3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trans Temp & Tow/Haul lights flashing

Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Temp & Tow/Haul lights flashing

I am new to the forum and would sure appreciate some help! I have a 2004.5 3500 with the 48re. At 89k miles I started getting a momentary flash of the trans temp and tow/haul light together. Just stays on barely long enough to see what it is. Occsaionally the lights will stay on a few seconds and the trans actually shifts into tow/haul mode. Checked codes and am getting a P0713 code (trans temp sensor high voltage) registered. I took it in to the dealer who could not find a problem - trans temp checked OK - had them check the pan, flush and filter since it was due anyway.

Has anyone had this problem? It sounds like an electrical problem to me. I checked, cleaned, and applied a little dielectric grease to all of the connectors, but no change.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have been having a similar problem that is intermittent. every once in the while- the truck will go into tow haul mode by itself. i hit the button and it goes back into over drive. a couple of minutes later-tow haul mode again. can happen twice while out for a drive or might be weeks before it happens again- which is the case now- but i am throwing no codes and my temp light does not go on. the tow haul buttons works. the only thing the scanner shows, is that there is no communication between my transfer case!! which is odd. i have the manual transfer case and i am running dyna trac lock out hubs- everything is functioning fine. i posted about the message i got with the transfer case- but i got no answers from other members. it is obviously electrical- talked to a couple of people and they suggested it might be the tps- throttle position sensor. i have not had the chance to check it out. but will soon. keep me posted please.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Angry 48re-shift,****,shift,****,****,****,****!,etc....

awesome forum. been reading for past few years for general and interesting info concerning my truck. new to DTR as a member. i have an 04.5 600 w/ 149k , having the same problem with auto trans. poor shift pattern when cold. trans temp & tow/haul light flashes intermittantly for first couple miles of operation. more recent, warning lights flash when slowing or stopping at freeway off ramp or stop light. after a complete stop, the trans will go from 1,2,3 and top gear in the first 150 ft. just had trans filtered and flushed. any info on repair/glitch will be helpful.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by RepairBill
I am new to the forum and would sure appreciate some help! I have a 2004.5 3500 with the 48re. At 89k miles I started getting a momentary flash of the trans temp and tow/haul light together. Just stays on barely long enough to see what it is. Occsaionally the lights will stay on a few seconds and the trans actually shifts into tow/haul mode. Checked codes and am getting a P0713 code (trans temp sensor high voltage) registered. I took it in to the dealer who could not find a problem - trans temp checked OK - had them check the pan, flush and filter since it was due anyway.

Has anyone had this problem? It sounds like an electrical problem to me. I checked, cleaned, and applied a little dielectric grease to all of the connectors, but no change.
I had a similar problem when mine was brand new. It was some sensor in the trans. It was intermittent, so the tech at the dealer had to drive it around all day to get the problem to duplicate. Tell them to keep driving it until it happens.

Nick
Old 05-17-2008, 08:06 PM

Mine's started doing this too, any updates from the prior posts?

Chime from dash, tow haul and trans temp will come on, generally downshifts, last for perhaps 5 seconds at the most, then back to normal. This seems to happen intermittently from a warm or cold start, usually within the first 5 minutes of driving, whether hot or cold. I am getting a P 0713 code as well. I'm still just barely under warranty, so I suppose I'll take it in the to dealer as soon as I get the chance. In the meantime just wondering what others may have found on this and whether or not I ought to be driving it in the mean time.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:25 PM

Well, my 2004 is fixed. I took it to the dealer once and they checked the trans temp (fine), then flushed and serviced the tranny. No change, still had same problem which got progressively worse. I took it in again and was VERY specific in my description of the problem. They changed out the shift module in the tranny which also houses the temp sensor - problem gone. I will look and get you the specific name of the part replaced when I get back home.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 PM

transmission governor pressure transducer, also holds the temp sensor,Change it.they are a common problem.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:11 PM

Yep, that is it! Transmission governor pressure transducer.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info, its going to the shop Monday morning

Thanks for the information, its going into the shop on Monday. Its been really intermittent so I don't know how they'll go about deciding if that's what the fix should be. Some drives it happens a number of times, the next drive it won't do it at all.

If that's actually the faulty part, I'm wondering if its more or less likely to happen depending on how much you tow? About 50% of the miles on my truck have been towing a 28 foot toy hauler / camper trailer.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Slightly different fix for mine (I guess...)

I picked up the truck from the dealer this afternoon. The problem has been so intermittent that I am a bit skeptical that it is fixed just yet, but it hasn't exhibited the problem either. Given a few days driving and perhaps my confidence that its fixed will increase.

I know very little about the innards of an automatic transmission. The service invoice says: Cause Shorted, replaced solenoid transmission govenor and replaced solenoid torque converter lock up.

The shifting feels different now. Can't really say how, but it just feels different.

We'll get the camper behind it in a couple of weekends again and test it out then.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:21 PM

Intermittent problem came back and I think the dealer got it fixed this time.

I will argue that it felt like it was shifting differently than it used to and the tow / haul, trans temp, downshift symptom came back.

So back to the dealer.

They drove it around with their DRB III connected and were getting all sorts of intermittent readings. So this time they replaced a pressure sensor transducer and the governor pressure solenoid.

Now it feels like its old self and in a number of short errand trips this weekend its not happened again. So maybe its finally fixed.

The dealer service people were really decent about the whole thing and quite apologetic that they didn't fix it the first time.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM

Talking Transmission tow haul and transmission temp light

I had the same problem took it to the dodge dealer my friend works at and he checked it out. My dodge is a 2006 2500 4x4. He talked to the transmission tech and he load tested the batteries. The batteries were at 600 on the drivers side and 618 on the passenger side (cold cranking amps) it was suppost to be 800 CCA each. He cleared the code on it and there was no engine check light on. After that no more issues.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why is it always the new guys that reply to 4 1/2 year old threads like they were recent?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Knowledge is sometimes free everything else has a price
Old 06-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Trans Temp & OD lights flashing

My 2007 2500 Dodge is doing similar however instead of the Tow/Haul light flashing the Overdrive flashes. It has been doing it for a while. I never had a problem until I had the transmission serviced. Then when on a long trip it started. Took it to a transmission shop (very reputable) they changed solenoids in transmission. That seemed to cure it for maybe 9 months. Took it back and the same work was done with the same results. The mechanic tells me that he thinks it is an electrical problem. Took the truck to a dealer and had a wiring diagnostic run on the truck and nothing was found. The transmission guy at the dealership says he thinks the problem is internal, and the options are to replace tranny with a re-manufactured one from Dodge, or rebuild the one that id in it. The price was quoted $6,200 for the re-manufactured one or $6,700 to rebuild the one that is in it. Please help!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans Temp & Tow/Haul lights flashing