3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Thoughts on ATS transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on ATS transmissions?

As the title says, what is everybody's thoughts on ATS transmissions? I'm looking at their full billet deal for my truck as mine is not shifting like it once was!(something about a smarty being turned up or something...?) Does anybody run one or know someone that does? Pros, Cons, etc.? Talked to a sales rep today and he said the've increased their warranty to 5yr/500,00miles!!! They offered me a great deal on one (my 2 buddies are looking to buy as well thu the deal!) that would include shipping and core returns as well!
I see people talking about other tranys on this site but being in Edmonton, AB Canada, I have to worry about exchange and shipping from the states. Heard horror stories about NADP and talked to them but always left with a bad vibe from them.(arrogance?) Nonetheless, I would consider their heavy hauler if I hear enough good things about them! Anyways, its a big chunk of cash here and ANY input would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanx for helpin' a lost soul!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:59 PM

No one has a thing to say about ATS? Good or Bad?? ANy other manufacturers I should be considering, regardless of shipping/exchange?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where you located?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 PM

I have one and love it, its held up this far.......
Old 11-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I have one and it has never let me down. Great people, great service
Old 11-14-2008, 11:12 PM

I do not have a built trans. Don't know much about them either. But.... I have been using this site for a few months now, as well as a couple other's. It seems that more people say, stay away from ATS, than people say to use them. Why, I don't know. I'm sure there are allot of people who could tell you otherwise. This is just what I have noticed using these sites.

My question is, when it comes to a fully built trans. What are the real differences between the big companies. ATS, Suncoast, Goerend, ect.ect?
What is the differences between a Suncoast triple disk converter, and a Goerend triple disk? They all do valve body upgrades. What really does Suncoast do differently than NADP on a valve body?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by al5608
I do not have a built trans. Don't know much about them either. But.... I have been using this site for a few months now, as well as a couple other's. It seems that more people say, stay away from ATS, than people say to use them. Why, I don't know. I'm sure there are allot of people who could tell you otherwise. This is just what I have noticed using these sites.

My question is, when it comes to a fully built trans. What are the real differences between the big companies. ATS, Suncoast, Goerend, ect.ect?
What is the differences between a Suncoast triple disk converter, and a Goerend triple disk? They all do valve body upgrades. What really does Suncoast do differently than NADP on a valve body?
Very good questions... does anybody have insight into this tid bit?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
Where you located?
I live in Edmonton Alberta.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:25 PM

People tend to listen to others way to much, one guy blew up a TC and all the sudden everyone hates ats, so and so on, Do your research make a gut choice and try it. Then again maybe me living in Denver helps my ATS choices. Sweet a%% shop though. 2 PENNIES
Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by DENVERDODGE04
People tend to listen to others way to much, one guy blew up a TC and all the sudden everyone hates ats, so and so on, Do your research make a gut choice and try it. Then again maybe me living in Denver helps my ATS choices. Sweet a%% shop though. 2 PENNIES
Thats sorta the feeling I'm gettin after reading these forums. Sounds like lots of people have jumped on the "band wagon" persay of hating ATS. I'm not here to defend them, I just want to get first person experience input back and make my decision based on that! Thanx for your 2 cents!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, A little far to get it built and installed in Dallas.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Banned

i just put in a trans from dtt ... i have nothing but good things to say about them i Edit love the way this thing shifts ....

it wasn't cheap but the good stuff never is .... and bill was awsome to deal with he was very direct and and a no bs guy i look forward to abusing this trans for years to come
Old 11-15-2008, 02:23 AM

No failures with my tranny and I'd recommend one in a second. Several buddies of mine have had warranty issues with ats, but other than that I dont have any experience with them.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Here's my take on aftermarket trannies...

The major builders have good equipment. ATS, Suncoast, Gorend, HTS, so forth and so on. I have an ATS, and it is doing great. I had a small, self induced problem with some electronics, and they stayed with me the whole time, and helped me till I got it fixed. Love the tranny.

Now... Here's what I reccomend. Find a builder that is close to you. I know that NADP is in Canada... and they turn out good stuff. You can have the best tranny in the world, but if you need something, and they are 10 light years away from you (read: South Carolina-Colorado) then it sucks.

There are people that say, " I've had this tranny, and this tranny, and this is the best!" Yeah, that may be true, and I agree that there are some tranny guys that are better than others, but none of the big ones are bad.

HTH...

mad
Old 11-15-2008, 07:51 AM

What about DTT? They are in Canada aren't they? Are they not one of the top tranny builders ?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on ATS transmissions?