3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny service , now low speed surge

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed via new TSB for "one two shuttle shift". Just came out a couple of days ago. Replaced governor solenoid. So far, better than new. I had a tranny service 3 months ago and again today. Almost as good as a flush. I hope it lasts. FYI the tech said these solenoids only last about 30- 50k miles before acting up. See my post for the mega a/c fix approved by Dodge. That is happening thursday. Thanks to all who replied.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Well I am glad i found this thread 'cause after my 40k trans service my truck did the same thing as I desribed in another thread https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=154152
the dealer told me nothings wrong but I drive this thing daily and as mule describes it seems to be getting worse... Is the "one two shuttle shift" the official name for this TSB seriously
Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 PM

The dealer would not give me the TSB number. He said the "one two shuttle shift" is what it refers to.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Been out for a little while now! At least they got you fixed!

NUMBER: 21-009-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: May 24, 2007

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.
SUBJECT:
48RE Transmission - 1-2 Shift Hunt At Light Throttle
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the governor pressure solenoid valve in the
transmission valve body.
MODELS:
2004 - 2007 (DR/DH/D1) Ram Truck (2500/3500)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a 1-2 shift transmission hunt during light throttle application.
This condition may be due to a governor pressure solenoid valve.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04617210 Valve, Governor Pressure Solenoid
4 05013457AA ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
AR 02464324AC Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan (Note: Original pan
gasket is reusable and should not require
replacement).
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable lift. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.
2. Remove the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket. Clean and save the pan
gasket for later use during reassembly.
3. Disengage the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve (Fig. 1).
4. Remove the screws used to secure the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer to
the transmission valve body.
5. Remove the old governor pressure solenoid valve from the transmission valve body.
6. Clean the transmission housing and oil pan gasket surfaces.
7. Lubricate the o-rings on the new governor pressure solenoid valve.
8. Align the governor pressure solenoid valve to the bore in the valve body.
9. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve to the valve body.
NUMBER: 21-009-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: May 24, 2007
10. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer and attaching screws to the valve
body.
11. Connect the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve.
12. Install the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket (saved earlier) to the
transmission. Tighten attaching bolts to 13.6 Nm (125 in. lbs.).
Fig. 1 Governor Solenoid And Pressure Sensor
1 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR
2 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID VALVE
3 - ELECTRONIC GOVERNOR
13. Lower vehicle.
14. Add automatic transmission fluid to the transmission.
15. Verify correct transmission fluid level.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
21-96-05-90 Valve, Transmission Governor
Pressure Solenoid - Replace (B)
0.7 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action
Old 07-10-2007, 11:21 PM

I seriously love this site!!!!! This is the second time just recently I've gotten answers that the dealer doesn't have. Thanks guys.
BTW where was that bulletin from originally
Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

^ The worst part is they HAVE them! They just WON'T or DON'T use them for some reason. I made a darn good living as a Dodge tech because everytime something I hadn't seen came in I would check for a TSB first! (There were a lot of times too! ) Why would I want to do all the work that someone else has put the time in figuring out? The Dodge dealers have, IMO, one of the best and easiest to use web based info systems. It's the best way for them to beat flat rate time!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:41 PM

Can a dealer charge a fee to perform a TSB...The local dealership is trying to charge me my warranty deductible ($100) to perform this TSB and then they said if my truck continues to have problems (meaning if this is'nt what's wrong) they'll charge me my deductible again to look at it .
Why doesn't dodge just put a good tranny behind the big C in the first place they no what they use is crap
Old 07-28-2007, 10:24 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

If the truck is not under warranty, yes they can charge for it. I have the 48RE tranny and have had 0 probs with it in the 146k on the ticker. Sure, some will have trouble, but I've seen a few drivers that could screw up an anvil with a feather!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 PM

The truck has 45000 on it and has an extended warranty
Old 07-29-2007, 02:26 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Depends on what all the extended warranty covers. Sometimes the deductible is more than the actual repair would be. As for the 45k, yup, it's out of warranty for the factory part. There is still your extended warranty, but there are sooo many different ones out there.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 PM

it's the added care plus....it covers alot and the deductible is $100. I thought that I read in another thread that when it came to Tsb's warranty didn't matter that it was a manufacturer rerpair and was for the life of the vehichle
Old 07-29-2007, 02:39 PM

the thing is when I had another tsb done (altenator pulley) the factory warranty had already been up and they didnt charge me at all. It was a different service manager though
Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Nope, recalls are for the life of the vehicle. TSB's are for information only. They are just kind of a heads up before you start digging for a hard to find problem to look at TSB's. Someone esle ( or many ) may have run across this problem before and enough that Dodge felt a TSB would be helpful to the technicians.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Would you recomend spending the $100 having it done and hoping that's what's going on or waiting until it become a more frequent problem and worrying about it then.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:04 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I would ask if they will do all computer updates for a price. Once they are hooked up it doesn't take that much longer. I think the updates are well worth the money. Dodge spends a lot of money rewriting the programs for these computers so there has got to be something to it!

Quick Reply: Tranny service , now low speed surge