3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck is gelled sitting at work in lot, help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck was outside and plugged in last night. The temperature was -9 this morning when I fired it up. It fired right up initially and I thought all was good. I went back inside to wait for it to warm up. After 5 minutes I glanced out the window and saw no exhaust coming out the pipe. It had quit running. I went out and tried to fire it up again. It would only run for a few seconds and then die. I tried several heating grid cycles all to no avail. I suspect the fuel has gelled. I have never used additive but am going to get some today. I have had this truck since new and have never had this problem. Last night was the coldest it has been since I bought this truck. Hopefully it will warm up enough by noon today to get it fired up and dump some additive in the tank. If not I will fire up the torpedo heater after work this evening and see if that does the trick. I wonder if this could be attributed to the ultra low sulphur diesel fuel? The station where I buy my fuel just switched to it a couple of months ago. Up until then the signs on the pumps said not for use in 2007 and later engines. I recall a bunch of people reporting the non-start issues after the switch to ultra low sulphur diesel. I do keep my tank topped off to avoid the gelling issue.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I hear ya.... ME TOO!!!!! LOL.... Talked with Lloyd M. the other day and he was teasing me about snow....you know the white stuff that falls out of the sky and sticks to everything..... Told him I ain't never seen the stuff......
Me too, it hit 50 here this morning in Central Fl., and I'm ready to head for the islands.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Where are you in IL? I might be able to help. I've got an inverter that will support a blow dryer for the fuel lines.

I was on my way home last night, on I90, and my truck started to loose power. I couldn't keep it above 50 after a few minutes.

I was able to keep it running and limp to a fuel station that had PS, and that cleared it up after about 5 or 10 more minutes. The temp was -18F at that time. It had been sitting in the lot at O'Hare all day / night. It was -8F when I fired it up, and it did not want to crank well. It also did all kinds of funny things for a minute or so after it fired. I've never had a problem, but it normally isn't that cold and it is normally plugged in.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It is hard to imagine that there is not appropriately climatized fuel available in IL in the middle of January??? -20 is cold but it isn't that cold so as to cause fuel problems if the right fuel is being used in the first place. I don't understand...
Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM

I think there is a fuel supplier issue showing up here. I'm in Northern IL, and have been hearing about the diesel truck problems all day, from friends. Anywhere from what mine did to no starting at all. I think the fuel isn't treated right. I used to run anti-gel, but kept hearing everyone tell me we don't need it here. Now I know for sure they're wrong. I'll never trust the fuel supplier again. I'll also say that since they obviously aren't using enough anti-gel, I'm not going to trust them to use enough lube additive either. I'll stick with my 2stroke addative, and suppliment that with anti-gel during the winter.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Been cold here the last couple of days, too. -23F this morning. Plugged in 4 hours at night, synthetic Rotella, and Stanadyne additive (always). No problems.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Find some Howe's and treat your fuel before it gets cold. We never ever fill a fuel filter with "911". The diesel engines will not run on that stuff straight. With over 400 pieces of diesel equipment we run 60-40 highway fuel and straight #1 in all the off road stuff. Howe's really does the trick to keep fuel from gelling. JM .02 in Wyoming.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:42 PM

I used a couple of cans of Sterno on my 18 wheeler one time when it was so cold it wouldn't start. Canned heat is good for when you're remote with no electricity.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any time it called for the temp to get colder then -8 below zero I then add my own anti gel just to be safe. This time I used 1/3 qt of Howe's and so far at -31 below zero no fuel gelling problems.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by BMH95
I think there is a fuel supplier issue showing up here. I'm in Northern IL, and have been hearing about the diesel truck problems all day, from friends. Anywhere from what mine did to no starting at all. I think the fuel isn't treated right. I used to run anti-gel, but kept hearing everyone tell me we don't need it here. Now I know for sure they're wrong. I'll never trust the fuel supplier again. I'll also say that since they obviously aren't using enough anti-gel, I'm not going to trust them to use enough lube additive either. I'll stick with my 2stroke addative, and suppliment that with anti-gel during the winter.
You're scaring me. Truck hasn't moved since Tuesday and I need to fire it up in 40 minutes. I have no additive except 2-stroke in the tank. Tank is full and I flipped the block heater on at 1PM...Fingers crossed!
I'm in Newark, IL.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Same problem

Mine sat in airport for 4 days and it was -22 last nite. Wouldn't even turn over even with 2 new sears platinum batteries. I did put 1/2 bottle of PS in it before I went, I don't think it was gelled, just to dang thick oil and 4 days straight of -15. Ended up having it towed to a garage to get it indoors over nite. Will pick it up in the morning, I hope it's better ! I need it.
I think I am going to look into an espar !!!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:25 PM

You can also use ether, just MAKE sure ya disconnect the gird heater so ya don't blow yourself up. Due to an injector issue on my 04.5 I had to use ether quite a few times to get it to start, BUT I disconnected the grid heater. Someone also told me about using silicone instead of ether but I never tried that.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 AM

-40* here every winter never have had any trouble like what you guys are describing. Strange, they must make sure our diesel is winter grade.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BMH95
do the big otr rigs have the gelling problem?? if not, the problem is personal care
Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 AM

Well, the truck started but it took 3 hard tries.
Plus, I couldn't get into the pedal much or it would drain the rail.
I assume the fuel filter was waxing up.
I made it to NAPA and got an addititve that cleared that up.
The main ingredient was Naptha? I shudder to think of the
lubricity issues I probably have right now.
Anyhow, I can guarantee you it wasn't 'personal care'.

Once I made it back to town for a libation, everyone was talking about trouble.
BMH95 is right; they didn't have the fuel right for the temps we got.
But the temps were extrordinary for IL. We had trains derailing
due to frozen switches all week.

Quick Reply: Truck is gelled sitting at work in lot, help!