3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Stock BRAND NEW IN BOX

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock BRAND NEW IN BOX

Turbo off of a 2006 truck. Long story, it was a tiny dealer mistake that caused my old one to get louder. They forgot to change the airfilter a couple of times, and that sucked the airfilter down enough to allow unfiltered air to the motor.

That chipped the blades of the original turbo (coal dust)

So when i was on a quick trip to the US, It got real real loud.

Luckily Jason Burton happened to have a free bay, and a turbo that was not picked up yet to get me home (IE PSII 62/14)

So I went back to the dealer, and gave them a choice to pay the uprate bill or get me a new (not remanned turbo) because my old one (even with SMARTY TST had NO play in the shaft at all.)

The dealer treated me fairly. Since DC did not provide labor they would not pay any out, which is fair in my book. They could not auth paying for a non OEM part which again is fair.

Today, I got a call. My NIB turbo showed up. Complete with new cast elbow and boost sensor!

So what should i do with it?
Keep it or sell it. And If I were to sell it, what would be a fair asking price?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Id love to put that on my '04, but Im not well versed in making the wastegate from electronic to manual. I know nothing about that...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Got Juice?
Turbo off of a 2006 truck. Long story, it was a tiny dealer mistake that caused my old one to get louder. They forgot to change the airfilter a couple of times, and that sucked the airfilter down enough to allow unfiltered air to the motor.

That chipped the blades of the original turbo (coal dust)

So when i was on a quick trip to the US, It got real real loud.

Luckily Jason Burton happened to have a free bay, and a turbo that was not picked up yet to get me home (IE PSII 62/14)

So I went back to the dealer, and gave them a choice to pay the uprate bill or get me a new (not remanned turbo) because my old one (even with SMARTY TST had NO play in the shaft at all.)

The dealer treated me fairly. Since DC did not provide labor they would not pay any out, which is fair in my book. They could not auth paying for a non OEM part which again is fair.

Today, I got a call. My NIB turbo showed up. Complete with new cast elbow and boost sensor!

So what should i do with it?
Keep it or sell it. And If I were to sell it, what would be a fair asking price?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got Juice:

Just a reminder to you,.......if you decide to sell it don't post it here in the Forums, but go to the Classifieds O.K.??? Thanks!

----------
John_P
Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 AM

You got boned, I gaurantee you that if the turbo ate enough dust to damage it, the engine is not far behind. We occasionally have the same problem at work and almost always the engine has severe compression loss before any of the turbos fail completely. It's bad news for you, I hope the dealer will honor their work when the engine fails.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Minwy
You got boned, I gaurantee you that if the turbo ate enough dust to damage it, the engine is not far behind. We occasionally have the same problem at work and almost always the engine has severe compression loss before any of the turbos fail completely. It's bad news for you, I hope the dealer will honor their work when the engine fails.
About the only silver lining to this whole deal, is they have all the service records because they have done all the service work. Now with the turbo issue, they also have a paper trail in case there is problems down the road.

But I do hear where you are coming from.

I am thinking there is a BHAF in my future.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 AM

You could probably get $500+ for it brand new
Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
You could probably get $500+ for it brand new

Thanks. I'll be keeping it for a spare at this point. For storage, does anyone see anything wrong with filling the oil passages and taping them off?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 PM

I can tell you that it's a good idea but the tape may not hold the oil back. I pulled my brand new turbo off my truck and it sat under my workbech uncovered for several mnths and now that it's back on the truck it makes a howling noise. It had almost no miles on it... Now I had to buy a replacement from another member here.

Cover all passages........