3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck not starting

I installed gauges on my truck yesterday and when I was finished I hooked the batteries back up and went to start my truck and nothing happened. When I turn the key everything comes on like normal but when I turn to start, nothing not even a click. Does anyone have an idea of what it might be?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:42 PM

Blow a fuse, or something like that?
Old 11-29-2008, 03:28 PM

I checked all the fuses and relays and they are good. I had talked to a few people earlier and they all said it could be the ignition switch so I ordered one and I am gonna try and replace it tomorrow when it gets in. Hopefully that fixes the problem.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Could be a starter or something?//?

If I lived closer, I'd come help ya

Let us know what you find out!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:49 PM

I hope it isnt the starter, thats more than I want to spend right now. I appreciate the help.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:28 PM

did you splice into the wire supplying the ignition?? if so you might of cut it

hope you get it back running
Old 11-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Relay wiring

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - STARTER RELAY
The starter relay (TYPE 1 RELAY) is located in Power Distribution Center (PDC). Refer to PDC cover for relay identification and location. For complete starter relay wiring circuit diagrams, refer to 8, Wiring Diagrams.

Remove starter relay from PDC.
A relay in de-energized position should have continuity between terminals 87A and 30, and no continuity between terminals 87 and 30. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, replace faulty relay.
Resistance between terminals 85 and 86 (electromagnet) should be 75 ± 5 ohms. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, replace faulty relay.
Connect 12V battery to terminals 85 and 86. There should now be continuity between terminals 30 and 87, and no continuity between terminals 87A and 30. If OK, perform Relay Circuit Test that follows. If not OK, replace faulty relay.
RELAY CIRCUIT TEST
The relay common feed terminal cavity (30) is connected to battery voltage and should be hot at all times. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair open circuit to fuse in PDC as required.
The relay normally closed terminal (87A) is connected to terminal 30 in the de-energized position, but is not used for this application. Go to Step 3.
The relay normally open terminal (87) is connected to common feed terminal (30) in the energized position. This terminal supplies battery voltage to starter solenoid field coils. There should be continuity between cavity for relay terminal 87 and starter solenoid terminal at all times. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair open circuit to starter solenoid as required.
The coil battery terminal (86) is connected to electromagnet in relay. It is energized when ignition switch is held in Start position. On vehicles with manual transmission, clutch pedal must be fully depressed for this test. Check for battery voltage at cavity for relay terminal 86 with ignition switch in Start position, and no voltage when ignition switch is released to On position. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK with automatic transmission, check for open or short circuit to ignition switch and repair, if required. If circuit to ignition switch is OK, refer to Ignition Switch and Key Lock Cylinder . If not OK with a manual transmission, check circuit between relay and clutch pedal position switch for open or a short. If circuit is OK, refer to Clutch Pedal Position Switch in 6 , Clutch.
The coil ground terminal (85) is connected to the electromagnet in the relay. On vehicles with manual transmission, it is grounded at all times. On vehicles with automatic transmission, it is grounded through park/neutral position switch only when gearshift selector lever is in Park or Neutral positions. Check for continuity to ground at cavity for relay terminal 85. If not OK with manual transmission, repair circuit to ground as required. If not OK with automatic transmission, check for pen or short circuit to park/neutral position switch and repair, if required. If circuit to park/neutral position switch is OK, refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch in 21, Transmission.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:50 PM

Sorry I havent been on much this week but I got it fixed last sunday. The ignition switch went out.