3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

in-tank lift pumps: truth, myths, speculations, lies.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in-tank lift pumps: truth, myths, speculations, lies.

Just thought I would give some of you guys a place to post.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya, I thought we were getting a little low on lift pump thread's.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
Ya, I thought we were getting a little low on lift pump thread's.
What's a lift pump?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Banned

This is all about counteracting my Walbro/Bosch recommendation, right ?

Here is the deal with the in tank lift pumps. The VP44 boys say they are seeing pressures of 7 to 10 PSI from these pumps. With that pressure capability all it takes is some cold fuel and/or a dirty fuel filter and you've got a starving fuel pump, be it a VP44 or CP3. A starving fuel pump will fail. And they are expensive to replace.

Replacing the stock lift pump (in tank or otherwise) with a good, high performance lift pump (Bosch, Walbro, FASS or otherwise) is cheap insurance. And given how good the Cummins engine is and how much grief Dodge owners have had with lift pumps, I think they might be interested in knowing about some lift pump insurance.

Do you run your engine with low oil pressure ? Then why would you chance running your injection pump with a lack of fuel ? People think that if the engine doesn't sputter things are OK. Unfortunately that isn't true.

Whether or not the in tank lift pumps prove to be durable is another aspect to this discussion worthy of considering. Time will tell. But the point remains, if a good viable alternative exists (Walbro, Bosch, etc.) why even take that chance ?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Banned

I would say it's more to do with your misleading information about warranty and in-tank misconceptions. Your including in-tank lift pumps as no good for the CP3 application that you have talked about in other threads.

At least I see your getting the point about warranty in some of your later posts.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Like I could mislead the Dodge community on the failure rate of lift pumps ! That is hilarious. There are about 10 boards that talk about Dodge diesels with thousands of members each. I am one guy.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superduty
Like I could mislead the Dodge community on the failure rate of lift pumps ! That is hilarious. There are about 10 boards that talk about Dodge diesels with thousands of members each. I am one guy.
Misleading again, I said in-tank lift pumps. You know very well I have supported you on the engine mounted and fuel filter pumps.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

This is all about counteracting my Walbro/Bosch recommendation, right ?
Wrong, I don't care what people use as long as they are told all aspects of what if and what if not's.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

"At least I see your getting the point about warranty in some of your later posts."

I am not conceding a darn thing with respect to warranty. If I owned a new Dodge truck I would have a replacement lift pump on it the first week. Why wait for something to fail and damage the CP3 and then try to get the dealer to understand that. Why not PREVENT the problem in the first place. If the lift pump got into the reference about warranty denial at some point in the future, I am VERY sure I could come up with a few good arguments about why it ENHANCED the longevity of my engine rather than worked to its detriment. Which is more than I can say for 99% of all the other mods that are talked about on this board. Mods which people seem to have little hesitation to perform.

As far as I am concerned, if there ever was ONE mod you would want to do to save you and your engine grief down the road, this would be it. Save maybe the Killer Dowel Pin removal.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

"Wrong, I don't care what people use as long as they are told all aspects of what if and what if not's."

Then you better go tell them everything they are missing. I suggest you start in the 2nd gen forums with the VP44 guys. They have lots of experience with lift pumps and are just finding out how great the in tank lift pump really is. They will be really happy to have someone reassure them.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Until you have to start spending your own money to fix everything on your truck because the warranty was void. I have been there done that. You don't have to worry about DC's warranty issues, you don't have one.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

The people on this board are capable of making their own warranty decisions. They are big boys. But you better go warn them.

I can see the boys at Dodge now. "What ? He replaced the lift pump with one that is heavier and flows more fuel when it is cold ? And because of this the CP3 didn't fail yet. Cancel that warranty immediately !"
Old 01-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

"Wrong, I don't care what people use as long as they are told all aspects of what if and what if not's."

Then you better go tell them everything they are missing. I suggest you start in the 2nd gen forums with the VP44 guys. They have lots of experience with lift pumps and are just finding out how great the in tank lift pump really is. They will be really happy to have someone reassure them.
Misleading again, I said CP3 application. I bought a new 1999 and had the same lift pump problems, 4 of them. Your not telling me anything new here.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

The people on this board are capable of making their own warranty decisions. They are big boys. But you better go warn them.

I can see the boys at Dodge now. "What ? He replaced the lift pump with one that is heavier and flows more fuel when it is cold ? And because of this the CP3 didn't fail yet. Cancel that warranty immediately !"
Alot of people are on these boards to find information and sometimes people get overwelhmed with there problems and for get what could be a very bad move.

It's all about being within DC's spec's. They don't put out a warranty just so people can go and change things and then expect DC to cover it.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I hate to say anything, but I have to. With all due respect to Superduty, you have a great idea. But I've read too many post's where the dealer voided someone's for some BS reason. There's NO WAY I would risk my warranty for this. I don't think anyone else will either. Maybe I'm wrong. Take a poll,,,"Will you risk your warranty for something that could be fixed under warranty". You say you can argue the point. Well you'll have to. Like telling it to the Judge since you're now in small claim's court since DC voided your warranty and you had to pay for everything out of your pocket. I of course, don't mean you litteraly.

The reason I went with the FASS is for the extra filter's. I transport car's all over the country, and have gotten bad fuel more than once. Maybe the filter's just might save me some grief. Maybe they won't. But it is piece of mind thinking so. The other reason is IT'S A BIG TAX DEDUCTION.

Like I said, I think you have a great idea for those out of warranty. I'm not picking on you in any way, and I don't want to argue. Have a nice day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: in-tank lift pumps: truth, myths, speculations, lies.