3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck won't run w/ "no bus" code

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't run w/ "no bus" code

I was cleaning my truck yesterday and when I was finished and driving away from the shop, I got about 50 feet and the gauges all dropped dead as well as the engine. The "no bus" code shows up in my odometer now too. I know there have been other posts about this but no one seems to pinpoint what the problem was in the end.

What it does now is this....
I can turn on the ignition and start it if I do this fast enough, and the truck will run for about 2 seconds with the gauges working before dying on me again with no gauges working and the no bus flashing again. I can also start in neutral and throw it into gear as i'm starting and drive about 10 feet once it its running aswell. I didn't notice any other codes on the overhead either. Most of the warning lights are on aswell as the "service 4wd" is lit up which makes me suspiciuos. When I was cleaning I was cleaning the dash and flicked around the 4wd switch to clean all around it. I didn't realize it when I started the truck up I think it was in 4LO. Also there are no lights on the 4wd indicator that light up now.

Could I focus my search towards the tranny/transfer case? Or is there nothing that could cause this error and it just happens to be some fluke event? Any help would be appreciated. Hope my truck doesn't sit in the shop too long.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine had a similar problem, the truck would stall intermittantly, gauges went dead, all the indicator lights went on and I got no bus as well. Replaced just about everything at the dealer with no luck! It turned out to be the wire harness from the firewall area to the transmission. There is a data bus wire in the harness that communicates with all the computer modules in the truck. The wire had shorted against a factory ground strap off the trans. All it took to fik was some heat shrink tubing and moving the ground strap so it didn't rub through again.