3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Sounds from the unknown

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sounds from the unknown

Ok, I know everybody on here has a noise, sound, click, tick or something in there engine. I’m trying to figure out what a noise is in my truck and if anybody has had a similar noise, anything broke, what did you find, and what was it. Kind of a trouble shooting guide. I have a specific question but if anybody else has problems (like sound clips of an injecter, rod, ect) feel free to post.

My main problem is a noise while cruising. Happens mostly from 1500 RPM to 2300 RPM. I’ll list all the symptoms below, and everything I’ve tried so far. I also have the 48 RE. The noise is kinda like a TV channel that is white noise and a clatter sound (yeah good description hu?)

1. Happens while cruising only, in gear

2. Coasting and Heavy fuel (more than ½ throttle) no noise

3. Under a load, no noise

4. Place in neutral while cruising around 65, noise goe’s away

5. Rev motor between 1500 and 2300 rpm while in N moving at 65 no noise

6. Rev motor between 1500 and 2300 rpm in N while parked, no noise

7. The tic can be heard while idling, kinda a tic. (very quiet here)

8. Quad box on makes the noise “more pronounced” or louder, Quad box off and the noise is still there but about half the loudness.

I know others have had bent rods, injectors go, this and that. While I’m not sure if this noise is serious or just increased combustion pressure who knows. I have the warranty so don’t really care if it blows up, and the dodge dealership is really really excellent with warranty work. My problem is they are not that qualified on the diesel trucks……. I know a lot about motors, any size, brand ect. Just diesels are a whole new world to me. Understand how they work ect, but noises that a diesel makes are different from a gas engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Keep up the great work. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I just don’t want this thing to break down while me and the wife are going out to PA, or to VA on vacation, over 800 miles away and if something happens, it’s gonna be a big deal. Thanks

Tom