3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is there such a thing..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there such a thing..........

as a E- rated , great riding tire, long treadlife, holds a balance, and gets good traction? I have read until I'm blue in the face! I just want to get 285/70/17's on my truck, but want them to last too! I have looked and looked all over, and only found a handfull. What is everyone else running, and what are you getting for mileage out of them. I want to go through a modest amount of snow and mud. I don't wanna run the local mud bogs, and probably will never see over 10 - 12 inches of snow. Still, I wanna be able to go through it if we get it. BUTTT! I also wanna be comfortable on the highway too. Don't wanna hear the load rumble of an aggressive tread. I need them to be E-rated to haul my trailer and camper as well. I'm willing to give and take some, but.............

Am I really asking for too much?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked for the same. Finally went with a 265 E rated BFG AT KO.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get Toyo AT's in that size E rated. Mine are D's because I thought that's all they were available in until I found out otherwise on this forum. They're just as quiet as stock 265's and mine balanced out fine. No vibrations or shaking at all. I've only got 7k miles but they look to be holding up well and everyone else says they'll last a long time. Good traction on wet roads and plenty good for muddy trails out in the fields. I don't know how they do in snow we don't get much of that here.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle
I looked for the same. Finally went with a 265 E rated BFG AT KO.
those are a nice tire two of my buddies have tose one has them on a 2500 hd chevy with the 265/70/16's E they are holdin up real good for him he dont burnout atall and kinda takes it easy on them tho but still good ,
them my other buddy has a setof 285/70/16's D on his 2599 dodge and he ripped the lugs on the tread right off but i think its from spining the tires.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:30 PM

I'm not sure about 285's, but the Pirelli Scorpion ATR and the Bridgestone Dueler Revo are both semi-quiet and great in the snow and ice. BFG AT's are also good, I didn't know they came in "E" range.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the Pirelli's and they are good mileage and quiet. Lousy in snow and ice in my experience. I use them for summer only. I have two sets of rims and in the winter I was using the Les Schwab "Dean Mud Terrain" in 33.12.50.17. Very good results but they are only D rated. I have since put on Truxus MT's and they are very quiet and have an outstanding rep in snow and ice... well priced at $210 and E rated too. But, have heard they only last about 40k too. Toyo AT's, dueler revos mentioned above and BFG AT's perform similarly and last longer than the truxus... but not quite as good in the snow either. And that is not to say they are bad... they're not. But everything is a compromise!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:30 PM

The Toyo Opencountry AT's are an excellent tire for an E range non aggressive tread tire. I have the Nitto Terragrapplers on mine, same manufacturer, and they are smooth and not noisy at all. Also, talked to the tire tech and they said that the BFG's are excellent as well, but they will chatter on the inside and outsides. So I opted for the Nitto's, glad I went with them instead.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 AM

i put these on my dually:

http://www.michelinman.com/ltx-at2/
Old 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

That looks like exactly what I want, but they are only D-rated
Old 10-01-2007, 02:14 PM

why not go with a 305/65R17 BFG AT? They are only a little wider than the 285s and they come in load range E.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Buddy has those, and I'm not real impressed with how they do in mud and snow. They look nice, but he gets stuck on a 5 degree wet grass incline! LOL I might try thos Michelins even though they are only D's. The look nice.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:19 PM

i would think the Michelins would do much worse because the BFGs have a more aggressive tread.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vzdude
Buddy has those, and I'm not real impressed with how they do in mud and snow. They look nice, but he gets stuck on a 5 degree wet grass incline! LOL I might try thos Michelins even though they are only D's. The look nice.
If you're that concerned about getting stuck in mud and/or snow, I don't think you'll really be happy with any A/T tire. I would go with Toyo M/T's and maybe get them siped. By far the quietest M/T tire I've ever seen. I have 14k on my 295's and estimate I'll get at least another 10-15k out of them. That's with a bunch of burnouts and at least 25+ trips down the track. Plus I keep mine aired down a little when not towing (so they ride better) and that also makes them wear faster.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM

You are not going to find many tall tires with E rating unless you increase rim size. To understand why we must understand the difference between Load Index, and Load Range.

LOAD INDEX: The load index indicates the maximum weight that a tire can accommodate vertically at a given PSI (pounds per square inch). Keep in mind that load ratings are determined using an applied vertical force against a tire under laboratory conditions (usually 65 ambient degrees). The heat rating for the tire can affect the maximum load the tire can handle at a given temperature.

LOAD RANGE: is another way of indicating the ability of a tire to handle stress and weight. This time, we are indicating how much load can be placed on the tire horizontally. Often, these tires are associated with towing because the back end of the car tends to wallow while towing a trailer. In other words, you are exerting stress on the tire from side-to-side.

So you can see how a larger tire by the same manufacturer can have the same load index but different load ratings, also if there are larger tires with E load rating I imagine that they would be a little less smooth than the same size D rated tire.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Redeye... hit it before I could get to it... But there are MANY "E" rated choices in the 18" and 20" Rim Sizes...

But if your like me and don't have the $$$$ to get new rims and are keeping your 17" stockers... go with the Toyo M/T's I got the 35"x11.5's and have run just over 12,000 miles and made one 1500 mile trip with my 30' camper... The tread looks very good... I have not measured it but there is not much wear... at the rate it's going now... I should be able to get another 25k miles easy. The first balance was a little shaky... I brought to another shop and they did a better job. They run smooth and not to loud, even with the windows down... Just a low hum.

Also there are a few more "E" rated choices in the 285/70 range!!! The Nitto's are nice too the mud graplers (I've been told) don't get the mileage wear, but my brother loves his terra grapplers...

Quick Reply: Is there such a thing..........