3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

so why is it they don't want "wet" filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so why is it they don't want "wet" filter

just wondering why is it they don't want you to use a "wet" filter system??

also is there any "better" dry filter to just drop in the stock filter place?? As for modifiying my AIR system right now I would love to.. it is just I don't want to have to deal with the dealer and the factory warr. issues...
Old 10-15-2004, 07:51 AM

Consistency of the filtering media comes to mind. The paper filter will filter almost the same lot to lot, filter to filter. The 'wet' filters require user oiling (over, just right and under oiling) and don't filter dirt as well as paper filters.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I may be wrong here but I think the issue they have is that most wet filters as you put it do not have the filtering efficency of a dry one, hence the higher airflow. Thereby allowing more contaminants in. Various tests seem to hold this to be true (many people feel otherwise because their vehicle is still working fine after using one for hundreds of thousands of miles). However I thought I read that the newer AFE progaurd 7's do meet oem filter efficiency ratings. Another option might be the BHAF as it is an oem filter for larger trucks. It achieves better airflow due to sheer size. Do not know if a BHAF will fit in a 3rd gen or not though.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:46 AM

I think the reason that "wet" filters are allowing more airflow is because the contaminants get absorbed by the oil, and the oil moves around there by increasing air flow.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:48 AM

BarryG -

Yes the Donaldson BHAF will fit the new 2500 - check the 15 page post with the 5 STAR ***** rating under perf. and access. hats off to AK-RAM up by the Northern slopes in Alaska.. Guess we need to find another project for him to do....

I typed the question on this post right when I got out of bed and before I could think... I think it is a little of both... people not oiling correctly and potent. issues the the diff media... plus just manufacturing marketing... you can only buy from us
Old 10-15-2004, 12:24 PM

I think the big issue is with K&N. I have the AirAid filter and nothing but clean air gets through it. I have used K&N on gassers so I know how they are. I have not had a problem with them, but they are lighter than AirAid. The AirAid much more stout. I bought it from the Dodge dealer and they say the warrenty is okay.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:59 AM

It's real simple. With a wet air filter, there is no way a consistent result of proper oiling can be insured. I have had very good results with my aFe filters and others have had good things to say about K & N, but over oiled and under oiled can both cause serious problems.

BTW, the MOPAR cold air induction kit for my Durango came out of the factory sealed box with a K & N filter on it.