3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck will crank, won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck will crank, won't start.

2003 dodge 2500
Took out fuel filter, drained bowl, put new filter in. Truck wont start. Opened fuel filter again and no fuel. Filter bowl will not fill up with fuel.

Help.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Please confirm that now that you have changed the filter that the engine will not turn over, but there was no problem before you changed the filter.
With the key in the RUN position, (not START), can you hear the pump running?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 PM

Yes filter is changed and truck will crank but not start. No fuel getting to the filter. Where should the fuel pump sound be heard. Am a good mech just not much on diesel thanks.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

You should be able to hear a faint sort of humming sound when the key is in the RUN position. With the hood up and standing close to the fuel filter it will be very obvious.
After changing the filter, did you turn the key on, leave it for maybe 20 seconds, turn it, and repeat twice?
With the key in the RUN position try opening the drain valve and see if any fuel comes out. If the pump is working correctly. it should come out under pressure.

Does the engine turn over as fast as usual when you try to start it or does nothing happen when you turn the key to start.

It would also help if you filled in the specs of your truck. i.e. is it an auto or a standard shift?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you still have the OEM fuel filter canister mounted lift pump. These pumps are prone to fail. One symptom is the pump will not hum when the ignition key is turned to the on position. They typically hum or operate for 20 second or so. If you perform the key code trick, see what you get. Turn the ignition key to on,off,on,off ,on ..then watch the odometer readout for the set codes. A bad lift pump typically shows P0628 code.

Another symptom is the truck will act as if it is out of fuel and cut out. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, it will tend to read zero at times.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM

First post says truck will crank but wont start. And no after changing filter I just tried to start as I have done every other time I replaced the fuel filter. Only difference this time is that I drained the housing of fuel in case there was water or trash in it. She is a stock automatic with 228,000 miles and ran great home from work with a full fuel tank. Yes there is now fuel coming out the hose with the lever on the fuel filter open and key on. Checked code and have 0628, 0514, 0234.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 PM

The codes are;

P0628 - Fuel Pump Relay Circuit Low, or Fuel Lift Pump Control Circuit Low

P0514 Battery Temperature Sensor Performance / Rationality

P0234 Turbocharger Overboost Condition

The fuel pumps on the '03-'04s are on the fuel filter canister. Later years are in the tank.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by SaylorCE
First post says truck will crank but wont start. And no after changing filter I just tried to start as I have done every other time I replaced the fuel filter. Only difference this time is that I drained the housing of fuel in case there was water or trash in it. She is a stock automatic with 228,000 miles and ran great home from work with a full fuel tank. Yes there is now fuel coming out the hose with the lever on the fuel filter open and key on. Checked code and have 0628, 0514, 0234.
Sounds like the canister mounted lift pump is toast. It likely ran great for you from work because the CP3 pulled enough fuel to keep it running. You have been very lucky to get that mileage on a stock lift pump.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM

It sounds like an opportune time to throw away the stock lift pump and go for something much better.
Also consider installing a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM

The Raptor fuel pump is a nice upgrade from the unreliable OEM lift pump. Contact Lary at the DTR store. The Raptor is very easy to install. I have attached a link for review. And I agree with Stan. A fuel pressure gauge would be beneficial.

http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/raptor100.html
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Thanks all for the response. What is the opinion on the transfer kit FPD4089602 from Geno's Garage.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:05 PM

Sorry, no clue about that mod.
As you can see from my sig, I use the cheaper Airdog and have been very happy with it.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 PM

That is a replacement canister mounted lift pump. Should not take any longer than 30 minutes to replace. Keep in mind that it could fail at any time.

So I take it the fuel pressure gauge is not going to happen?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 PM

No did not say that just trying be as practical as possible. This is a work truck for my business I bought new and don't want to get caught up in the mine is bigger/better. Just want quality and reliability at a cost effective price. I have a full set of engine guages I am installing also. But need to get the truck on the road ASAP. Can't make money sitting Idle. If I can get another 200,00 out of the pump I will have done good. Yes?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 PM

If you can get that far on it then you did well. However, the Raptor lift pump recommendation that I suggested has nothing to do with bigger or better. It is based upon the data on the DTR that the OEM pump has proven to be un reliable. I upgraded my stock lift pump to the Raptor because I too wanted a quality product that offered reliability at a reasonable cost. The warranty offered on the Raptor, which the other pump lacks made my decision easy.

Quick Reply: Truck will crank, won't start.