1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 11:52 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
power steering leak

Those &quot;guaranteed&quot; stop the leak products never work for me!<br>So, I've got to do some wrenching cuz the leak is making a mess of the &quot;bricks&quot; undercarriage. <br><br>If you have done this repair what was the culprit? The seals in the power steering pump or a vacuum pump gone bad?<br>Are the seals a pain to replace? Bushy has mentioned a senario where the vacuum pump destroyed a number of new ps pumps. <br>Just trying to figure out what I'm up against!<br><br>Chris
Old 03-01-2003, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:power steering leak

Bigredbrick, do you have any idea on where you seen this post about the vac. pump. I have a buddy that has a 90 W250 and he claims a garage has put on 3 new p/s pumps in the last 6 months for a total of 4 with the original, and all have the same exact problem (seems kind of odd...doesn't it?). Anyhow, I looked at his truck and it appeared he had a little leak in the return line right where it comes out of the p/s box, so I'm gonna put lines on it and see if that helps, I doubt it will. When I have to add any fluid to my trucks I always use Lucas stop leak to top off the res. You say ya don't have any luck with the additives, I think, it's been a while since I read a bottle, but if the leak still persists you should keep using until it stops, I think that is how they have it worded. If you know where to find those other posts I'd appreciate the info.<br>Rick
Old 03-03-2003, 11:11 PM

Junk Yard Dog,<br>Go to Dieselram.com, 1st Gen.- sudden power steering failure, for a reply by BushWakr aka Bushy. He may have posts at TDR about this as well.<br>I've run most of a bottle thru my ps pump and all over the underside of the truck! I've got to clean it up then carefully check to see where its coming from. If its leaking from the front of the ps pump the vac pump could be the culprit due to excessive runout. I hope not. I'd rather spend my money on &quot;fun&quot; stuff!<br>Chris<br>
Old 03-04-2003, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was leaking at the output shaft. I ran a bottle of Lucas stop leak thru the pump and all over the underside, and the garage floor. &gt; I told my NAPA guy it didn't work, he said try one more. I did (reluctantly), and it finally stopped it for a year now. You might want to give it some more time. Junk Yard Dog is right.

Edit: I just got to thinking, it was the input that was leaking on mine, not the output. ???
Old 03-09-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this site but not to Dodge Trucks('81 RC w 9&quot; lift and 36&quot;Cepeks) and have had Power Steering leaks before. Matter of fact I just did one on my '93 W250 last weekend. If yours is leaking where mine is then you need a seal kit for the power steering box where the steering shaft comes into the box. Most local parts stores have it but if not I think Mopar still sells it for about the same price. It's around $14 and it really works. It comes with a couple of gaskets, an o-ring and a snap ring. I put one in my RC about 7 years ago and never another drop was leaked. So far so good on the W2 also. Make sure someone orders you the kit for the steering shaft and not the PITMAN arm shaft-not compatible. Let me know if you need any info. I'll try to find a part number for you and post it.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'll give the Lucas fluid a try. The leak is from the ps pump itself not the steering box.<br>Chris