3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Testing Fan Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea what the dealer will charge for the flashing or replacement?

Originally Posted by jmlcolorado
Probably not the ECM but could be the ICM (Intergrated Control Module). This controls all the lighting, switching, and I understand the fan clutch as well.
Dealer can flash this and see if it's the problem.
I also understand that we can not replace these ourselves as the new ICM needs to be flashed by the dealer to match the truck.

I've just wired the switch I mentioned above. It's a PItA but it's been working fine for now till I get enough down time and $ to have the dealer replace the ICM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vanellies
Any idea what the dealer will charge for the flashing or replacement?
No idea. I think it's around $100 to test it. I don't even want to give you a guess for replacmemt for fear of being way off.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 AM

****! Well I may have to bite the bullet.

No idea. I think it's around $100 to test it. I don't even want to give you a guess for replacmemt for fear of being way off.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 AM

****! Well I may have to bite the bullet.

Let us know the outcome and cost associated with the fix.
Good luck!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 AM

Oh I heard from another diesel forum that you have to replace the fan clutch with one from dodge, because its an electronic one. Is this true?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Oh I heard from another diesel forum that you have to replace the fan clutch with one from dodge, because its an electronic one. Is this true?
That's right. It's call a viscous fan clutch which is electronically controled.
Basically, the switch I have on mine gives the fan full on/full off capabilities. These fans move a TON of air (**MUCH more than any electric fan is capable of, in case you were thinking of going that route).
The ICM controls how much the fan engages. It's hardly ever full on unless your towing heavy up a big grade.
The ICM reads coolest temp, ambient temp and a few other permiter a to decide how much and when to engage the viscous fan clutch, and how much.

I'm not sure you could put anything other than a dodge fan clutch on the truck.
The fan clutch isn't too expensive really, but if it's still not operating right, it's something else down the line.

Have you tried the key trick to see if it's throwing any codes?
Might try that first. You could even take it to any cookie cutter auto parts store and they can read codes for you on their machine for free.that might be the best starting point.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 AM

I have tried the key reader and it throws the fan clutch code up. I did replace the fan clutch with a Viscous one. It wasn't factory from Dodge though.

I also hooked up a cheap scan tool from Harbor Freight and it didn't produce any codes, but the key trick did. What gives?

That's right. It's call a viscous fan clutch which is electronically controled.
Basically, the switch I have on mine gives the fan full on/full off capabilities. These fans move a TON of air (**MUCH more than any electric fan is capable of, in case you were thinking of going that route).
The ICM controls how much the fan engages. It's hardly ever full on unless your towing heavy up a big grade.
The ICM reads coolest temp, ambient temp and a few other permiter a to decide how much and when to engage the viscous fan clutch, and how much.

I'm not sure you could put anything other than a dodge fan clutch on the truck.
The fan clutch isn't too expensive really, but if it's still not operating right, it's something else down the line.

Have you tried the key trick to see if it's throwing any codes?
Might try that first. You could even take it to any cookie cutter auto parts store and they can read codes for you on their machine for free.that might be the best starting point.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 AM

So I replaced the Fan clutch with a non OEM doorman brand. I took it to the mechanic and he hooked up his 10k scanner and said it wasn't getting any rpm readings. It obviously isn't engaging at all, so he thinks its a faulty fan clutch. Has anybody tried the Napa brand fan clutch? They want $515 for a mopar one and the Napa brand is 220
Van
Old 06-04-2016, 07:04 AM

Breathing life into an old thread. I appreciate everyone's posts on here, but I don't see where anyone ended up with any real resolution. Here is my scenario:
I did replace the ECM & had it flashed at the dealer.
I replaced the fan hub assembly & fan clutch.
I can hear the compressor kicking on and off & I have ample refrigerant & pressure.
I have no AC and no defrost. Every now and again it will randomly seem to work, but very rarely. I test it every time I drive my '03 Ram.
I have attempted to pin out some of the connections and thus far have not found anything to indicate what or where my issue is.

So, has anyone landed at a resolution for this plaguing issue?
Old 06-04-2016, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by correngcon
Breathing life into an old thread. I appreciate everyone's posts on here, but I don't see where anyone ended up with any real resolution. Here is my scenario:
I did replace the ECM & had it flashed at the dealer.
I replaced the fan hub assembly & fan clutch.
I can hear the compressor kicking on and off & I have ample refrigerant & pressure.
I have no AC and no defrost. Every now and again it will randomly seem to work, but very rarely. I test it every time I drive my '03 Ram.
I have attempted to pin out some of the connections and thus far have not found anything to indicate what or where my issue is.

So, has anyone landed at a resolution for this plaguing issue?

I never did find a resolution to mine. I came to the conclusion that the IPM (integrated power module) had an issue. And I wasn't willing to buy another.
I ended up installing a toggle switch under the dash and spliced into ground on the fan clutch to power it. I didn't need it in much unless hauling heavy or siting in traffic with the ac on. At that time, I'd flip on the switch, a minute or so later, the fan would kick in full blast. Kept ac cold and temps at bay.
Only problem (errr. ONE of the problems with this "solution") is the fan would be full blast at all times.
Rolling through a parking lot slowly would sound like a freight train was coming. The fan pulls LOTS of air!