3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Question for the Amsoil guys?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry this is off topic guys... but im running royal purple in my truck now, im wanting to run amsoil and was wondering if by just dropping the purple and putting in amsoil will hurt anything? i know they are both synthetic, but i just wanted other opinions.... thanks.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mossyoak11
sorry this is off topic guys... but im running royal purple in my truck now, im wanting to run amsoil and was wondering if by just dropping the purple and putting in amsoil will hurt anything? i know they are both synthetic, but i just wanted other opinions.... thanks.
Nope, switch away.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:59 PM
PCM

I have run Amsoil full synthetic since the 20k mark. I did not switch to synthetic until then because I read on the Cummins website that they do not suggest changing to synthetic untill then. I, also, have a FS-2500 oil bypass filter system. Regardless, I change the oil per the longest scheduled maintenance interval until the engine warranty is over.
Therefore, I change mine once/year (the longest oil change interval) since I only drive about 6k a year. I would keep the minimum change interval in mind while the engine is in warranty. Just my opinion.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:22 AM

I change every oil every 10,000 unless oil analysis says other wise. Stock filter is changed @ 5,000 along with fuel filter and by pass is changed @ 10,000. If you want longer intervals I would do oil analysis.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:28 PM

I have used the Amsoil with Dual bypass since 10k..

15/40 diesel

Change the full flow filter and makeup oil every 5k.
At 25k I change all oil, full flow filter and bypass filter.

131k on the odometer and running strong..
Old 09-14-2009, 03:04 PM

If I'm not mistaken the Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter or its equal is good for 7500 miles for severe service so why waste money changing it out at 5K?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 PM

I change mine at 5k, oil and filter. Going to go probably 6k this time, and get an anaysis done and see what it says. My last one got lost, and the place couldn't careless, was a **** off, so going somewhere else now. Can't go to much longer anyway because it nears the 1 year though anyway
Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mocho
I change mine at 5k, oil and filter. Going to go probably 6k this time, and get an anaysis done and see what it says. My last one got lost, and the place couldn't careless, was a **** off, so going somewhere else now. Can't go to much longer anyway because it nears the 1 year though anyway
what oil are you using ?? Just bought my truck .. The dealer had the ol changed with dino. Book says at 7500 change oil.. I may go 6k & change to synthetic
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by hector
what oil are you using ?? Just bought my truck .. The dealer had the ol changed with dino. Book says at 7500 change oil.. I may go 6k & change to synthetic
Amsoil 5w40. Wouldn't even consider dino oil again, truck starts a lot better in the cold with synthetic.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mocho
Amsoil 5w40. Wouldn't even consider dino oil again, truck starts a lot better in the cold with synthetic.

I have been considering Amsoil or Delvac..Amsoil cost more than Delvac... Haven't decided yet which to use
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 PM

For any diesel early than '08 I recommend the HDD 5w 30 oil. It is what I use in my '00 powerstroke. I immediately noticed a smoother/quieter idle, higher oil pressure and it bumped my mileage by 1.

I will be taking my oil to 15K and then doing analysis. It can go to 25K but our turbos make it a severe service application where the recommendation is 15K. Those of you changing your filters before you change your oil are wasting money. They are guaranteed for 25K, changing them at 5K is leaving a bunch on the table. I would recommend an off the shelf brand if you are set on changing at such an early interval.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by hector
I have been considering Amsoil or Delvac..Amsoil cost more than Delvac... Haven't decided yet which to use
I am undecieded if i'd used Amsoil if I had to do it over. I haven't been to pleased with their customer service, but the product seems to be pretty good. I was not happy when I got a letter demanding I owe them money, when my account is cash, some reason they screwed it up and though I didn't pay for a order I picked up. I though it was error (it was) and ignored it, and a nasty letter followed, only reason I still use their products is because I don't want to change brands in my truck now. Not to happy when I had to have the hassle of faxing them my bill and bank statement to prove I paid for the products when THEY screwed up....And in the last 2 years their prices have went up stupid amounts, probably 30%.

Fact is, Royal Purple, Lucus, Redline, and Amsoil are all about the same quality of oil. It is nice to have a distribution center a 10 min drive away though. I stopped using their oil in my sled, went from $27 gallon to $45 I think last year, just stupid.

The only place I noticed a bit of difference is the motor for winter starting, but that is simply because it is synthetic, ANY brand would do it. Diffs, tranny, T-case, absolutely no change. And no I didn't gain 10 MPG with Amsoil either!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 AM

I've been running Amsoil in every oil lubricated part in my truck since 2006. I run the oil for 10k miles and change the Fleetguard Stratapore filter every 5k miles. To this date i've never had a oil analysis done. Seeing that people run their oil upwards of 15k miles and beyond, I' m wondering how much money i've been throwing away. lol

What does Amsoil want for their bypass kit? I 'm thinking it might be worth it to install one.

To the people who live in the cold areas(-25*) and colder, do you run the 15w-40 all year long? I' ve been doing that and haven't seen any ill effects.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:11 AM

I don't think anybody is claiming more than .5-1.5 mpg improvement. I've never heard of over 2.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
What does Amsoil want for their bypass kit? I 'm thinking it might be worth it to install one.
I just bought a kit for mine, for a single remote mounted bypass filter setup, MSRP is:

mounting kit (adapter, hose, fittings) - $191
bypass spin on filter, 2 micron - $37
billet filler cap for return - $50

Of course, if you're meticulous, you'll need to spend some time planning the hose routing, swapping out a couple fittings and maybe making an adapter bracket. Mine will be mounted under the passenger side outside the frame rail. I plan to make a deflector since the filter is right behind the front wheel.

I didn't buy the filler cap. I hope I can do it some other way. I'd like to tap the side of the valve cover for the return.

Quick Reply: Question for the Amsoil guys?