3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering leak

On my 5.9 Cummings Dodge 3500 ram megacab, I have what looks like power steering fluid dripping off the under side of the radiator and fan shroud. Normally wouldn't think much of it just replace the pump or reservoir. Problem is I never have to add any fluid. I drive the truck about 30 miles, park it leaks by dripping off the fan or radiator, I check it the level is still fine. I have also checked the transmission also and the fluid level is also good. What could it be? Need help please
Old 01-12-2018, 02:12 PM

Might be coolant. Check the water pump. It has a weep hole on the bottom side that will be wet if the pump seal is going out.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by jmckelvy
Might be coolant. Check the water pump. It has a weep hole on the bottom side that will be wet if the pump seal is going out.
yeah I know it' not coolant. It' red and thick like power steering fluid. Also radiator, and water pump have been replaced with no leaks.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by micahcunningham
On my 5.9 Cummings Dodge 3500 ram megacab, I have what looks like power steering fluid dripping off the under side of the radiator and fan shroud. Normally wouldn't think much of it just replace the pump or reservoir. Problem is I never have to add any fluid. I drive the truck about 30 miles, park it leaks by dripping off the fan or radiator, I check it the level is still fine. I have also checked the transmission also and the fluid level is also good. What could it be? Need help please
if everything is always full, you don't have a leak!!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 PM

I understand that is the most logical thing, but something is leaking that is red and its dripping off the radiator underneath the fan.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Get a sheet of cardboard and lie down under the truck with it beneath you. Take your flashlight, and carefully look at all the lines that run up to the front, and inspect for leaks.

That's what would do.

If you find something questionable, and you don't know what it is, or what to do, take a few photos, and post them here, on your thread. I'm sure someone can help
Old 01-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I would focus on any transmission cooler lines and hoses in the vicinity. A leak like you describe may only require the loss of an ounce or two of fluid to make a big drippy mess. You would notice if your power steering was an ounce or two low, because the reservoir is very small, but you would never notice a small loss like that on your transmission dipstick.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Are the newer trucks equipped with red (long life) antifreeze ?

or is your AF green ? or red ? Look in the overflow container on the inner fenderwell (the thing that catches the fluid from the radiator)

PS fluid should be clear, or slightly yellow, unless someone swapped it out for ATF. Pull the PS fluid dip stick out, wipe it on a paper towel, and see what color it is.

If your PS fluid is clear, and your antifreeze is green, you have a transmission fluid leak, most likely the lines that lead to the trans cooler at the front of the rig. In my ride, the trans cooler is separate from the Radiator. No clue what yours is, so again, look under there and see where the lines go. Either to the bottom of the radiator, or around the radiator, through the radiator support panel, and to a separate cooler (mini radiator)

Hello ? Anyone out there?