3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Turbo chirping when truck shifts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo chirping when truck shifts.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. Unloaded or loaded when I am going up an incline and the tranny shifts the turbo sounds as though it is gasping for air. Hard to explain but it kinda makes a chugging and chirping sound at the same time for a second or two then it goes away like it is starving for air . I also noticed that when I really get on it to pass someone it will let out some decent smoke. The only mod I have is the K and N intake and filter off my 03 with stock exhaust no chip. could I have to much air flow coming in and not enough flow leaveing? I never had this problem on my 03 with the edge ez and donaldson muffler. The sound almost reminds me when I ran it for a day without the muffler when I put the new on some people said it was turbo lag when you would nail it then let off and it would chugg alittle.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:10 PM

your not hearing a turbo bark are ya???
Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 PM

It could be a turbo bark but from what I here thats not a good thing If I remember right that is when the exhaust side and the air side have to much of a difference in pressure so the fins are catching the air and putting stress on the turbo. Anyway it's something like that but my concern is why is this happening could it be from the intake or a leak somewhere.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by HorseHauler
your not hearing a turbo bark are ya???
Turbo barks good, bad, or really bad.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:52 PM

I don't know if it's bad but it just doesn't feel or sound right and am wondering if anyone has an idea as to why it would do this. I've ridden in a friends 01 PS ford with a heavy load on it going up a decent incline from a stand still and his makes the same sound it just sounds like the turbo is starving for air.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is definitely turbo bark. My truck does the same thing, particularly when under load and going uphill. It happens when the torque converter locks up around 50-60mph, not in any other gears on my truck. I also kinda wondered what the noise was until I barked my turbo for the first time with my hot juice! I had to let off a little too fast after being way into the throttle, and the turbo made the exact same noise. I figure it's a similar situation, under a lot of load uphill etc, and the TC locks and the rpms drop fast..
Old 09-07-2005, 11:09 AM

try removing the silencer ring from the turbocharger inlet [the steel flange with the snapring holding it in place] and see if that helps to remove the barking. mine barked quite a few times when i had the ring in, and has only done it 2-3 times since i removed it [and i drive it harder now than when i had the ring in]
Old 09-08-2005, 12:38 PM

It is the Silencer Ring. Took mine out and it has never done it again......Someone said it was blowback into the turbo from the sudden drop of RPM's under hard throttle causing the turbo blades to vibrate....
Old 09-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Dosnt sound like it would be too good on the shaft bearings.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:57 PM

one off topic thing does it sound cool
Old 09-08-2005, 04:45 PM

It sounds terrible, and I'm sure it's not a good thing.. To avoid it when I have any load I leave it on tow/haul until I"ve hit 60+mph, and the rpms are up enough so that it's not lugging at all. Once I hit those speeds, when the tc locks it does not make any noises. DTT can you hear me calling?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:56 PM

mine does it without the silencer ring. friend of mine has blown 2 HX35s with the edge so i think a bigger turbo is in order for the future.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:35 AM

I have the silencer ring out and still have the same problem and lightman your right it does sound terrible I had a truckload of guys with me and it did it going up a hill they all just looked at me with that what the *ell was that look. The bad part is I can never get it to do it for the dealer of course! I can't remember is the turbo covered under the cummins warrenty or the DC warrenty?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:44 AM

I can't remember is the turbo covered under the cummins warrenty or the DC warrenty?
simple, no part of the truck or engine is covered by anyone other than DC... cummins sells the engines to DC with no warrenty
Old 09-09-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ciscohusker
I have the silencer ring out and still have the same problem and lightman your right it does sound terrible I had a truckload of guys with me and it did it going up a hill they all just looked at me with that what the *ell was that look. The bad part is I can never get it to do it for the dealer of course! I can't remember is the turbo covered under the cummins warrenty or the DC warrenty?
I think it's safe to say you can pretty much tell when it's going to happen. Tow haul mode is the answer...

Taking the silencer ring out for me is not even an option. The stock turbo is too loud/high pitched as it is and hurts my ears on long highway drives...the last thing I want to do is make it noisier.

Quick Reply: Turbo chirping when truck shifts.