getting worn down. They call me today and leave a message that the balance weights are all on the inside of the tire so they were going to re-balance at a charge of $49.00. I had checked the box on the drop-off sheet that instructed them to get approval for any charges before proceeding. I missed the call by ten minutes and have tried repeatedly to reach the service "adviser" all day, no answer. The tires I put on are street tires, and about the same size as stock. The vibration seems more like a u-joint to me and it diminishes above 70 mph if that makes any sense. The truck had the same vibration before I changed the tires, none of the u-joints had any play in them. By the way one of the other "advisers told me Saturday that they only charge $50.00 to enable the high idle feature (wow). I have a canister mounted lift pump and the rest of the truck is stock with 50k miles. One more thing what about the $100.00 deductable?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
borrow a Bully Dog Triple dog, and you can do the high idle yourself.

my dealer did it for free, just to keep me happy.

need to fill out your sig, but the LWB trucks have a Driveshaft TSB.

mine roars 69~70 mph.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 04ctd

need to fill out your sig, but the LWB trucks have a Driveshaft TSB.

mine roars 69~70 mph.

Does anyone have a copy of the TSB ? I would like to see what it states.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 08-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/m.../tsb/tsb.phtml

the TDR done gone cheap on us....they had all the TSB's posted on their site.
now, you have to be a member...

oh well, someone else will know where to find it.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/20139025.cfm

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/.../t-117290.html
Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Vibration

Hi Guys,

My truck a 2006 had vibration and balancing real bad between 64 mph up to 78 mph. I took it to everybody to balance my tires. I even paid Sears for a top of the line balancing job. Still no luck. I was really thinking boy did I buy a problem. Well I read on this site about Innovative Balancing. I checked their website and order the Dyna Beads for my tires. I installed these Beads and I could not believe how smooth my trucks rides now. I am not associate with Innovative Balancing. But they make a great product.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Found the 2004 TSBs....

Driveshaft alignment was the issue. I remember reading about it as soon as I saw the TSB.

Thanks, Jeff
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2004 TSBs.pdf (57.8 KB, 233 views)
Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by RMCBRIDE
Hi Guys,

My truck a 2006 had vibration and balancing real bad between 64 mph up to 78 mph. I took it to everybody to balance my tires. I even paid Sears for a top of the line balancing job. Still no luck. I was really thinking boy did I buy a problem. Well I read on this site about Innovative Balancing. I checked their website and order the Dyna Beads for my tires. I installed these Beads and I could not believe how smooth my trucks rides now. I am not associate with Innovative Balancing. But they make a great product.
I'm with you. The Innovative Balancing beads are great.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 PM

I finally got the adviser to take the truck out for a drive and now he realizes what I am talking about. The tire balance didn't change a thing so they are now taking a harder look(four days later). The tech had told him everything was just fine, now he seems to be a little more inclined to investigate. It is a short bed quad cab no hanger bearing.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 PM

Back2Dodge -

A signature would help us help you. Many of the 3rd gens had a 70 MPH vibe that has been tough to cure. It is believed that it may be in the front drive shaft (if you have a 4x4). Comes on around 68mph and goes away around 73 or so. Only seems to happen to QC SB 4x4's
The best remedy I have come across is to remove the front shaft and have it balanced. Others have replaced the shaft entirely. Still others have lemon lawed their truck. I guess the question is; How much vibration is it and how much are you willing to cope with? Mine isn't too bad, so I just live with it.

Dodge (Corporate) is no help.

Good luck.

Steve
Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 PM

It is a quad cab short bed 4x4, just to clarify. Picked it up this morning, they were unable to correct the problem and have no idea what to do. I am going to pull the front drive shaft next week and see if there is any change. They had the truck for four days and when I got my bill there was no charge, so while disappointed I was relieved that they didn't try to stick it to me.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:56 PM

Yup, the dreaded 70 MPH vibe.

Dealer pushed the caster all the way forward on mine which made a little difference. I'd bet once you remove the front shaft, the vibe will go away. Some think it is a pinion angle thing, others an unbalanced shaft, others a vibe from the engine that excites the drivetrain.
Do a search on "70 MPH vibe" and watch the smoke start coming out of your computer.

My mechanic is going to pull the front shaft and have it balanced this fall. Lets see what that does....

Steve