3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Valve Body removal/install instructions or pics

Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Body removal/install instructions or pics

I am getting a new valve body for my Goerend Tranny due to low pressure 2-3 cutloose....
Can someone give me some instructions to remove and replace.. the one's from the service manual leave alot to be desired.....

Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 08:32 PM

I hope somebody does give some good instructions and pics, because I'm looking for a VB to come from Farmboysdiesel any day, and I'm going to tackle it. Maybe somebody will clue us in.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:59 PM

This would take a bunch of typing. I will give you a link to BD they have some decent instructions.

No real specialty tools needed. but your 2 problem areas will be the E-clip for the park rod (drivers side where the linkage goes into the top of the case)
There is a 'hockey stick' tool that makes R/R of this clip easy. Otherwise just hold you head right and stick your tongue out and be patient.

Next is the accumulator and spring. passenger side. If you bend a 1/2" wide thin piece of aluminum into a long shaped U, this slips over the top edge of the case and under the bottom edge it will hold your accumulator spring in place. otherwise, just balance it on the new VB when you raise it into place.

Those are specialty tools. For someone that does this every day. many are swapped without ever needing or thinking of these tricks.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1606
look right below the PRICE and you will see a link to the Install Sheet.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Removing the vb is not that difficult, especially if you have a buddy to help you hold it. You need to remove the pan and filter, to let all of the fluid drain out. then you then to disconnect the wires going to the valve body, the wires are on the drivers side, where your shift linkage comes in there is an E-clip there that needs to be removed so the rooster comb will drop down, then remove 8 or 9 bolts cant remember how many for sure, get your buddy to hold the vb while you take the E-clip off the park rod. Now the vb should slide out pretty easily.

The pan has a reuseable gasket so no sealant is needed. There are also 3 differant lenths of bolts that hold the vb in so be sure that you keep a preety good ideal of where they go. Putting it in is pretty easy. The Hardest time I had was reconnecting the park rod. You will need about 6-9 qts. of fluid to refill. If you pay attention to how it comes apart you should have no problem putting it together. Hope that this will help you out any.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:02 PM

Thanks guys..... we'lll be putting it in hopefully tomorrow.