3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Stubbling issues looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stubbling issues looking for advice

I have a '05 that seems to be having engine stumble & fuel issues. I've only noticed this since the cold weather has hit in WI. Whenever I start the truck up & my voltage is about 13vdc, I have low fuel pressure, (3-5 psi running, 1-3 before starting). I get the same low pressure & voltage after I've run at operating temps, stop & restart the truck. The fuel pressure will come up to 7-8 psi usually after the intake heater shuts off (approx 20mph) where the voltage will go to 14-15vdc & I've driven about 1 mile.

Does any one else see the same thing?

The low fuel pressure doesn't bother me as much as this occasional engine stumble that throws a P0192 (low fuel rail pressure) [that is the only code that shows up]. I can't do it all of the time, but it usually happens when the truck isn't warmed up or a very short trip & the fuel pressure is between 4-5 psi. It has only thrown the code about 5 times now. The dealer said that they will not do anything since the MIL keeps going off after X number of starts.

I originally thought that the engine stumble was caused by the low fuel pressure. But since the last time the truck stumbled & threw the P0192 that my fuel pressure wasn't coming up to the 8psi (still around 4-5psi). I changed my fuel filter. That seemed to clear the fuel pressure issue not going up to the 8psi.

I've talked with Roark at Quad about this stumble & we both are still stumped. I can't repeatively cause this stumble.

But after this last stumble I did some more investigating. One thing that I noticed I have a slight stumble at idle that is independant of voltage & fuel pressure. There is also an occasional (for lack of a term) injector pinging at idle. I can hear the my valves need to be adjusted. I also checked the oil level which has not moved. So I don't think that I have a cracked injector (but could be wrong). One thing that I have noticed is that the truck now sounds more like a Gen 2 engine than a Gen 3 since the last engine stumble with the thrown code.

I have religiously used 16oz PS during every fillup for antigel during winter & to help clean the injectors.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I figured more info I gave up front would help. I would like just to get to the bottom of this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:45 PM

My truck has just recently started with 0192 codes as well as 0116 (coolant temp low voltage - where the Commander plugs in for water temp). I also feel that cold weather is having some kind of effect, in some way. Are you getting the occasional stumble right after start up?

I dont know what the fuel pressure is on mine yet, since I havent found a soulution to installing that fuel pressure sender with the Jake Brake.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Have you checked the connections on the Quad harness? My truck was doing something similar and it turned out to be a cracked plug on the Quad harness where it plugs into the fuel pressure sensor.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:01 PM

I haven't had any stubble issues since I have switched to NORELCO!

OK SORRY I JUST HAD TO DO IT!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by reb0957
I haven't had any stubble issues since I have switched to NORELCO!

OK SORRY I JUST HAD TO DO IT!
I DON'T GET IT ...lol