3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Strange Noise in Dodge 3500 after 'minor' wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Noise in Dodge 3500 after 'minor' wreck?

I recently had what I thought was a minor wreck in my 04 Dodge 3500. Hit right front bumper. About $3k in damage after all was said and done. No fender damage, no hood damage. Minor frame damage where connected to bumper. Did have to 'pull frame' a little bit to get back in line.

Here it the only catch...

Now, when braking at about medium pressure (lot low pressure or high pressure) a strange noise comes out of the engine area. It sounds kinda like a cross between an exhaust rattle and a brake grind. It seems to be coming from the front center of the engine area. No noise when idling, cruising, accelerating, light braking, or heavy braking. Seem to be a little more pronounced when braking moderately and turning.

Impossible to replicate when standing still so I have having a bear of a time figuring this one out.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 AM

Could it be that on braking, the engine moves forward a bit and a rotating part or the serpentine belt on the front of the engine is rubbing on some fixed part of the body or frame. Do any of the clearances look too close?
Ted
Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they replace the motor mounts? They can shear and as said above, when braking the belt or fan can make contact.

Also the power assist pump could have been damaged and be the noise.

Try different pedal pressures at different speeds and see if it stays the same and only make the noise with medium pressure.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by TedT
Could it be that on braking, the engine moves forward a bit and a rotating part or the serpentine belt on the front of the engine is rubbing on some fixed part of the body or frame. Do any of the clearances look too close?
Ted
My thoughts, too.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by TedT
Ted
It would do it durning hard braking then as well, I think.
Are you sure its not just a brake noise? Have you pulled the caliper and cleaned and lubed it?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:23 PM

I was afraid it could be something as serious as motor mounts. I am not sure how to fix that tho, so I will probably have a full time mechanic check it out. Thanks for the heads up on the power assist pump, I will check that out too.

The brakes were replaced just a few months ago, and the problem did not start until after I had the fender bender.

It only does it on medium pressure breaking,, you would think on hard braking it would do it too,, but no.

I did a braking test with the engine in neutral last night, to see if maybe it was a tranny issue,,, which it still could be,,, but it made the noise in neutral too.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 AM

Followup

For any folks searching this thread in the future I figured I would close it with what was determined....

My truck was diagnosed with a minor case of 'Brake Moan' and was told that is does occur from time to time with these trucks and that unless it gets worse, I do not need to worry about it. The wreck gave the whole vehicle just enough of a nudge to set it off.

"Brake Moan"..... interesting.