3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

tranny holds back these trucks badly

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tranny holds back these trucks badly

Alright, I was hauling hay with my dad and I was following him in my dodge. He was driving his king ranch f350 powerstroke pulling his gooseneck trailer with his tractor on it. We go down through a creek to get to the hayfield where a friend of his had bailed the hay. They had supposedly worked on the road so you could drive through it. They didn't fill it in very well so it bottoms out real low then goes back up. My dad is going through and the back of the dovetail on the trailer bottoms out. Well he drags the trailer for about 2 feet then starts back up and the ground under his back tires gives way and he buries the backend of his truck. He gives it another shot and starts smoking the front tires on the ford. Talk about torq. So I unhook my trailer and jump through the creek dragging my passengerside on the ground going through a giant dropoff. We hook a tow rope on his truck and I start pulling. I drug him about 4 inches then the truck gives up. That is the only complaint I have about these trucks. My brother had an 01 that would do the ame thing. It has to be the trannies in these things because you know the motors have more power than that. Why don't they do something about this? We ended up having to call a bulldozer to get him started out. The dozer squatted and finally got him started out. The eye hooks on the front of his truck started bending in as the dozer was pulling him out. Then the powerstroke pulled the hill the rest of the way. I know you guys all badmouth the duramax and powerstroke but we haven't had any trouble with my dads ford and my previous chevy at all. My brother was aggravating me saying "he would take back that dodge since it couldn't even pull out a ford". I defend my truck though so don't worry about that. I told him that his chevy couldn't have jumped the creek I went through. My dad backed me up there by saying I did jump a hell of a hole in the creek. But these trucks pull so hard and then they almost stall out. Whats up with that?
Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 AM

I will say also though that I hauled the tractor on the last load while my dad hauled the hay back to his barn. I used his bumper pull trailer and the safety chains were dragging and the dodge pulled it like there wasn't anything to it. I was impressed with the way it pulled but the pulling out thing disappointed me.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:47 AM

I think to examine the full story here, you should have let another auto Ford and an auto chevy try to pull the stuck ford out before you hooked the bulldozer up to do the dirty work. Then we could discuss the merits of each trucks pulling prowess. You need to provide pics with stories like these - otherwise they may have never happened.

Glad to hear everyone got out ok with nothing broken.

I never did care for the auto's and I'm happy with my NV5600; but if comes down to a pulling contest between a truck like mine or a dozer, I'll put money on the dozer.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Muted User

I take it you weren't on pavement, if not you should of been spinning tires so a better trans. wouldn't of helped much.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:49 AM

When your stuck your stuck. My father had his 03 burried to his differentials hauling a 20' trailer loaded w/ two 1936 Chevy's. I tried yanking him out of that hole with my current setup(MT tires and all) and I just started to dig my self a grave. We had a dozer come by and he was struggling to get it out, he had it in 4lo, lifted the front out of the hole and slowly pulled us out.

If your in a nasty situation like that it's best to stay away from it, especially with the stock tires. Pavement & dirt are apples and oranges.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Banned

sounds like he was stuck pretty bad. if it squatted a dozer and bent the tow rings, then its probably best youll let a dozer get it out before something gave way. enjoy the truck

brett
Old 10-28-2006, 10:52 AM

I wouldn’t worry about it. I don’t think it would have mattered what brand of truck tried to pull him out. If it weren’t for the AT you’d have spun the tires and could have sliced one. Like the previous poster noted if the tow hooks are bending you are really stuck. Just be glad no one was hut and nothing was broken.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read accounts in this forum of owners of older Dodges with a stick delivering heavier than max rated loads that owners of new Fords with autos couldn't even move. The fancier the auto the more 'torque management' it will use, where it reduces power in order to minimize slippage and other damage. The Allison seems to defuel in 1st, 5th, during shifts, and in other situations where it encounters slippage.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned

I second bretteaton, If the dozer was squatting and you bent the tow hooks, I dont think any passenger truck could have got him out.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by coparam4x4
I second bretteaton, If the dozer was squatting and you bent the tow hooks, I dont think any passenger truck could have got him out.
That's for sure!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:42 PM

i would have to agree with the other guys if it took a dozer to pull out your fathers truck and it was deforming the tow hooks then there was no way you would have pulled him out with your dodge or a ford or a chevy. and if your borther keeps giving you **** about it find out what the rating on the tow hooks is, cause most hardened steels don't start to deform 'til about 18,000 -20,000 LBS thats just a little over what your dodge ram is rated for pulling
Old 10-28-2006, 03:38 PM

We were on soft dirt. My tires wouldn't even spin at all. The tow hooks giving a little and bending shocked me. I have never seen any hooks give way any at all. I love my truck , don't get me wrong. My dad and brother have both been giving me **** for having a dodge. I was just surprised at how my truck almost seemed to give up. It's obvious he was stuck with the dozer squatting etc.. I guess I was kind of disappointed, thats all. The odds of anything besides a dozer pulling him out were slim I know but I did move him a few inches before it quit doing anything. I'm not badmouthing my truck at all. As far as the guy suggesting the story is made up because I don't have pics on here, give me a break. What type of clown story is this to say well lets take pictures first then call the dozer to come get this truck out. What type of loser would make up a story to bad mouth his own truck? Give me a break.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:48 PM

I can't believe you were in soft dirt, trying to pull something that was stuck and not spinning the tires?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:51 PM

No kidding. That what my dad was saying too. His ford spun all four of his and was smoking the fronts. I jump through the creek to get in front of him and hook onto him, started pulling and after so long it just seemed to give up. Like it wound up so tight and then nothing. Never spun at all. I know the cummins has all the power it needs so it has to be the tranny not being able to handle it all right? What else could it be?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were you in 4-LOW? I can't believe you weren't spinning either. Maybe in 4-hi with that much weight the TC was really slipping but in 4-low i'd say somethin is wrong

Quick Reply: tranny holds back these trucks badly