3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Removing a cat - implications?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing a cat - implications?

I have read a lot of information about the pro's and con's of removing one from a mechanical standpoint.

Let's say, for purely educational purposes only, that an owner of a vehicle with a cat removes it. What could happen to said owner?

I have heard of serious fines from federal agencies, and have even heard that if the vehicle in question were taken in for warranty work that the entire warranty could be voided by the dealer.

What's the skinny?

Matt
Old 09-25-2004, 05:40 AM

From what i understand if your state does test, and its not there big fines. Dealers can void warrenties and turn you in from what i understand

and i also understand that by removing it you dont gain any mechanical advantage either. So why not leave it?
Old 09-25-2004, 07:47 AM

Leave the CAT swap out the muffler.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:27 AM

I installed a Geno's MEP (muffler elimination pipe), easy and it sounds great. I fear that my MPG will go down just because I love to hear the exhaust! Next week I need to make a towing trip of about 350 - 400 miles Ill see how it gos.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:34 AM

Sounds to me like it best to leave it in there, and not worry about what "could" happen.

I got 5" all the way south of the cat to the stacks. No muffler.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Matt
Old 09-25-2004, 10:12 AM

Once that thing starts sooting up I think you may see some kind of restriction or back pressure. Now the way these CR run with less smoke it might not be as big of a deal but there is still some, I can tell by my back bumper. If you add a chip or injectors, might as well yank out that cat b/c here comes the smoke.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have added air intake & tube along with Predator Stage II ( 85hp/160fpt) and I still can't make black smoke. It does accelerate a little smoooother now . My exhaust kit that was suppose to be in yesterday wont be here until Monday (@$!%6t). I don't think that will help make blace smoke though.

Can the cat and stock muffler soak up all the black smoke?
Old 09-25-2004, 06:50 PM

are there any warrenty issues if the muffler is removed?
Old 09-25-2004, 06:54 PM

Muffler warranty is void. Outside of that, unless they tried to say the vibrations from the louder exhaust killed something, I don't see how it would affect anything. Then again, times are tight, it's hard telling what a ******* would try to pull on ya.

Edit:

Wasn't swearing, just noticed that the auto edit doesn't care for the commonly used corruption of dealer.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:51 PM

Yup, yanking the muffler voids the warranty on the muffler. Big deal..... Doesn't matter 'cause it ends up in the trash anyways.

Yanking the cat though, once again outside of the pure mechnical and performance issues, is something different. It's sole purpose is emmissions related and wouldn't be there to begin with otherwise, in my opinion.

We don't have inspections in Indiana for one. On another note, the vehicle shows on all "relevant" paperwork as technically being a 2004. No cat on the '04's. However, someone with a sharp pencil could figure things out based upon the engine tag and the depression in the cross member that resides under said cat, amongst other things.

Honestly, what I needed to hear was the perspective on legal issues, not performance.

Personally from a pure performance standpoint, the cat is a hindrance.

Thanks for all the input!

Matt
Old 09-25-2004, 10:01 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Remember, even if your town or state doesn't have emissions testing etc. it's a violation of Federal Law to remove the CAT.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:26 PM

With as many people that have removed them on this site alone, how many have been pulled over for noise pollution or been cited for not having proper emissions. What do you guys in Texas do when it comes time for inspection every year? Just slide it back on? I saved my whole system JUST IN CASE I ever needed it for that reason alone.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 through 2002 didn't come with a catylitic converter,
so us that bough the last of the "Real Dodge Diesels" don't have to worry about it.
At least the non-California trucks didn't come with them.

If your truck had one to begin with, yes, you could get in trouble for it not being there anymore.

I've taken mine to the Dealership to get inspected each year,
I'm sure questions would arise if I took it to the corner emissions place to have it done.

phox
Old 09-25-2004, 11:20 PM

That about sums it up for the educational purposes of my questions.

Thanks again everyone!

Matt
Old 09-28-2004, 11:02 AM

Check out this thread.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=112306

Quick Reply: Removing a cat - implications?