3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard starting is now no starting....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard starting is now no starting....HELP

A buddy of mine in the Netherlands is having serious issues with his truck and being that he is in Europe....no Dodge technicians around the corner. He has the TST and Diablo Predator downloader. He can measure his rail pressure and at start he only has 1000 to 1200psi. At WOT he has 22000 so his CP3 seems to have the ability to go. What should his rail pressure be at start? For a while it would only start if the truck was plugged in....then it would only start with Ether and now it just won't start. I thought it might be the FCA sticking when the rpms were low...like starting. His local MB tech thinks he has two cracked injectors although there is no build up of fuel in the crankcase. If his rail relief valve was shot would that be a problem and who here has put a slug in the valve to block it off? Any help will be good at this point in time. KS
Old 03-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Banned

kerry, i have a dumb question for someone of your experience. would only start plugged in, then only with ether? grid and fuel heater firing? is it still cold in the nethers? sorry for the dummy ? but gotta start somewhere.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 PM

Sterling started a thread on his own called "rail pressure at start up" and is slowly getting help there. He has a TST rail pressure gauge and is installing a Walbro kit soon. The grid heaters are working. His rail pressure is low at start up so it is either lack of low pressure fuel or a poor FCA or CP3. ks
Old 03-15-2007, 11:55 PM

I've been trying to help sterling,& longbed for a few days now.Sterlings last post said he was going to take it to a truck dealer that runs Cummins C/R engines in thier trucks.They should be able to help him out,but they'll be in the same boat I'm in.I work on the CUMMINS C/R engines.Dodge changed some things,& even I'm not able to get that info through Cummins.(Confidential Information!) 3 weeks of training @Cummins, my own truck won't comunicate with my software! I do have all the mechanical troubleshooting guides thoe.Return flow's etc.& how to do the tests.I also have the electronic troubleshooting guides,thoe they may differ some from Dodges #'s.They should be verry similar.I'll pass along anything I can to anyone who asks.