3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Starting the 2003 Cummins! NAILED!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting the 2003 Cummins! NAILED!

K, here's the scoop with my starting issues.

There are so many threads I don't know whats what here regarding this. I had my truck reflashed last week, it started for them no problem. It has started for me all week no problem. Well this morning being 6 days after the reflash it acted up when I went to start it.
I think I have nailed the problem!
When I installed my FASS fuel pump all I did was add on a fuel line inside the tank and tiewrap it to the pickup on the sending unit. I suspected this might cause some issues but was excited to try the new pump and went with it. In the past couple of weeks I have noticed when crusiing down the highway at 3/4 tank my fuel pressure starts flucuating like crazy. I thought it was a transmitter but am convinced now that it's AIR. Well today after 6 mornings in a row of excellent starts the truck acted up on me and took 3 turns to get it going. FUNNY THING IS, the fuel level was below 3/4 tank.
Not sure how many of you have an after market suction line in your tank but I am convinced once I change this my problem is solved. The fuel must be backing through the FASS pump over the night and when you go to start there is air in the system the next morning until you crank it out.

A factory sending unit and suction system is onroute to me, should be interesting to see the results.

THOSE ARE MY TWO CENTS

Cheers
Old 11-07-2007, 10:25 PM

you had me all excided for a minute, if thats the case for you great, hope your right and it gets you going. BUT for the one im working on and lots others were still running on stock setups in the tank, and all this happens over night. Still points at a mechanical prob. to me. I removed the ez today and sending him to a diff. dealer tomorrow with instruction to do all reflash avail. and check cp3, and recheck injectors. This 80 year old dudes 04.5 only has 60,000 on the clock THEY need to find the problem. Dont take what i said wrong i sure hope youve found your bug, but that thought dont jive with ours. Good Luck
Old 11-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Dang, I thought there was some magic fairy dust that we could get to sprinkle on the valve cover to fix things once and for all. The "hard-start" problem has made my monthly beer expenditure increase threefold. Not only that, the other nite I was at the waterin' hole and spied a fair lass. Being suave like I am, I mosied over and said "Hey baby, whattaya know about a common rail fuel system?" She wasn't impressed, but see what this is doing to me.......????? - curtis
Old 11-08-2007, 12:54 PM

mine started long cranks when it was warm but as fine when cold, 2 weeks it left me stranded and would not start, called dodge they said it was the lift pump or injectors
took it in and said th LP was bad, on week later it did it again, call again they said it had to be injectors
took it in Monday they checked all the injectors the lift pump the pressure pump ... nothing wrong,today it acted up for them and found out it was the pressure relief valve was causing the problem?
should be fixed....
Old 11-08-2007, 01:12 PM

Are all dealers aware of this? I just wonder if I go in and ask them to check the pressure relief valve if they will humor me? Can they check this valve or is it a trial and error? My truck has never left me stranded, but it has forced me to crank several times on certain occasions to get her going.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:29 PM

when it acted up for them they narrowed it to the relief valve for sure
Old 11-08-2007, 01:40 PM

relief valve would be according to their tech line saying thats the next thing to replace.

500 bucks for a relief valve
Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM

And they shouldn't have to guess at that. The relief is the easiest thing to check in the whole system.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 PM

im with you cwoodall on that, dont no one carry it in and go through all the irratation if your just wanting to check the relief , that one part - check yourself. Take and loosen the banjo bolt or remove and start truck, yes diesel will come out of the metal hard line [return] but shouldnt come out of the relief valve its self , if it does its bad. You could choose to get a loan and replace it or cap it off if you can live with it. from what i understand under normal conditions this valve should never open in the life of the truck, what could fail and make pressures at an unsafe level, i dont know. does anyone