3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Strange Noise When Taking Off

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Noise When Taking Off

Got a strange noise/bump/bang/feeling of something moving when taking off from a dead stop. It doesn't do it all the time and the intensity of seems to change a little from time to time. Most of the time it happens just after the truck starts moving. It feels like something in the rear suspension is moving and the noise seems to resonate up the drive shaft. I had a friend stand outside the truck and he thought the noise was more pronounced on the left side. I've looked around underneath and don't see or feel anything loose. No visible evidence of anything moving. Not U-Joints or loose shocks. Anybody experience anything such as this?

Truck is 03QC short bed with a 6spd.

Thanks

Jester
Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently replaced a u-joint that made the truck shudder as I took off from a stop. It had gotten progressively worse. When I checked it I found it was not loose at all, but it was pretty warm to the touch immediately after driving. Upon replacement I found all the needle bearings were still there, but it was dry as a bone and I think it would have had a complete failure before too long. Your symptoms sound similar to mine.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Det 1
I recently replaced a u-joint that made the truck shudder as I took off from a stop. It had gotten progressively worse. When I checked it I found it was not loose at all, but it was pretty warm to the touch immediately after driving. Upon replacement I found all the needle bearings were still there, but it was dry as a bone and I think it would have had a complete failure before too long. Your symptoms sound similar to mine.
Same here. Since new mine has always had a shudder when taking off from a standstill which got progressively worse. Just recently it started to have a bad shudder when coming to a stop. After removing the rear driveshaft and working the u-joints back and forth one was extremely tight. Upon disassembly I found this u-joint to have no grease at all in two of the caps. I replaced all three u-joints while I was at it. I now have no shudder upon take off. On a side note I got the u-joints from NAPA. They were the correct part number according to their computer but they are just a tad too wide. I didn't find this out until after installing one which I ended up having to burn it out with a torch. I ended up going to the dealer and got the OEM ones. They treat me good on the price. I paid $46 and some change each.