3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Removing a cat - implications?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When selling my 99.5 Ford F250 I caught some serious grief from my inspection shop as well as the state trooper in charge of MD inspections telling me that my truck required a CAT.

My truck rolled off the Ford line with no CAT installed and that exhaust was replaced with an aftermarket one without a CAT as well.

Since early 99 auto trucks and 99 manual trucks had a CAT the state claimed mine required a CAT as well, even though it did not come with one from the factory. They wanted me to spend well over a thousand dollars to put a new "stock" exhaust on the truck with a cat installed in order to pass inspection.

I acutally had to get Ford to write me a letter confirming that my truck with my VIN did not come from the factory with a CAT before the state would pass my truck.

The moral of the story is that if you live in Maryland, make sure you keep your stock exhaust if it is ever replaced with one missing the CAT.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:35 PM

In Texas, diesels are exempt.
Gassers are the only ones that get sniffed.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Gbeyer
In Texas, diesels are exempt.
Gassers are the only ones that get sniffed.
This issue about Texas and sniffer tests has me confused. Wife and I are in the middle of moving from the Florida Keys to Amarillo. She is out there working now. Just today she took her Jeep Liberty in for the required state inspection. I specificly asked her if they did a sniffer test on it. She said she stood there and watched 'em do the testing. Safety check only. No sniffer. They did hassle her about her side window tint and the sunshade on the windshield.

Is the sniffer test a requirement by county or what? Obviously there is no air quality problem in Amarillo.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
moterhead,

Texas requires higher emissions testing by county in and around counties with higher air pollution. This is pretty confusing as counties are added to the list as time goes by.

As far as diesels go there currently is no emission(sniffer) testing on truck diesel engines.

That doesnt mean that factory emission equipment on vehicles wont be checked. Although probably not.

At some point in the future deisels could be added to the emission testing. If this happens then cats and any manufacturer installed emission equipment would be required to pass.

I hope this does not happen, I dont remember where the kitty went, I think the dog chased it off.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:53 PM

HHhhhmmm, bad dog, baaaadddd dog!

Matt
Old 09-30-2004, 05:54 AM

Ramwheels, thanks for the explanation. I suspect that Amarillo will be one of the last areas to require emission testing. The wind blows there almost all the time. Actually both my Ram and wife's Jeep are completely stock and will likely remain so. My primary concern was the two Harleys which, like 99% of Harleys, are NOT stock.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:21 AM

As time goes on the testing will be more common.Usually what appears in Calif. sooner or later appears in the rest of the country.It will get more stringent over time.