3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rough idle on 2006 manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough idle on 2006 manual tranny

I bought this truck last november, took it back to have a few things fixed and told them to check out the clutch because it seems to idle rough and when you have the peddle about halfway down you can hear a chattering sound. they said it doesn't slip, it's fine. tried to explain to him problems with the dual mass flywheels. he says he took it to the Dodge dealership and they said it was fine, that"s just how they run.

I gave in but it has always bothered me, then when my AC went out a friend who has had 2006 and 2007 dodge cummins looks at AC, first thing he says is that it idles really rough, only time he has seen that is when he broke a spring on the dual mass flywheel pulling a really heavy load.

Got AC fixed at a local garage with good reputation. He thinks the rough idle is from a bad injector. but that will not explain clutch noise, unless that is normal.

So what do you guys think, I still think DMF. Wouldn't a bad injector throw some kind of code? I am trying to figure this all out and then go back to see if they will pay for at least part of it if it is the flywheel. looking to get southbend.

sorry if to wordy

pacmule
Old 08-12-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my dual mass flywheel went out it would shake bad at idle too. Felt like it was giving me a message at stoplights. However, it never developed any noise until the single mass aftermarket options were installed. Are you sure the clutch is still factory? I yanked my 2nd single mass kit because of a funny vibration at idle, which worsened at 1500-1700 rpm and then went away at higher rpms, plus it made a strange bark-like sound when I would take off from a stop, or shift out of third. Going back to a factory dual mass solved all my vibration and noise issues with my manual.

I've read that injectors cause shakes and vibrations too- but I'm still running the same ones that came in my truck new (I'm the only owner) and have never had a problem with them.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:00 AM

the mechanic that thought it was an injector said they can get stuck open, or that the wires going to them could get broken causing a bad connection. It seems to me though that in either case it would turn on the check engine light and get give some code. but maybe not. I haven't had time to look at it any more yet

pacmule
Old 08-18-2014, 06:05 PM

I had a southbend 13" in my '98. it had the hard plastic type dampeners on the clutch, rather than springs, so it would transmit vibrations and cause the gears to rattle at low rpms. but my new truck is not like that at all, it is more of a shaking at idle, seems to be worse after you drive it a bit. goes away as you accelerate. the gear rattle of the southbend was noticeable at first because it was different, but before long I never noticed it any more.

The noise the '06 makes is subtle, easier to hear when the door is open. seems consistent with the shake. I envision it as the throwout bearing first making contact as the clutch and flywheel are shaking because it is worn and out of balance, of course I can't really tell without taking it apart.

pacmule
Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
In my experience (3 injector failures), the only time mine threw a code and/or CEL was when I had the solenoid fail. The truck went into limp mode where it shut off 3 of the cylinders.

The other two were cracked bodies that didn't throw a code or CEL, but they filled the crank case with fuel pretty darn quickly.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:31 AM

Mine will do the same type of minor vibration. Also no CEL. Check the 5 10MM ground bolts on the inside of you front fenders. I chased my problem for quit a while before cleaning the grounds fixed it.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:27 PM

I have an 06 Manual and do not have any noise at any position of the clutch peddle.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My 06 is quiet too.

A buddy had a vibration most notable at idle and down on power. Turned out one injector was pretty much dead. No CEL.

I was also looking at history of a used truck. It went in for vibration and dead miss on one cylinder. Turned out dropped a valve seat. A short time later it went back in for knocking from bottom of engine and vibration. Dual mass flywheel bad, apparently the dead cylinder took it out.

Anyway, I think a bad injector can cause noise and/or damage to the flywheel.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Update

So I called the dealer I bought it from, talked to service manager. He suggested I get it analyzed by a Dodge dealer. I did, $109. They said that without pulling the tranny can't be 100% sure but is definitely something inside there. Send report to dealer. Nothing. Starts getting worse, hunting season is coming I need my truck. Have local shop quote me for installing new South Bend kit. Do it. It is absolutely amazing! No vibration truck is smooth, gear shift is still at idle.
Finally talked to the guy who was going to decide what to do about it at the dealer. He says to long and to many miles, they will do nothing. The fact the truck was that way when they sold it to me does not seem to matter.
So truck is happy, I am happy but broke. If you are ever in Yuba City, do me a favor and honk your horn and give a big one finger salute to the A holes at Yuba City Toyota

Btw, the clutch disk is not bad, everything else was trash and falling apart
Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 AM

Do you know which South Bend kit they put in? How is the noise with the South Bend? Any gear roll over noise when running 1500rpms or less from the transmission?
Old 09-19-2014, 12:19 PM

Iona Gold, I got the g56 OK HD kit, rated to 425hp. Yes it will rattle the gears from 900 to 1250 or more if you are pulling a load ( hill ). It does not bother me, I had a Southbend in my last truck, I actually smiled when I first heard, brought back good memories
Old 09-19-2014, 02:13 PM

Thanks Pacmule- good to know what models make what kind of noise, etc.

I had the OFEK "good" to 475hp. It would rattle some all the time in the lower rpm band, worse with a load, but it wasn't terrible like my second SMF kit. It drove well too- just didn't last.