3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck Pulling right, has anyone solved the issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My truck is a 2wd. Yes, air pressure difference will also cause a pull. It is natural to have a slight pull to the right due to the crown on the road. If you try to adjust it out you normally get an ill handling vehicle from my experience. If I ever have an alignment guy saying he adjusted for the crown in the road I know he has no clue. This happened to me once. Drove the car on a 2 hr trip and it was terrible. When I got where I was going I had the alignment done again by a competent tech.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've found a big issue to be the rear axle alignment. If you take some measurements from the rear axle tube, to the front control arm bolt(at frame), I've found a few trucks with the rear wheelbase about 3/16" off. Mine included...

The rear axle does play a HUGE part in steering pulls quite often..

Think how sensitive your steering is driving fast in reverse..

You can loosen leaf/axle bolts and pull one side back, and then loosen the other side and pull forward... Usually enough slop in the bolt holes to even out the difference..
Old 06-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by THURENfab.
I've found a big issue to be the rear axle alignment. If you take some measurements from the rear axle tube, to the front control arm bolt(at frame), I've found a few trucks with the rear wheelbase about 3/16" off. Mine included...

The rear axle does play a HUGE part in steering pulls quite often..

Think how sensitive your steering is driving fast in reverse..

You can loosen leaf/axle bolts and pull one side back, and then loosen the other side and pull forward... Usually enough slop in the bolt holes to even out the difference..
Het Thueren, what about making the Caster measurements at least equal to one another. Is that recommended or should i just make sure a 4 wheel alignment is preformed?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by tauberson
Het Thueren, what about making the Caster measurements at least equal to one another. Is that recommended or should i just make sure a 4 wheel alignment is preformed?
No don't worry about it... It's a solid axle truck, don't stress on it..

edit: ... .2 of a degree is probably just variance when they welded up the axle tubes..
Old 06-21-2007, 12:25 PM

No don't worry about it... It's a solid axle truck, don't stress on it..

edit: ... .2 of a degree is probably just variance when they welded up the axle tubes..
Well i gues im taking the truck to the dealer to try an figure out what is causing my tire cupping as it is still progressing after last alignment and balance.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM

Well i gues im taking the truck to the dealer to try an figure out what is causing my tire cupping as it is still progressing after last alignment and balance.
Probably too much toe in... I like em' at zero toe...

What front tire pressure are you running?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 PM

Probably too much toe in... I like em' at zero toe...

What front tire pressure are you running?
fronts at 60psi and rear at 48 psi.
cuping is on inside of both front tires

Toe is
left
.09 was .14
right
.08 was .03

alignment was 1 month ago.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:02 PM

I thought about the crown in the road but when im in the left lane and it slopes left it still pulls to the right. I will check the rear axle alignment this w/e.

Thanks for the responses...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cross Rotate

Cross rotate your tires and the pull will go away......did on mine!

Dealer did it and rebalanced.......fine now.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM

fronts at 60psi and rear at 48 psi.
cuping is on inside of both front tires

Toe is
left
.09 was .14
right
.08 was .03

alignment was 1 month ago.
Oh the inside is cuping? Huh...

Sounds toe'd out...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hairy1
Cross rotate your tires and the pull will go away......did on mine!

Dealer did it and rebalanced.......fine now.
Did that too...still the same. Lowered pressure on the left tire 5 lbs. helped a little.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My trucks alignment spec sheet showed that the Caster was
Left 4.7 and Right 4.5. This is the same as the last two alignments that i have had and match the origianl factory setting. Does this mean that my axle is not square to the frame ? Should I have the shop adjust both to same measurement ?
Yep, like Don mentioned, that is normal variance from manufacturing. It's too bad that it wasn't the other way around to help compensate for road crown, as it will pull to the side with the least amount of positive caster.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
My truck is a 2wd. Yes, air pressure difference will also cause a pull. It is natural to have a slight pull to the right due to the crown on the road. If you try to adjust it out you normally get an ill handling vehicle from my experience. If I ever have an alignment guy saying he adjusted for the crown in the road I know he has no clue. This happened to me once. Drove the car on a 2 hr trip and it was terrible. When I got where I was going I had the alignment done again by a competent tech.
Not true. The proper way to align a vehicle is to offset the camber or caster slightly to compensate for road crown. If I had a vehicle that pulled to the right all the time, i would consider that an ill handling vehicle. It is quite possible to align a vehicle to handle perfectly, and also not suffer from a pull on most crowned roads. I have no doubt your alignment guy screwed something up, but it has nothing to do with adjusting for road crown. I am speaking as a licensed technician who learned from some of the best.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you set it up for the factory spec. no need to adjust. It should already be done. As I said no thanks for the adjusting for the crown. Before all the state troopers got so bad I would drive 100 MPH everywhere I went on the back roads. Now it is not possible. More people and cops and a little wiser I guess. So I was driving somewhat faster than the average person you could say. Today, I do the speed limit. Recon I am a gelding now.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:22 PM

I just swapped my front tires around and it's cured. I think I'm going to follow Don's advice and try to align the rear axle. I just rotated them and you'd figure the back ones wouldn't cause it to pull to the right. Mine must be off.

Quick Reply: Truck Pulling right, has anyone solved the issue?