3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Offical Fan Clutch Removal Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offical Fan Clutch Removal Instructions

If anyone ever has to remove and replace their fan clutch >> Here is what I had to do and it is really a simple process >> I would hate you see you give the dealership or a shop $500 plus to do something that will take you 30 minutes to do yourself.

What you are going to need to a long 36mm wrench or what I did was take a 1 3/8" and use a bench grinder to make it the size I needed. (if you got it - use it)

You will also need a 10mm 13mm socket or wrench and a long skinny pry bar with squared off sides.

Start by removing the 13mm bolts on the shroud (2 top and 2 bottom)

Remove the 10mm bolt holding the wiring harness and disconnect the connector.

Slide the pry bar in between 2 bolt heads on the fan and use your 36mm wrench to break the fan clutch loose... ( I know that 04 -10 loosen counter clock wise. or to the left if you are facing the motor)

The clutch is going to be very tight so you are going to have to put some serious pressure on the wrench to break it loose... I found that making it so that the pry bar and the wrench were about 12" apart at the end and then pulling them together like a pair of bolt cutters worked really well.

After it breaks loose you just turn the fan and it will unscrew itself and come off...

At this point it is good to have a helper >> One on bottom making sure it slide up without grabbing anything and one on top pulling up.

You are going to pull the shroud and fan out at the same time and you will get enough room to pull the fan out without taking the shroud all the way off...

Swap fan to the new clutch and replace the same way you pulled it out and you are good to go...

I think the proper torque setting is 85 but I just righted it till it felt right - But that was just the shade tree mech coming out in me.

I couldn't find any good information out here on the net so I figured I would put it there for others to reference when they need it!

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice write up thanks!!