3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck Pulling right, has anyone solved the issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Pulling right, has anyone solved the issue?

Moved the caster cam bolt as much as i could to make it pull to the left....seemed to help but did not solve the issue. Ball joints seem good. Has anyone actually had the issue fixed?? Offset balljoints?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Mine started doing that when I rotated the tires after 3000 miles on them. This would be interesting to find out why.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:33 PM

When I had a 2" level kit and 295 toyos installed on my truck it pulled to the right. Had to have offset ball joints installed to fix the problem.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:15 PM

before you make a bunch of adjustments to make it roll straight get it out on a perfectly level parking lot and see if it still pulls to the right.. or drive down the left side (yea wrong way) and see if it pulls left..

Most if not all streets have a crown on them and slope away from the center of the street, we drive on the right so the truck naturally pulls to the right.

Mine pulls to the right on the street but on the freeway it pulls to the left because the freeway drain is in the middle so the freeway slopes to the left.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:41 PM

mine seems to track straight right after I rotate the tires. it seems the longer I go between rotations, the more pronounced the pull becomes.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but the factory sets up every vehicle to pull to the right so that if the operator falls asleep at the wheel then the car will coast of the highway towards the ditch or field depending on where you are located instead of into on coming traffic causing a serious accident. I noticed after I installed my 35's that my truck pulled more to the right than before and the only thing I can come up with is that with a bigger tire you have more weight and with more weight you have more pull but maybe I have no clue on this subject
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same problem after a rotation. Turned out to be a tire pull. Don't do any adjustments to alter from factory settings. Swap the front tires left to right and see if the pull follows. Mine did follow after this. Darn Goodyear tires. I just had my Goodyear SR-A tires warrantied out due to cracking one inch from the bead. Got a set of Goodyear Silent armers on now. Only cost me $650 dollars for 6 new tires. Can't complain.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mgstroker95
Correct me if I am wrong but the factory sets up every vehicle to pull to the right so that if the operator falls asleep at the wheel then the car will coast of the highway towards the ditch or field depending on where you are located instead of into on coming traffic causing a serious accident. I noticed after I installed my 35's that my truck pulled more to the right than before and the only thing I can come up with is that with a bigger tire you have more weight and with more weight you have more pull but maybe I have no clue on this subject
Mine runs straight as a string (with no hands) for a really long distance, even after alignment (I had some tire cupping/ramping on the fronts). So, I doubt they set 'em up to pull to the right intentionally.
It seems to me the guys having the pulling problems all have lifts, and/or oversize tires. I think 4x4's will have a little more "pulling" tendencies as well.
Just my .02
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 PM

MY 03 and my brother's 03 both pulled right without lifts or bigger tires. Yes, they do set them to slowly pull right, but not that much. It is a problem with some of the trucks. My 05 steers straight, as does his 06. My son's 03 really started pulling so he took it in, and he had to replace the left ball joints, which is a problem with the trucks as well.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine pulled to the rt with 285's and now its pulling with 315's... i have had 4 or 6 alignments
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
I had the same problem after a rotation. Turned out to be a tire pull. Don't do any adjustments to alter from factory settings. Swap the front tires left to right and see if the pull follows. Mine did follow after this. Darn Goodyear tires. I just had my Goodyear SR-A tires warrantied out due to cracking one inch from the bead. Got a set of Goodyear Silent armers on now. Only cost me $650 dollars for 6 new tires. Can't complain.
Good advice here. Is this truck a 4WD? If so, you CAN'T adjust caster on one side relative to the other. You can't actually twist the solid axle, and all you'll succeed in doing is causing the front axle to be out-of-square with the frame. The two most common causes of a steering pull on our trucks is: 1) as was mentioned, a tire pull. Try cross switching the front tires.

2) the rear axle is not square to the frame of the vehicle. There is a thrust angle causing the vehicle to not go straight. This condition, while sometimes visible by comparing wheelbase from one side to the other (using a tape measure) is most easily measured with an alignment machine. It can be corrected by loosening the rear axle's U-bolts and centering the axle housing.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
2) the rear axle is not square to the frame of the vehicle. There is a thrust angle causing the vehicle to not go straight. This condition, while sometimes visible by comparing wheelbase from one side to the other (using a tape measure) is most easily measured with an alignment machine. It can be corrected by loosening the rear axle's U-bolts and centering the axle housing.
I installed a Kore Recon suspension, and haven't had it re-aligned yet. Lifting the front 3" without replacing the track bar with a longer unit resulted in my front axle being located off center towards the driver side due to the arc of the track bar mount point. My truck now pulls slightly to the right. Before I start chasing down other causes I'm installing a Thuren adjustable bar to re-center the front axle and then I'm getting it aligned. Hopefully it will cure my right pulling issue.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:49 AM

I rotate my tires every 5K and it is slowly getting worse....I noticed it about 30K and now it has 60K....I did notice the inside of the drivers side front tire is wore a little more than the outside.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 AM

Mine tracked straight with the stock tires and still tracks straight with the KORE Leveling and 35" tires. Recently I noticed a slight pull to the right, checked the tire pressure on the right front and it was lower by just a few pounds. Aired it up, back to tracking straight. When I get on roads with a visually noticable crown to the right for drainage, it also pulls a little right, but it's the road not the truck. Same applies to a left crowned road. The crown in the road does wear down your tires, rotations are extremely important in managing the wear down and keeping you traveling straight.

CD
Old 06-21-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
Good advice here. Is this truck a 4WD? If so, you CAN'T adjust caster on one side relative to the other. You can't actually twist the solid axle, and all you'll succeed in doing is causing the front axle to be out-of-square with the frame. The two most common causes of a steering pull on our trucks is: 1) as was mentioned, a tire pull. Try cross switching the front tires.

My trucks alignment spec sheet showed that the Caster was
Left 4.7 and Right 4.5. This is the same as the last two alignments that i have had and match the origianl factory setting. Does this mean that my axle is not square to the frame ? Should I have the shop adjust both to same measurement ?

Quick Reply: Truck Pulling right, has anyone solved the issue?