3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Steering question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Steering question

Not sure if I have a problem starting, so hope someone here can offer some advice.

On a long, steady curve I can feel the steering wheel get a bit "light" and then tighten up about every 2 - 3 seconds. Tried parking the truck and just holding pressure on the steering wheel just short of actually turning the wheels and can feel the same thing.

To put it another way, it feels as though the P/S pump is slowly pulsing a high and low pressure.

Have recently changed the steering box and one high pressure hose. Can't say with any certainty, but do not remember this with the old box. The new steering box (Redhead) feels great with no free play.

Is what I am experiencing normal, or is there a problem starting, like with the P/S pump?
Old 03-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mexstan, have you been able to get any resolution for this issue? I've got a similar problem, but I notice mine only when rolling.

Thanks,

-Adam
Old 03-26-2015, 07:53 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Sorry, no resolution yet. I did call Redhead and asked if they had any customers that had experienced this problem, but they told me this was something new for them, so had no suggestions.

Have noticed something else. When backing up, turning and using brakes at the same time, heavier or lighter pressure on the brake pedal changes the feel of the steering wheel. Maybe this situation has something to do with the hydroboost?

Something I have on my truck that probably 99% of Ram owners do not, is a very good oil filter on the return line of the P/S pump. Installed this after my second P/S failure.

Let us know if you discover an answer to this perplexing problem.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mexstan,
I hate to say this, but your P/S system appears hopelessly contaminated after the first pump failure. It very likely killed the second pump and will eventually kill your current pump. Total disassembly of every component in the system is necessary with thorough cleaning. Anything less will not work and even that may not be possible leaving no choice but to replace every component and hose in the system.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:39 AM

You could be right, but in my case do not think so. Pump #1 and pump #2 both failed due to major leaks. They both worked perfectly otherwise. Pump #3 is a totally different design. Before installing pump #3 I installed a Parker Racor LFS 22825 6 micron oil filter system and that has been there now for many years. Theoretically that should have taken care of all system contamination by now. Have never seen the P/S oil change color at any time and is still a nice red color.

So my system has the redesigned Mopar P/S pump, the Redhead steering box and the Racor filter. Also in the system is a MileMaster 12,000 pound hydraulic winch.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 AM

OK, now I'm really confused, how does a hydraulic winch install into your PS system?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:39 AM

The winch uses the same pump as the steering.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you bypass the winch? Maybe it is causing air to enter the system on the pressure side? If you can eliminate that, since it seems to be the only thing not "stock" in the system. If that took care of the pressure problem, maybe the others would feel normal.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:23 PM

Yes I could, but would need to get some hoses made up.
How do you figure air can get in to the pressure side? Would it not leak first?
Old 03-31-2015, 01:22 AM

Actually, the symptoms indicate low oil and the pump is cavitating. This could be because of air in the winch system.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are right. I meant to say the winch may be letting air in the system. But still.....you are right about the leak.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:46 PM

So I've driven the truck another 300 miles since the first time I noticed the issue. Most of the driving was in town, with a top speed of 55mph, and only for a few minutes. During the in town driving, I didn't notice the issue at all.

Today, I drove 50 miles at 70mph, and as soon as I hit the highway off-ramp, I noticed the shimmy in the steering wheel again. Driving through parking lots, every time I turned left, it felt like a tire was binding and then releasing, almost like it was in 4-wheel drive. Additionally, when I opened the PS pump cap to check fluid level, it popped, as if it was pressurized.

I was leaning toward an axle u-joint, but the air pressure in the pump has me confused.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 PM

Air pressure in the tank seems to be normal. There have been many posts about this. All the P/S pumps that have been on my truck have popped when taking the cap off. Don't understand why this can be when the cap is supposedly vented, but it does.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the info on the P/S pump pressure. Sorry for the delay, but I figured I'd let y'all know I found my culprit. Driver's front axle u-joint was toast. It looks almost like it wasn't properly greased after initial installation, and a piece of junk got in and plugged one of the grease tubes. Oh well...at least the hub will be easier to take out when it goes bad in a few months
Attached Thumbnails Steering question-20150411_154448.jpg  
Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 AM

I have now replaced all my U Joints with high quality, greasable, joints. I regrease every 6 months. No problems.

Quick Reply: Steering question