3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Question while removing head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question while removing head?

I am removing the head on my Dodge for the 1st time.

Looking for some guidance on how to best access the bolts holding bracket that is behind injector#6? the one that has the slotted hole and I am to just loosen bolts and slide it out of the way. What is the easiest way to access and type of wrench can be used? Similar question regarding the banjo bolt that is on the rear of the head?

Was at these and just getting agitated trying to determine the best way to loosen these. Called it quits for tonight and hopefully it will seem much easier tomorrow when I continue.

Need to get injector #6 removed so I can start loosening head bolts and hoist this head out of the truck.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I've used a 13mm combination wrench and pry bar. That's the only way I have been able to break them loose. Put the pry bar up against the firewall and then push down on handle of pry bar. I've saved the skin on my knuckles by doing it that way for years. I only tighten them back up wrist tight when done. Hope this helps. You have to remove the wiper arms and take the cowl off, then the rubber plugs to remove the push rods on number 6 cylinder also. The wiper arms come off easy just lift up as if you were going to clean widow then just lift the lock up then remove wiper arm.
Bill
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
In case you didn't know this is what needs to be done to remove cylinder head

REMOVAL
Disconnect battery negative cables.
Raise vehicle on hoist.
Drain engine coolant.
Disconnect exhaust pipe from turbocharger elbow.
Remove turbocharger drain tube bolts at turbocharger. Cap off ports to prevent dirt or foreign material from entering.
Lower vehicle.
Disconnect air inlet temperature/pressure sensor.
Remove air cleaner housing and snorkel from the vehicle. Cap off turbocharger air inlet to prevent intrusion of dirt or foreign material.
Disconnect cab heater core supply and return hoses from the cylinder head and heater pipe.
Disconnect turbocharger oil supply line at the turbocharger end. Cap off open ports to prevent intrusion of dirt or foreign material.
Remove exhaust manifold-to-cylinder head bolts, spacers, heat shield, retention straps, and cab heater plumbing. Remove exhaust manifold and turbocharger from the vehicle as an assembly.
Remove cooling fan/drive/shroud assembly. (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ENGINE/RADIATOR FAN - REMOVAL)
Remove accessory drive belt (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE/DRIVE BELTS - REMOVAL).
Remove cooling fan support from cylinder block.
Remove upper generator bolt, loosen lower generator bolt, and rotate generator away from cylinder head.
Disconnect radiator upper hose from the thermostat housing.
Disconnect the Intake Air Temperature/Manifold Air Pressure, and Coolant Temperature sensor connectors.
Remove the engine harness to cylinder head attaching bolts and P-clips at front of head.
Remove the intake air grid heater wires from the grid heater.
Remove engine oil level indicator tube attaching bolt at fuel filter housing bracket and inlet air connection..
Remove the charge air cooler-to-air inlet housing pipe.
Remove the engine wire harness attaching bolt and wire harness push-in fastener from air inlet housing.
Remove the air inlet housing and intake grid heater from the intake manifold cover.
Remove the two grid heater harness-to-cylinder head attaching bolts at front of cylinder head.
NOTE: Extreme care should be used to keep dirt/debris from entering the fuel lines. Plastic caps should be used on the ends of the fuel lines.

Remove the high pressure pump to fuel rail fuel line as follows:
Loosen fuel line nuts at fuel pump and at fuel rail.
Use a back-up wrench on the fitting at the fuel pump to keep it from loosening.
Remove the fuel rail to cylinder head fuel lines as follows:
Loosen No. 6 high pressure fuel line shield and position out of way.
Loosen the fuel line nuts at the fuel rail and at the cylinder head. Use a back-up wrench on HPC nut.
Remove the fuel line bracket bolts at the intake manifold cover.
Remove the engine lift bracket from the rear of the cylinder head.
Remove the fuel rail as follows:
Remove fuel rail pressure sensor connector.
Remove banjo fitting at pressure limiting valve.
Remove fuel rail bolts and fuel rail.
Remove the low pressure lines as follows:
Remove the fuel drain banjo fitting on the front side of fuel filter housing.
Remove the fuel drain banjo fitting on rear side of fuel filter housing.
Remove the fuel drain line support bracket on rear side of filter housing.
Disconnect fuel drain hose.
Remove banjo fitting at bottom of fuel filter housing.
Disconnect fuel supply hose at fuel filter.
Disconnect fuel heater, and water in fuel sensor.
Remove the fuel filter assembly-to-cylinder head bolts and remove filter assembly from vehicle.
Remove wire harness P-clip from cylinder head (located behind filter housing).
NOTE: For early builds. Verify that the cylinder head cover ground spring is retained in the cylinder head cover.

Remove the cylinder head cover(Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD/CYLINDER HEAD COVER(S) - REMOVAL).
For early builds. Disconnect rocker housing injector harness connectors.
Remove injector harness nuts from injectors.

1 - ROCKER ARM
2 - PEDESTAL

Remove the rocker levers (1), cross heads and push rods. Mark each component so they can be installed in their original positions.
NOTE: The #5 cylinder exhaust and the #6 cylinder intake and exhaust push rods are removed by lifting them up and through the provided cowl panel access holes. Remove the rubber plugs to expose these relief holes.

Remove the fuel return line and banjo bolt at the rear of the cylinder head. Be careful not to drop the two (2) sealing washers.
Remove the fuel injectors (Refer to 14 - FUEL SYSTEM/FUEL INJECTION/FUEL INJECTOR - REMOVAL).
Remove rocker housing bolts and rocker housing and gasket.
Reinstall the engine lift bracket at the rear of cylinder head. Torque to 77 N·m (57 ft. lbs.).
Remove twenty six (26) cylinder head-to-block bolts.
Attach an engine lift crane to engine lift brackets and lift cylinder head off engine and out of vehicle.
Remove the head gasket and inspect for failure.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 AM

Bill,
Thanks will give that a try today. Had the steps from manual and already have valve train/pushrods removed.
These last couple of blind bolts just were just testing my patience.

Thanks Again for the tip.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM

Just an update.. talked with a local person I trust with diesels. He assured me I could take the #6 injector out without moving the plate. He was correct. By using a wrench to loosen the connector tube nut I was able to remove the #6 injector. Head will be coming off now.

After I have head off I will remove and clean up this rear bracket/bolts. Put a little anti seize on these bolts before they go back on so hopefully any future attempts will be an easy task.

Just thought this tip may be useful for someone else in the future that runs into same issue I did.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
subcribed. Thanks for the detailed removal instructions!