3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny questions

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am going to be buying my first diesel soon and am looking at a 06 3500 SRW.

My question is:
How much stonger if any are the manual trannys over the autos. I have searched many threads and have read many pros and cons of each.

I have seen some refer to their manuals as HD, is there an upgraded manual that I can get from DC?

My truck will be used to work, mostly just loading the bed up with tools, supplies, etc... Occasionally pulling a heavy equipment trailer , but not that often.

I am kinda old school in thinking manuals are more durable than autos. Is this true?

I have driven my stuff very hard and will prolly be doing some mods, like programmer, exhaust and othe bolt-ons.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 AM

As with any vehicle that makes big power, the transmission is the weak point.
I have the automatic, but I upgraded the torque converter and put an over-sized tranny pan to help. Without a hardened input shaft in the transmission, I'm afraid to launch with my Edge box turned up while in 4wd. For everyday, I prefer the automatic, just because it's an automatic.
However, I do believer the manual is stronger, once you upgrade the clutch. Stock, the clutch isn't a big deal.
Bottom line, it depends on you. Manuals get better fuel mileage, but you have to work at it, rowing the gears.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is only one manual tranny available with the Cummins and there is only one auto too. Both are good. You'll probably get a bunch of posts telling you what others prefer but it's really about what you prefer. There is no need to pick one because the other one is weak. Pick the one you'd enjoy using the most, the one that matches your driving style, the one you'll probably be more comfortable with. Are you going to race, or tow, or drive in the city most of the time? Will others be driving it too? Have you always had one style over the other?

Wetspirit
Old 05-01-2006, 03:02 PM

I would base what transmission to get on what type of driving you are going to do. If you are going to pull HEAVY loads then go with the standard. The slippage of an automatic torque convetor pulliong heavy loads is excessive. The transmission temp gets to high causing unit failure.

I myself bought the automatic, I only tow about 5000lbs and I hate driving a stick box in a truck.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TMan
If you are going to pull HEAVY loads then go with the standard. The slippage of an automatic torque convetor pulliong heavy loads is excessive. The transmission temp gets to high causing unit failure
I disagree wholehartedly, the automatic has "torque multiplication" through the converter, therefore making starting the load easier. They do build heat so we have cooler and once in lockup rollin' down the road they get better mileage based soley on the OD ratio. Which is lower on the Std, so higher RPM's.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:14 PM

This truck will be my daily driver, maybe the wife drives it once in awhile. I don't mind rowing the gears at all, actually enjoy it. It prolly wont see the track but I will be driving hard. I maintain my vehicles very well, but I beat on them real hard too.

It will spend a considerable amount of time loaded with various stuff, but won't tow "big" loads very often.

I will be bolting on the usual stuff and have always leaned a little towards the edge when it comes to tuning.

I know this is alot of preference and opinions, but it seems like I have read about alot of modded trucks blowing the autos.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:28 PM

The autos can blow. There are things that will make them bullet-proof, but that costs money. I put an aftermarket torque converter in that is tighter than stock ($900). The cooling part I helped with the over-sized tranny pan($120). It added 4 quarts. In order to really make the tranny tough, I need to put a hardened input shaft in. I think if I put the truck in 4wd, stalled it up and launched, it would snap off the stock input shaft.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:29 PM

Mod the auto, THEN mod the truck and you will have zero problems.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by topless
The autos can blow. There are things that will make them bullet-proof, but that costs money. I put an aftermarket torque converter in that is tighter than stock ($900). The cooling part I helped with the over-sized tranny pan($120). It added 4 quarts. In order to really make the tranny tough, I need to put a hardened input shaft in. I think if I put the truck in 4wd, stalled it up and launched, it would snap off the stock input shaft.
You need to do the output also, I have seen them go before the input!!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:02 AM

Hey, thanks for all of the help.

I am still a little torn on which to get. One day I'll lean towards the autos, next day manuals.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
I disagree wholehartedly, the automatic has "torque multiplication" through the converter, therefore making starting the load easier. They do build heat so we have cooler and once in lockup rollin' down the road they get better mileage based soley on the OD ratio. Which is lower on the Std, so higher RPM's.
I am glad you disagree, But the T in Tman stands for transmissions. I haven't seen any Standards blow from overloading, I see a lot of automatics that are overworked and overheated causing damage. Never seen a snapped shaft, mostly overheating problems, That torgue multiplication is what heats the fluid up..
Old 05-03-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by TMan
I am glad you disagree, But the T in Tman stands for transmissions. I haven't seen any Standards blow from overloading, I see a lot of automatics that are overworked and overheated causing damage. Never seen a snapped shaft, mostly overheating problems, That torgue multiplication is what heats the fluid up..
T stands for transmissions--does that mean you are good at breaking them??

The manual transmission usually doesn't "blow" as you say, but the clutch does fry, I have seen many of those. If you are burning up your automatic you need more cooling for one, and depending on when you are building all of this heat a change might be needed in the TC. Once locked up you should build next to no heat. I personally have had a 47RE truck loaded to about 25K and the tranny ran at about 150*F on the highway and around 190*F in stop and go traffic.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:45 PM

T stands for transmissions--does that mean you are good at breaking them?? ..

Nah, I fix a lot of them though.

DOdge's electronics aren't all that good, now that I think about it none of them are. That's what the heat usually destroys first and once your pr valve (dodge calls it a gov. pr. sensor) starts messing up.......

I have put very few clutches in Diesels.

2 in one GM wrecker....goes about 110,000 between clutches and one in an 03 Qcab 4x4 Dodge... had 212,000 on the original clutch and stripped the hub loose.

Couple of dozen standards, either the 5th gear nut comes loose or they get a small leak and people run them dry becuse they never check the fluid.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:28 PM

Where are you located?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:38 PM

Where are you located?
If it's me, outside of Houston Texas. Where it's allready hot.

Quick Reply: Tranny questions